Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya Route Query

Once my daughter's exams were over, 'I read, re-read and re-re-read your post #8'. AND ... it released the "pause button" [clap] . We thoroughly enjoyed the two day's trip.
Ha ha. How much worse it can get in a week (between the 2 updates)? May not be so pathetic after all, release the PAUSE button. IIRC its only a section 10kms or so, the remaining ghats / scenic beauty can make you easily forget the bad roads part. By the by, last 2-3 days has seen torrential rains. Don't know the latest condition now.

Hopefully things remain as it is during August, thats when I have a trip planned that side.

Hi,

Any update on the status of Shiradi ghat road? I am planning a drive to Dharmasthala and Kukke and would be travelling in my i20 with my family including a 2 yr old.

Last week i have been on that road, Roads after sakleshpura about 10-12 km is not good, after that Ghat section is good for another 10-15 km. Again its bad for another 15-20 km, Overall till Subramanya cross its not good except some part of Ghat section. Since mine was innova, so i could not find much difficulty. From subramanya cross to subramanya i don't know, since i was travelling to my native bhatkal.

Hi,

Any update on the status of Shiradi ghat road? I am planning a drive to Dharmasthala and Kukke and would be travelling in my i20 with my family including a 2 yr old.
Last I heard was that Shiradi ghats, 20+ kms stretch is bad for low GC cars, about 2 weeks back.

Shiradi ghat is closed again for construction as per update from one of my relative , they visited recently to Mangalore and they have to take Charapatna route and then enter Mangalore thru Madikeri. i dont have clear details as which part is closed, However roads towards Kukke will be open i beleive, not sure.

Last edited:
Last I heard was that Shiradi ghats, 20+ kms stretch is bad for low GC cars, about 2 weeks back.
Thanks. Looks like Charmadi is the option i have to take then, since i have a i20. This is the first time i would be driving Charmadi Ghats and with a 2 yr old in the car, any inputs on a safer drive there? I hope my 2 yr old keep quiet for that 45 minutes from kottigehara to charmadi to keep me sane.

Shiradi ghat is closed again for construction as per update from one of my relative , they visited recently to Mangalore and they have to take Charapatna route and then enter Mangalore thru Madikeri. i dont have clear details as which part is closed, However roads towards Kukke will be open i beleive, not sure.
Any idea for how long?

Thanks. Looks like Charmadi is the option i have to take then, since i have a i20. This is the first time i would be driving Charmadi Ghats and with a 2 yr old in the car, any inputs on a safer drive there? I hope my 2 yr old keep quiet for that 45 minutes from kottigehara to charmadi to keep me sane.
You will be pretty alright with a 2 year old too on Charmadi. Just remind yourself to drive a bit slow & with patience. Why not go via Holenarasipur - Arakalgud - Shanivarasanthe - Kukke?

Last edited:
Went through Charmadi to Dharmasthala as time was of essence. Road is much better there. No issues. Went from Dharmasthala to Kukke, stayed overnight there. Started morning at 8 from there and took Sampaje, madikeri, arkalgud, holenarsipura, cr Patna route. Back to Bangalore by 4 after stopping for an hour for lunch and 3 to 4 times for short 10 minutes breaks.

Update on Shiradi Ghat

To facilitate repair work and subsequent second phase of concretisation of the Shiradi Ghat stretch on Bangalore-Mangalore National Highway No 48, the road is likely to be completely closed for vehicular traffic from January 15.

Dakshina Kannada District Deputy Commissioner S Sasikant Senthil and PWD Executive Engineer M O Ramesh jointly inspected the stretch, which is earmarked for repair works, recently. A report has been submitted to the Additional Chief Secretary following the spot visit, indicating the essence and early completion of the road project. The report clearly states that the 13-km stretch has to be completely closed for vehicular traffic.

PWD Executive Engineer M O Ramesh stated that a joint inspection was carried out based on the instructions given by District In-charge Minister B Ramanath Rai. The Public Works Department would take a final call on the report’s recommendation, he added.

It may be recalled that chairing a review meeting of various development works last month, Minister Rai had directed officials to ensure that the work be started without further delay.

Replying to a question during the Belagavi assembly session on the same issue, Public Works Department Minister Dr. H C Mahadevappa had earlier said that the stretch would be closed for repair work from 1 January 2018.

Till the repair work is completed, vehicles would be allowed through Charmadi Ghat, Bisale Ghat and Madikeri.
Source :- https://www.newskarnataka.com/mangalore/shiradi-ghat-stretch-to-remain-closed-for-vehicular-traffic-from-jan-15

Top Bottom