Bangalore To Goa Road Trip

Few pictures from the trip.

Attachments

Any latest updates on Bangalore - Goa route?

Particularly,

1) NH4A - Ponda road condition
2) Belgaum - Chorla - North Goa condition

I did Goa - Karwar - Bangalore in Jan 2015 and road condition was quite good, though coming from North Goa this is not optimal route.

Update 24 April 2015

Took Bangalore - Belgaum - Chorla - Mapusa route:

Road condition -- Very good (recently laid road - particularly the whole Chorla stretch is "makkhan mar ke"!
Time taken -- Start from HSR layout 5 AM, reach Mapusa 4:30 PM, actual drive time 10 hrs.

Things to consider:
1) Have to enter Belgaum city, make sure you know the internal route and exit
2) Ensure enough fuel preferably *before* entering Belgaum and particularly before Jamboti as there are only one or 2 bunks seen after that. Also, heard there is shortage of fuel in Bengaum.
3) Chorla route has narrow stretches with sharp turns, just have to be watchful if upcoming vehicle is not considerate.

Post Belgaum, expect avg speed of around 50 Kmph with general range of 60-80 & stretching to 100 kmph on few occasions...

Last edited:
Nice Read. I am starting for Goa (Siolim, North Goa) from Bellandur this Friday (3AM in the morning). Below are the route options I am considering. Suggestions would be really helpful to select the best one:

Option 1:
Bangalore> Hubli> Mollem> Siolim

Option 2:
Bangalore>Belgaum Chorla>Siolim

Start Time: 3 AM Friday

Any recommendations for places to stop on this route for Food & Bio breaks?

Looking forward to a great trip and hopefully my first travelogue.

Attachments

Nice Read. I am starting for Goa (Siolim, North Goa) from Bellandur this Friday (3AM in the morning). Below are the route options I am considering. Suggestions would be really helpful to select the best one:

Option 1:
Bangalore> Hubli> Mollem> Siolim

Option 2:
Bangalore>Belgaum Chorla>Siolim

Start Time: 3 AM Friday

Any recommendations for places to stop on this route for Food & Bio breaks? Looking forward to a great trip and hopefully my first travelogue.
I am not sure about traffic on the long weekend. If you are starting at 3am, it should be rather thin. Last time when I went to Badami & started at 4am (3 day long weekend), I had 10 vehicles in front of me in Nelamangala toll.

I would suggest your breakfast break between Davangere - Ranebennur, 4+ hrs. 300+ kms. Between 7-8am. Both places are known for their Benne (Butter) Masala Dosa. It may be worth while going into Davangere town for the breakfast.

There are lots of options in the route for the bio breaks (upto Hubli at-least). I am not sure which ones are open 24/7 for the early mornings. I think the Kamat in Sira (along with BP) is 24/7. But this one comes on the RHS. Just after Chitradurga there is Mysore Cafe, not sure if they will be open between 5-6am, when you cross them. Davangere has Apoorva resorts (on the highway itself). Ranebennur has got another Kamat.

I would suggest Bangalore - Nelamangala - Tumkur - Chirtadurga - Davangere - Hubli - Dharward - MK Hubli - Khanapur - Chorla Ghats - Siolim. You don't need to go to Belgaum.

Since you are starting at 3am, you might as well cut through (Madiwala - Cubbon Park - IISc) the city instead of the NICE road. Both timings will be the same, I guess.

Through Anmod Ghats, you have to go through Ponda - Panjim. Unnecessary traffic. You can always return via Anmod ghats for the experience.

All good roads, as you may already know.

Top Bottom