Bangalore to Mumbai - Trip on the 7th November - Suggest Routes

Thread Starter #1
All,

I am planning to go to Mumbai (parents stay there) on the 7th of November in my Polo and would require experts here to suggest the route which can be taken. I know there is only one single route (NH4) but if anyone has done this trip before, would be of great help if you can fill me up with details as to if there are any construction going on, or any place where I can stop to fill my all-the-time-hungry stomach.

Right now my plan is to leave BLR by 4am and touch the NH4 by 4:20am or so.
Considering my driving(new car, so 60-70km) i am expecting to be in Mumbai by 5pm the same day or maximum by 7pm or so.

Also, if someone can educate me with the things that has to be taken care of before such a trip can be very very useful.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

Hi Rajeev,

As you mentioned NH4 is the best road no exceptions !! But keeping your speed in mind I am not sure you can reach Mumbai in your expected time frame as there are lots of diversion till chitradurga & will surely eat up a lot of time. From this place Gorguntapalya you have a board which says Mumbai 1000 kms. Drive extra carefully till chitradurga as they have diversions (Too Many) & immediate speed breakers (Lot Many). You can take other roads like Via Bijapur & AP but they are long am not sure about road conditions there. From Chitradurga you can cruise without any interruptions. Just Follow the same Road which leads to Hubli-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Pune-Mumbai.

Eat-Outs : There are ample lots in this road (mainly dhabas). If you start by 4AM then you can easily reach Kamat nearby Ranibennur for your breakfast. Its on the left side a very gud place to stop. Depending on your appetite you can stop either at Hubli or Belgaum for Lunch you can find good restaurants there.

Keep ample lots of small change & handy cash as this road is filled with toll booth & you may end up spending close to 400 for the toll.

Since you are driving in day time it would not require too much of planning. Enjoy your drive & Drive Safe. Hope this helps mate.

Happy Motoring
Santosh

@Rajeev,

NH-4 is correct route, do not think of trying any other. As Santosh said yes once you cross Chitradurga you can just cruise, but since you car seems new one, do not cross 100kmph.

With those kind of speeds, it is just impossible that you reach by evening. I suggest you have to take a break somewhere at a nice Dhaba. Park your vehicle and sleep and proceed early in the morning. This will be the safe mode of driving such a long distance.

There was one nice thread about this Mumbai-Bangalore stretch with some New ford fiesta A/T car. Please search in the forum, you will get it, or send a PM to 350Z who will help you with that.

Thread Starter #5
Santosh,Gurrala - Thanks for the suggestions mates.Well i am just averaging my speed to 60-70..but wont drive till Mumbai at 60-70 for sure.and yes, i did hear that till chitradurga there are couple of diversions and after that my left foot will thank me endlessly I guess, if you know what I mean.

And Santosh, my plan is to reach Belgaum by afternoon for Lunch. Got a confirmation now from dad that his driver is vacationing in Kolhapur(his native) and is slated to return on the 4th of November. So, he has asked him to stay back for 3 more days and then I can swap driving with him from Kolhapur onwards. So, as of now the main idea is to get to Belgaum or Kolhapur for that matter by 3ish. So that I can reach home(Kharghar,Navi Mumbai) by 7ish or by 8.

Ironrock - thanks for that mate. Will help me a lot.

Thread Starter #6
Ok, now that I have a fair bit idea about the places, I have chalked out a plan of myself (thanks a million to ironrock for his extensive review on fiesta from Mum-BLR), I am dead sure I wont reach home by 8 leave alone 7[roll]. I will atleast be easily 10pm for me to reach home. So here is a rough plan(thanks to excel!!),considering my car is new, i really dont want to push the limits, this plan seems it might work out. But this is still a rough idea.

Please do not hesitate to add in more details to that. Again, I said 60-70kmpl considering the fact its gonna be the lowest I ll be driving at and I am sure I will not touch such lows once I am on the NH4(for sure) [;)]

Attachments

Last edited:
Bangalore to Kolhapur is max 10 Hrs journey (including breaks) you are being on the safer side by taking 12 hrs for it.
Kolhapur to Kharghar max 5:30 hrs, again you are being safe by 30 mins.

In my opinion you should be able to reach well before 10 pm to kharghar (considering avg speed 80 kmph)

Thread Starter #8
Sandip, thanks, and yes I am just considering those timings as the timings in case of a worst case scenario(which I believe should not happen) so yes, I do intend to reach Kharghar by 8 or 9pm.

Also, ironrock, dude the post and the drive was superb, I have heard my dad telling me that the NH4 roads are heaven for your left foot and with sparse traffic or zilch traffic,as you mentioned,120kmpl can be easily touched within couple of minutes of the drive.

Rajeev0508,

I travelled through this route 4 times in last 18 months. Latest was in June this year.

Do not think of any route other than NH4 (it is NH48 now).

From Pune, it should be Pune - Mumbai Expressway.

You may have to pay a toll of approx. Rs 800 to 900.

From Tumkur till Chitradurga, there are several diversions due to six lane work.

Between Hubli and Belgaum, there is a two line stretch.

Also watch for speed breakers near Hubli.

If you are driving at night, indications are deceiving. There are indicators on the road and you slow down and find out there is no speed breaker. Its repeated again within 1 km. You ignore the indicator for the third time and you end up in a stupid hump (made in a crude way). Many times speed breakers appear without any indication also. This stupidity is seen in a stretch of about 40 km near Hubli in Karnataka.
(This type of spead breakers were more on the other side; Pune - bangalore than the Bangalore - Pune side)

As usual watch out for vehicles, cattles, bullock carts etc on your wrong side that too in fast lane.

Here is the thread about my travel.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/4385-kerala-daman-single-day.html#post89957

Initial pages of this thread also could be useful.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...eri-chitradurga-mysore-kerala.html#post170477

Hey Rajeev,

Now you have got nice info from IR and Auto Safari, but only the thing is IR drove a A/T Fiesta where there is no need of using left leg and he must have cruised just like that as its one awesome car where a 160kmph also cannot be notice by drive if you do not look at the speedo and Auto Safari also cruised with his Manza I hope as the road will be really tempting and one cannot resist going below 100kmph, so the time schedules you have planned may vary from those of IR & AS, so have a check on them with your speed decided.[:)]

Thread Starter #11
Thanks Autosafari and Gurrala. Yes, its gonna be really tempting for me to get the car below 100kmpl for sure, specially when its such an amazing road. I do not prefer night driving at all, so the drive is gonna be a day drive completely. But still, thanks for those info Autosafari, will help me a lot on the same.

One more thing to keep in mind from Iron_rock's post is that his average speed was 80KMPH in his entire journey and you have estimated your average speed as 60-70 kmph. So plan accordingly. All the best. [;-)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Yup Dharmesh,will have to do something about the speed. But I am pretty sure I will reach 100kmpl as my average. In that case I need to alter my timings as well. But lets see. I really want to reach Belgaum before Lunch so that my driver has ample time to drive back home. And the other thing is that I am really looking forward for the drive on the expressway more than of that on the NH. [:)]

Rajeev,

You will miss the Tumkur - Chitradurga stretch. Such a nice wonderful road is cut of now for six lane work and its with lot of diversions.

It was this part of the road which we found the best during our trip last year. We could test 170 kmph in this road. Infact we felt this road better than Mumbai - Pune E way.

You cannot maintain 60- 70 kmph in many stretches of NH4. It will be 90, 100 and beyond that without you realising about it.

Always keep it below 100 kmph.

As I have posted earlier, be cautious about stray vehicles - cars, bikes, tractors, trucks, buses - and even cattle, bullock carts, horses, people coming opposite to you in fast lane. Prepare for this till you reach Belgaum.

Belgaum - Kolhapur is a fine road.

You may find increased road discipline once you reach Maharashtra. But still, remember that anything can happen in Indian roads.

Thread Starter #15
Sure autosafari, thanks for that, and yes the road discipline is much better on MH roads than in KA roads.

OT - was just reading your thread from Daman to "Keralam" - frankly speaking, it brought back my childhood memories. Now thinking of the second trip already ,BLR to PGT. [:)]

Top Bottom