Bangalore - Kottakkal - Guruvayoor - Bangalore: Need Help About Route

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

Yay My 100th Post & what can get better is am making way towards God's Own Country with this post[clap] isnt it great ??

Well guys need your input on the road conditions for Kerala. I have to attend a friend's wedding & will be going to Guruvayoor. But first I need to visit his place in Kottakkal then will travel from there to Guruvayoor & back to Bangalore from Guruvayoor. So guys who has recently made this trip please help me with the following queries.

> Which is is nearest & well maintained from Bangalore to Kottkkal, is it Via Gundlupet-Bandipur-Nilambur or Gundlupet-Bandipur-Sultan Battery-Waynad route.
> Restaurants on the way.
> Restaurant for my car I mean Petrol bunks[;)]
> Road Conditions.
> From Guruvayoor-Bangalore is it the same route??

Also I have not removed my tints yet so please advice how will Karnataka State vehicles be treated in Kerala?? I am visiting it for the first time, I will stay there for hardly a day so I guess should not be a concern. Plans are to start Saturday Early Morning & be back by Sunday Night.

Any Inputs are most welcome.

Happy Motoring.[glasses]
Santosh.V

Re: Bangalore-Kottakkal-Guruvayoor-Bangalore:Need Help in Route

Santhosh,

I have travelled through this route last month.

Mysore - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Gudalur - Nilambur.

For a change roads are good in Kerala side.
There is a bad stretch after Bandipur.
Speed breakers every 1 km are irritating

Sultan battery - Wayanad road could be a long one for you.

Bandipur road is closed for night traffic. You need to cross before 6:00 PM. Assume its similar case for Sultan battery road.

Since you are travelling from Bangalore another option is Hosur - Salem - Palakkad - Kottakkal (4 lane till Coimbatore bye pass).

Since its monsoon, it will be better idea to take the 4 lane highway than the forest route.

Return from Guruvayur can be through same route. Take the one as per your choice.

Kerala Poilce normally don't target cars just by seeing the registration number. As long as you follow the rules and carry all the documents its OK. IF your sun films are not dark, they you may not face an issue.
In my cae, its inside is visible even with the films. Sun films installed in front wind shield also. No issues faced.

Re: Bangalore-Kottakkal-Guruvayoor-Bangalore:Need Help in Route

welcome to cultural capital of Kerala, don't forget to visit elephant sanctuary at punnathoor

Thread Starter #4
Santhosh,

I have travelled through this route last month.

Mysore - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Gudalur - Nilambur.

For a change roads are good in Kerala side.
There is a bad stretch after Bandipur.
Speed breakers every 1 km are irritating
Hey Buddy,

Thanks for the information, but the 4 lane road will be around 490 kms which is almost 100 kms extra compared to other two roads, Yes its raining in Kerala & it will be slightly tough driving in ghat, but I ve heard Instead of Nilambur road we can take Waynad road which is better, my concern here is what will be the difference in kms between Nilambur road & Waynad road??

welcome to cultural capital of Kerala, don't forget to visit elephant sanctuary at punnathoor
Thanks Vinayan[:)]

Please help me taking the right road to reach kerala, Iam confused between Waynad road & Nilambur road, which one to take?? Which road is better?? Which has lesser kms. Please advice.

Happy Motoring
Santosh.V

Last edited by a moderator:
Travelling through forest roads is most risky on rainy season. so choose the Coimbatore palakkad via kottakkal route. On back from guruvayoor go through Guruvayoor - kunnamkulam - wadakananchery - Mayanoor - alathoor - palakkad - Coimbatore route.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks for your reply Vinayan, I am travelling in morning will it still be risky?? Its a new experience for me so I would definetely drive slow. Just need more precautions & thanks for the concern buddy :)

Santosh.V

Thanks for your reply Vinayan, I am travelling in morning will it still be risky?? Its a new experience for me so I would definetely drive slow. Just need more precautions & thanks for the concern buddy :)

Santosh.V
am not sure about Mysore - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Gudalur -
Nilambur route. If your travelling with family avoid forest routes. Drive slow speed, kerala laws permit only a speed of 30km /hr on forest roads. Don't turn curves at over speed. Keep an eye on road allways. Never stop vehicle on forest roads. Never use too much horn and light on animals. if you spotted some wildlife don't turn of engine take more precaution and move the vehicle gently. Btw have a great trip.

Thread Starter #8
am not sure about Mysore - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Gudalur -
Nilambur route. If your travelling with family avoid forest routes. Drive slow speed, kerala laws permit only a speed of 30km /hr on forest roads. Don't turn curves at over speed. Keep an eye on road allways. Never stop vehicle on forest roads. Never use too much horn and light on animals. if you spotted some wildlife don't turn of engine take more precaution and move the vehicle gently. Btw have a great trip.
Thanks for the care buddy. Going with friends, will keep the safety tips in mind given by you. Would you suggest Waynad route then as I feel Pallakad road is little long, How much kms will Waynad or say sultan battery road be to reach kottakkal?

Happy Motoring
Santosh.V

Planning a visit to Guruvayoor from Bangalore. Anyone has updates on the recent road conditions on the below routes:
1. Bangalore->Hosur->Dharmapur->salem->avinashi->Coimbatore->palakkad->guruvayoor
2. Bangalore->Mysore->Nanjangud->Gundlupet->Gudalur->Nilambur->Pattambi->Guruvayoor
3. Bangalore->Mysore->Nanjangud->Gundlupet->Sultan Bathery->Kalpetta->Thamarassery->parappanangadi->ponnani->Guruvayoor.

Unless the road conditions are bad I would like to take the shortest route which according to google maps is 2.

Planning a visit to Guruvayoor from Bangalore. Anyone has updates on the recent road conditions on the below routes:
1. Bangalore->Hosur->Dharmapur->salem->avinashi->Coimbatore->palakkad->guruvayoor
2. Bangalore->Mysore->Nanjangud->Gundlupet->Gudalur->Nilambur->Pattambi->Guruvayoor
3. Bangalore->Mysore->Nanjangud->Gundlupet->Sultan Bathery->Kalpetta->Thamarassery->parappanangadi->ponnani->Guruvayoor.

Unless the road conditions are bad I would like to take the shortest route which according to google maps is 2.
I feel the first choice is better now and overall driving time will be less. Between Coimbatore and Walayar about 5 kms stretch is not smooth but its OK. From Walayar to Vadakkanchery the roads are good with four lane, work completed. Vadakkanchery to Mannuthy - single road and road is good now. You can complete the total stretch in 8 hours with essential breaks.

Last edited:

Top Bottom