Bangalore To Mangalore and Back - Pilgrimage Spots

Thread Starter #1
Planning a trip to Mangalore and back, during first week of October 2016, in my XUV. It's only me and Wiffy, no kids or elders.

1. Need to cover most of pilgrimage spots - such as - Kukke Subramanya, Dharmasthala, Sringeri, Udupi, and optional Horanadu / Kollur / Murudeshwar.

2. Time is not a constraint - I can spend few days en-route, and sign off with couple of days to relax - preferably in Mangalore - before returning to Bangalore.

Please suggest route, road conditions, hotels to stay (and how to book them?).

1. Need to cover most of pilgrimage spots - such as - Kukke Subramanya, Dharmasthala, Sringeri, Udupi, and optional Horanadu / Kollur / Murudeshwar.
Please suggest route, road conditions, hotels to stay (and how to book them?).
I think it may be better to complete destinations from north to south, since you want to rest for a couple of days in Mangalore. The alternative will also work, if you can shift your rest to Murudeshwar.

I am not sure if you can combine religious with not-so-religious-context in a tour. I have heard that once you complete your God-chores, you go straight home. However the following recommendations has not taken this into account! So, chill.

Day 1: Kollur visit. Stay at Kollur.

I would suggest to take. Bangalore - Kunigal - CR Patna - Arsikere - Shimoga - Ayanur - Ripponpet - Hosanagar - Kodase - Nagara - Nittur - Kollur. Good roads all the way. 8+ hrs.

Kollur stay. You can try Mookambika Palace.

Day 2: Sringeri / Horanadu visit. Stay at Udupi.

Kollur - Sringeri: Either via Agumbe or Thirthahalli. About 2.5 - 3.5 hrs journey.

Sringer - Horanadu: I am not sure about this route. Google says 1.5 hrs, 42 kms.

Horanadu - Udupi: Via Same - Kudremukh - Karkala - Udupi. Karkala - Udupi you have route choices as well.

Most of these roads are good. Udupi has umpteen options for stay.

Day 3: Either you can do Horanadu on Day 3, if you feel the travel is heavy on Day 2. In that case, you have may to stay in homestays near by or up/down from Udupi.

Day 4: Udupi

Day 5: Dharmasthala & Kukke visit. Mangalore stay.

Udupi - Dharmasthala: Udupi - Karkala - Moodbidri - Ujire - Dharmasthala. ~3 hrs.

Dharmasthala - Kukke Subrahmanya: 1-2 hrs depending on the route. You don't need to go all the way to Gundya and then turn right. I am not aware of the road conditions here. Sometimes the river overflows. There's a detour of 20kms or so available. Ask the locals, just in case.

Kukke Subrahmanya - Mangalore: Nellyadi - Uppinangadi - Bantwal - Mangalore. Once you join the NH 75 (new numbering), roads are good. The other option is to go via Panja - Puttur - Bantwal. Other forums members to pitch in for the route conditions.

Day 6/7: Probably Mangalore.

Day 8: Mangalore - Bangalore. Shirdi ghats is the default route. Not sure if the rains had washed away top layer / craters formed. You may as well try the Charmadi ghats. The regulars of Bangalore - Mangalore can pitch in for the latest report.

Note:
I am not well versed with the temple timings. So I leave the micro-planning to you!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Thankyou @casualsurfer. appreciate your valuable inputs. since I have nearly a month to go, I shall definitely work on my plan to suit the needs. shall keep posted on this thread.

Thread Starter #4
Finally, I took the trip and my notes are ready to be shared. Need help with the same.

I want to insert pictures in between my narrative text. How do I do it? from what I tried and know, all the picture ends up at the bottom.

Finally, I took the trip and my notes are ready to be shared. Need help with the same.
Waiting to hear all about it.

I want to insert pictures in between my narrative text. How do I do it? from what I tried and know, all the picture ends up at the bottom.
This link should help you. Notice the ATTACH tags. That tag could be cut+pasted between your texts. Use preview to see if everything is fine. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...g-pictures-videos-google-maps-your-posts.html

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Reporting this trip late – the actual trip was taken during 1st week of October ’16. Better late than never; hope this helps TAIgers.

Planned for a religious trip during October – right during Navarathri/Dussehara period. Though you would certainly expect mad rush in pilgrimage places, I decided to take the trip because I could take leave for a week during this period. And me and wiffy decided to ditch the kids because they were not too keen to visit temples.

The plan was to visit Dharmasthala, Kukke Subramanya, Udupi, Sringeri, Kollur, and surrounding. After enquiries and some search on the net, decided to make Mangalore as our base and move around. As it turns out, my best buddy has a fully furnished flat in Mangalore, available for us to host.

Pict1.jpg

Day 1 – We set our trip on a Monday, to beat the weekend blues. Started from Bangalore (Banaswadi) at around 8AM, after breakfast at New Krishna Bhavan. The plan was to reach Mangalore by lunch, a distance of 350 KMs door-to-door, and google map showed 6:30 hours; I knew I was pushing but that’s the way I am. Of course, goes without saying – Safety ALWAYS comes first. Cruised at decent speed all the way up to Hassan when the road shrunk from 4 lane to 2 lane. I had visited Sakleshpur a year ago, hence knew the condition of the road, which gave me confidence. Maintained an average of 100~120 KMPH throughout, until the road shrunk to 2 lane. Wiffy wanted to take a break hence took a pit stop around Sakleshpur so we did (at Aashritha / Surabhi’s).

sakleshpur3.png

After a ~30 minute break, we resumed our journey. The road immediately after Sakleshpur is fixed now – it’s a wide cement road, passing adjacent to the river, and few small water falls. Beautiful! But it gets really bad after that – for a stretch of 20~25 KM. I saw some road construction equipment’s hence hope they’ll be fixing it sooner than later, similar to the cement road. The road gets better again after Gundya – though narrow, the road condition is decent all the way to Mangalore.

sakleshpur to gundya 1.png
sakleshpur to gundya 2.png.jpg

On Day 2 – we were set for a long day. Started the trip again around 8.30AM, and reached Udupi Sri Krishna Temple sooner than expected. Though there were some bad / busy stretches of road, dealing with Bangalore traffic and some assertive driving skill with presence of vehicle helps. Close to KIOCL, the truck traffic, railway level crossing, etc., slows down the traffic. But it is not as bad as one would expect. The new toll road gives you some relief and you could make up for the lost time. Little bit of wait as they release the pilgrims in batches, which took some ~15 mins.

Day 2 route1.png
Udupi 2.jpg.png

Inside the temple complex, we witnessed the presence of Sri Vishvesha Tirtha Swamiji, and other swamiji’s. After a relaxed visit to the surrounding temples and some shopping, we set out to Kollur. The local shop owner guaranteed us good road, pleasant drive, and darshana as he had visited recently. The road to Kollur was beautiful! I must say, we hardly came across a noticeable pothole. Narrow road but very good road; it did not look like they had asphalted it recently.

Despite being Navarathri, since it was a weekday, and not on Ashtami/Navami, our visit to the temple was breeze. It was around noon. Apart from goddess darshana, we cherished sumptuous meal as prasadam. After that we decided to go to Murudeshwar, something my wife wanted to always visit.

Kollur Route1.jpg
Kollur route 2.jpg

The drive was again very pleasant, narrow but good road quality. From Baindur until we crossed Bhatkal, the road is not very good but not a hassle for XUV; some busy traffic and deviations due to construction took away sometime. Took us little over an hour to reach Murudeshwar temple. The temple was closed and it was hot afternoon (it’s a coast hence very humid). Took advantage and took some break, had a snack and cold drinks at a local restaurant.

It is one of the most attractive temple, no doubt. The gopura (tower), the shiva statue, the Surya chariot, etc., is mesmerizing. You can go on top of the gopura by paying just Rs. 10 for elevator trip. The actual temple itself is not crowded! The best part is view all around. But the afternoon sharp sun combined with humidity, drained us out. Almost dehydrated. Hence took another break at the sea lounge restaurant (the cold drinks are not really cold, as you would imagine).

Murudeshwar1.jpg
Murudeshwar2.jpg

By then, it was 4PM. We had plan to visit Iduganji Ganesha temple which was little over 20KM, but decided to skip as this visit would have taken another 90 minutes and we wanted to avoid driving back to Mangalore in the dark. Hence we headed straight back to Mangalore, which was close to 3 hours drive (~160 KM). I wanted to stop at Maravanthe beach for the sunset view – but sunset was perhaps an hour away and wiffy vetoed to drive non-stop back to Mangalore base. Again, the traffic in/around Bhatkal was bad, but got better after that; it was dark when we reached Mangalore and thick traffic on the highway. It was a good decision as we were able to take good rest for the day.

Day 3, we decided not to go on long trip but just relax. Decided to ditch the car and take local transport as were right in the middle of city (it’s not a big city) and could commute to anywhere within few minutes and <50 bucks. Went out for lunch, ice cream at Pabbas, some shopping, visit to shiva temple in Kudroli, one more round of ice cream at Pabbas, and lot of rest.

Lunch1.jpg
Pabbas 2.jpg.png
Pabbas 1.jpg
Kudroli 1.jpg
Kudroli2.jpg

Day 4 – we headed to Sringeri and from there to Dharmasthala. Mangalore to Sringeri was ~120KM – head out in the same direction as Udupi and then take a deviation. Again, the road was pretty good, but switched to 2 lanes and then got narrower once we crossed Bajegoli. Some ghat section, and the road gets narrowest but still good quality! I was only worried about oncoming traffic, but disciplined drivers did not pose any problem. Had to overtake some mini-buses / trucks at times, which was breeze with my Ambhari. The road passes thru a forest hence you’ll have to stop at forest check-post; mere formality and you proceed without hassle. The best part was driving along Tunga river, for a good distance.

Day 4 route2.png
At sringeri.jpg
Sringeri 3.jpg
Sringeri 1.jpg
Sringeri route1.jpg
Day 4 route3.png

We had very good darshana of the goddess and other temples. For the first time witnessed the presence of Sri Bharathi Thirtha Swamiji and his deputy. We were not allowed to take photos of the swamijis, which is quite understandable. But again, one of the best visits. Spent 30 minutes on the bank of Thunga river, feeding puffed rice to the fishes, meeting the temple elephant, shopping, so on. The water level was low hence did not find many fishes, as I witnessed during my last trip (ages ago). After spending couple of hours decided to head towards Dharmasthala, which was ~100KM / 2 hours.

The reach Dharmasthala had to pass thru the forest area and reach Bajegoli, and then take left towards Dharmasthala. Once we reached Belthangady, the traffic got busy and it was a slow drive. However, we managed to reach afternoon, have some light lunch, take a nap. In the evening, first we went to river Nethravathi; did not enjoy much due to the crowd hence headed back to Manjunatha temple. I took special Pooja ticket hence was treated like a VIP – almost like in a local temple – spent good amount of time witnessing the glory of the god/goddess. It was not even 6PM by the time we finished all the Darshana. One of the staff inside the temple suggested us to return around 8.30PM for special Pooja due to Navarathri. So we did. And was it worth it! The temple was almost closed down at around 9PM, except the Heggade family and small number of pilgrims (Me and wiffy spent nearly an hour right in front of the deity and special Pooja on the occasion of Navarathri, which is performed only twice a year, for nearly an hour). The best part was procession lead by Pancha Vadhya; chenda vadhya from our kerala brothers gave me goose bumps! And we listen to western rock to give us kick  Amazing life time experience for both of us. After that we retired for the day.

Dharmasthala 2.jpg
Dharmasthala 1.jpg

On Day 5, we set out to Bangalore via Kukke, our last pilgrimage stop; it was around 8AM. Someone suggested us to visit Southadka Ganesha temple, also known as ‘Gante Ganesha’ (Bell Ganesha) on the way to Kukke. So we did, as it was on the way with very small deviation. Very attractive Ganesha statue in open sky, surrounded by bell (bells offered when your prayers are fulfilled). After quick ~30 minutes visit, headed to Kukkke. The road was just ok, not much hassle for XUV but as enjoyable as Kollur/Sringeri. We spent an hour at Kukke Subramanya temple (the special offering put us on fast track), little bit shopping (buy pappad from here) and headed straight back home.

Day5.png
Day 5 route.png

The return road was familiar. Had to slow down around Gundya but road got lot better after Sakleshpur, and really good after Hassan. Stopped at A2B for lunch (just after Hassan) and then non-stop home – at a decent speed – and reached home mid-afternoon. Ended the trip where we began, with a filter coffee at New Krishna Bhavan 

What I liked the most on this trip?
Pleasant and reliable drive of my car – 1000+ KM’s in 5 days (nearly ~17KM mileage!)
Memorable visit to the temples and life-long memories (I visit temple just couple times a year, and on this trip I visited 30+ small/big temples in 5 days)
The Chande Vadhya in Dharmasthala temple – I get goose bumps even now
Hogging Ice cream at Pabbas, and Mangalore Buns
And company of wiffy, without kids, after nearly 18 years [:D]

PS: BTW, not all the pictures were taken by me – I had to rely on google for maps and some pictures (can’t take picture at some places). I had to rely on these pictures, to support narration of my trip. Just wanted to make it clear.

Hello Manuman, Interesting to read about your visit to Famous Temples and the photos that were clicked by you are very nice.
When you plan your 2nd visit to Mangalore, don't forget to visit Sri Mnajunath kadri Temple because unless one visits both Kadri and Dharmasthala, it is not considered as a complete pilgrimage. There are few more Famous Temples in and around Mangalore - Famous Mangaldevi Temple and Marugudi Temple in Mangalore, Famous Durga Parmeshameshwari Temple at Katil which is about 25 km, Famous Rajarajeshawari Temple at Polali which is about 20 km, Famous Annapurma Temple at Kodalka( not Hornadu) which is very beautiful and also a very old Shiva Temple before reaching this Temple, there is a over 1000 years old Shiva temple which is about 10-12 kms from Uchhil ( Uchhil is about 40 km from Mangalore while going to Udupi).

Yesterday (4 th June 2017) drive to Puttur through Shiradi. Pot holes are completely patched up. It is nice to drive through Shiradi Ghat as of now till torrential rain starts soon.
Entire route from Bangalore till Uppinangadi is bliss to drive. There is a rough patch around Ballupet (Between Hassan and Sakleshpur) but nothing to worry.

Yesterday (4 th June 2017) drive to Puttur through Shiradi. Pot holes are completely patched up. It is nice to drive through Shiradi Ghat as of now till torrential rain starts soon.
Entire route from Bangalore till Uppinangadi is bliss to drive. There is a rough patch around Ballupet (Between Hassan and Sakleshpur) but nothing to worry.
The problem always has been the rains. The patches don't happen immediately. They wait for the rainy season to be over before patching up. 1 month of downpour & back to potholes. Hopefully it will hold up the full season.

Last year they took almost more than half of year to rebuild the road. I was always hearing that Shiradi Ghat is closed for repair.

Last year they took almost more than half of year to rebuild the road. I was always hearing that Shiradi Ghat is closed for repair.
There are two sections. One is tar and another is Concrete section. First 6 km and last 15-20 KMs(from Sakleshpur towards Gundya) are tarred and 13 KMs in between is Concrete section.Last year the road was closed to build up this concrete section. It is in excellent condition and may remain same for some more years.

I drive through Puttur - Kaniyoor - Kukke - Gundya - Dharmasthala - Guruvayanakere - BC Road - Mangalore. Excellent road condition.

I think the contract for concrete roads (tar section) was given to GMR Infra. And roads were closed. IIRC it was only for a month or so. Unfortunately due to non-payment, the vendor didn't do the job, or at least that is what they claimed. The contract was then cancelled and the roads were patched up, as a temporary measure.

There are two sections. One is tar and another is Concrete section. First 6 km and last 15-20 KMs(from Sakleshpur towards Gundya) are tarred and 13 KMs in between is Concrete section.Last year the road was closed to build up this concrete section. It is in excellent condition and may remain same for some more years.

I drive through Puttur - Kaniyoor - Kukke - Gundya - Dharmasthala - Guruvayanakere - BC Road - Mangalore. Excellent road condition.
Yes, the road conditions weren't too bad. Comparitively Charmadi was holding up very well & hence the negative remarks. The roads were very much motorable, barring a few sections. In most cases, drivers will swerve at last minute to avoid pot holes. That's when it becomes dangerous. For regulars, most knew how to navigate those sections. In any case, it was only a 10-15kms stretch that was ridden with potholes. Yep, the other route via Charmadi has always been in excellent condition.

road conditions are excellent till Mangalore. there were potholes for about 5 kms in between ghat section near Kukke subramanya junction, but now it has been filled and you can clear the section in an hour or so. Best route is through Shiradi ghat, the concrete patch and Tar roads is in excellent condition.

What I liked the most on this trip?
Pleasant and reliable drive of my car – 1000+ KM’s in 5 days (nearly ~17KM mileage!)
Memorable visit to the temples and life-long memories (I visit temple just couple times a year, and on this trip I visited 30+ small/big temples in 5 days)
The Chande Vadhya in Dharmasthala temple – I get goose bumps even now
Hogging Ice cream at Pabbas, and Mangalore Buns
And company of wiffy, without kids, after nearly 18 years [:D]

No match for the temples you see in this stretch, we make sure we visit these temples every year. Lucky me that my inlaws are from mangalore so i get to visit this place lot of times. Mangalore Buns and Pabbas is something you cant avoid simply.

Top Bottom