Bajaj Qute: The Low Cost Four Wheeler

Re: Bajaj RE60 – The Low Cost Four Wheeler

If the government wss interested in safe intracity transport the RE60 the Tata Mano and Mahic Iris and magic djould all be given a level playing feild. Seems some do not want this.

Spied – Bajaj RE60′s taillamp detailing comes to light

The controversial Bajaj RE60 has managed to dodge its initial hurdles and is waiting for the final go ahead from the government.

The RE60 creates a new segment in the Indian auto market called the quadricycles. A quadricycle fills up the gap between a three wheeled rickshaw and an entry level car.

To be marketed as an urban transportation solution, the quadricycle will mainly target the commercial operators. The government has also announced saying that quadricycles cannot be used as private transportation.

Of course Bajaj has officially unveiled the production version but here is an interesting spyshot from Motorbash.com. For the first time, we are able to see the taillight detailing of the RE60 when the lights are on.

Bajaj designers did a commendable job with the taillight detailing of the RE60.

Despite being built to a strict cost target, Bajaj designers have managed to incorporate trendy brake light elements. The C-shaped lighting patten immediately reminds us of that of the Skoda Fabia.

Bajaj continues to test the RE60 as evident from these spyshots. The vehicle is powered by a 200cc DTS-i engine whose power output is yet to be made public. The quadricycle weighs 450kg and has a claimed mileage of 35+ kpl. The top speed stands at 70kph and it emits only 60g/km of CO2 (hence the name RE60).

The Bajaj RE60 is expected to go on sale by the end of 2013.

Bajaj RE60's taillamp detailing comes to light

Attachments

Report – Quadricycles to start plying Indian roads from October

The Government of India had approved the creation of the ‘Quadricycles’ segment in May this year. The approval brought a lot of cheer for Bajaj Auto (who can now commence production of the RE60 a.k.a India’s first and only Quadricycle), while certain other manufacturers remain skeptical (and also expressed their displeasure) about this segment.

Expect to see Quadricycles plying our roads from October this year. Government sources have said that the draft notification would be sent out soon and there after 30 days of time would be given for suggestions and objections to be submitted.

Quadricycles would be required to carry a ‘Q’ symbol on the front (unclear whether it would be required at the rear as well) and they would be restricted to commercial use only. This would extend to carrying goods and people on non-highway stretches of cities and villages.

The government has also announced that flexible materials such as resin, cloth and plastic should not be used to build the body of the Quadricycle. The passenger carrying Quadricycles must accommodate four people (including driver) while the goods carrying type can accommodate two people including the driver apart from a maximum payload of 550kg.

The goods carrying Quadricycles will be longer than the passenger carrying ones and would weigh about 550kg as against the 450kg kerb weight of the passenger Quadricycles.

Quadricycles to start plying Indian roads from October

Last edited:

Saw a quadricycle near the Bajaj's three wheeler showroom near my town in kerala today evening.Seems like Bajaj is training the mechanics of dealers.Along with driver,the vehicle is loaded with dummies of human!!!.For me,the sound of the vehicle feeled similar to that of nano.I think the launch of the vehicle is near.The vehicle seemed to be fast with full load.

Re: Upcoming New Cars in India in 2015

Friends,

I am sorry for posting these snaps in this thread, as I couldn't find the appropriate thread to post this vehicle spotted last weekend drive.

My co-passenger (Wify) couldn't click the snap from side and front due to traffic situations. [frustration]

I know it's not a car but a commercially intended vehicle with CNG.

Seems like FIAT Logo ??? Which one is this? [thinking]

Attachments

Last edited:

this is the RE 60....
I am sure as i saw very closely near pune.

Why a separate category needed for this vehicle? [confused]
Which category the Tata magic iris and other such vehicles falls in?
(those vehicles that ply as auto-rickshaws along with conventional Bajaj RE rickshaws)
What is the criteria for such a vehicle to be called Rickshaw, LMV or the new category of quadricycle?

Attachments

Why a separate category needed for this vehicle? [confused]
Which category the Tata magic iris and other such vehicles falls in?
(those vehicles that ply as auto-rickshaws along with conventional Bajaj RE rickshaws)
What is the criteria for such a vehicle to be called Rickshaw, LMV or the new category of quadricycle?
Somewhere i heard that,this vehicle(quadricycle) can only be registered as a commercial vehicle.i.e,no one can use this Bajaj as a private vehicle.But Magic iris,maxximo etc can also be registered as private vehicle.Thus the difference.

@Hari, what you said is absolutely right but my question was different. What is the factor that decide the segments? why RE 60 is in a different segment than magic Iris, Maxximo etc.

The main reason for defining this segment is the engine size,weight of the vehicle ,speed limit and total carrying capacity. All vehicles are quadricycles by default but these are made to forego the 4 wheeler security concerns.
Quadricycles need not go through any crash tests and other tests.

Bajaj Auto to change quadricycle strategy; plans to export product to Sri Lanka, Egypt

Even as its yet to be launched quadricycle that will compete with autorickshaws, faces a slew of legal challenges in India, Bajaj Auto, after a three-year wait has decided to shift focus to export the four-wheeler passenger vehicle to traditional export strongholds such as Sri Lanka,Egypt and Nigeria."We would have been very proud to launch it here. But now we believe that we have to look at overseas markets. One does not know for how long the matter will continue to languish in the courts. And therefore, in the next few weeks, we are starting production for the exports market," RAJIV BAJAJ said.
SOURCE

Bajaj RE60 delayed further

irst displayed at the Auto Expo back in 2012, the RE60 quadricycle was touted as a replacement for the three-wheeled auto rickshaws. The quadricycle was originally slated to be launched in October last year but PILs against the vehicle in various state high courts saw the launch postponed.

In February 2015, the Supreme Court made the move to bring all the cases against the RE60 from the high courts to the Supreme Court for a combined hearing. The hearing was expected to take place on April 22, but has now been deferred to mid-July. This means that the RE60 will face further delays before it can enter production.

Bajaj has, however, said that despite the delays in India, it is aiming to launch the quadricycle by year-end in Sri Lanka.

Bajaj RE60 delayed further | Car News | Others | Autocar India

Top Bottom