Bangalore to Chennai

Thread Starter #1
I might be driving to Chennai (Not finalized yet) on 19th Aug.
I have to attend one friend's marriage. Since its on weekdays so plan not yet confirmed.

Now I have to go to "San Thome Church" in Mylapore area.
So now, chennai guys, give me some idea about routes once i reach Chennai, from Bangalore.

From bangalore , there is a 4 lane road , just catch it and you'll end up in chennai.

i know this route , some one else in chennai may help to get closer

continue your 4 lane highway drive till outskirts of chrompet , i suppose , (you'll get another entry point before- that way i think you can reach bus stand !)

After reaching there , you must take a left to get into Chennai outskirt and keep travelling till airport . to confirm the route is correct .

From there , travell just straight , you'll get into mount road , and in a point you can see a board as royepett , that is almost mylapore area , - ask for music academy , its in that place.

santhome is in besand nagar i think - i am not sure

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Iilango.
How much inside will be inside chennai? Approx KM/time would be helpful to plan the start time.

Hey RSM your route is pretty easy and straightforward. But just in case you get confused if you ask any roadside guy the route to Santhome church he will tell you, Santhome church is very famous in Chennai!

Bangalore to Chennai you can reach in 5 hours i guess. Then after reaching Chennai proceed straight on the same road till you reach Marina beach. Your landmark on the way is Central station. After crossing Chennai central station you will find Government hospital on the right side(just mentioning for landmark and ensure your travelling correct , you have to proceed straight). Proceed straight and in the final end of the road you will end up in a signal where you have to turn left or right. You have to turn right and immediately after taking right you will climb a bridge and then another signal after getting down the bridge. In that signal again travel straight and you will reach another signal just connecting to beach road. In this final signal take right turn and you will connect to beach road and then travel straight again along the stretch of the beach road. You will see the lighthouse on the leftside along the coast , keep travelling straight and after the coastal vision on your leftside ends( due to shops and buildings) another km and you will reach another signal. Just before that signal is your Santhome church destination!

The thing is , you can reach Chennai in 5 hours but after reaching Poonamalee it will take you two solid hours to reach the church if you travel in morning and evening peak hours! If you reach Poonamalee around 1-2pm you can reach you church in an hour provided no unexpected traffic jams and delays take place.

Hope am clear to you![:)]

Last edited:
. You have to turn right and immediately after taking right you will climb a bridge and then another signal after getting down the bridge. In that signal again travel straight and you will reach another signal just connecting to beach road.

Hope am clear to you![:)]

Not climb the bridge , its like going down the bridge.

when you travel two roads split at this point
the right side is what dhaya saying and its down the bridge. .

After that you can reach marina easily. keep coming , you'll end up in santhome immediately.

Simplest way - keep looking for shore roads like!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys. Its certainly helpful.
I will reach chennai around 12-1 PM. Only I will start back to bangalore at 5-5.30PM.

350Z

Core Team
Although Cooldhaya and Ilango have guided you well but for the clear road directions, Google Maps is any day a good friend. Good luck and Happy Journey. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #8
Yes true 350Z, and I have also OVI map on my mobile.
But after cooldhaya and iilango's post, it will be easy for me inside city.

And i mentioned its 50:50. Plan is not finalized yet.

Update here if your plan is finalized RSM , happy journey in your Punto! You will be driving almost 750-800kms totally that day!

Well yeah if RSM can spare sometime we possibly can meet. I will cross through Bangalore highway daily at around 11 in the morning and 5 in the evening.

BTW the route i mentioned may not be the shortest route , but it is the easiest route to remember.

Thread Starter #12
Meet not be possible, as I have to attend marriage @4PM at church. Then return back immediately. Hopefully I should be back by 11PM.

My route will be same, as you told dhaya. PM me your number, if possible we can meet for few minutes in way.

Okay i will send it RSM , we will meet if time permits.

Have a happy and safe journey , the Bangalore-Chennai highway is a breeze to drive!

ilango[speed thirst];42141 said:
Not climb the bridge , its like going down the bridge. when you travel two roads split at this point the right side is what dhaya saying and its down the bridge.
After crossing the Central Railway Station, go straight on the road until a T junction, where you take a right turn and cross the railway line on a over-bridge, as cooldhaya mentioned. As far I remember, there is no underpass there.

Top Bottom