Bajaj Pulsar 180 Engine Work Required – Suggestions Please

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

I own a 180 cc pulsar which has clocked 44K kilometeres till date,of late I felt the pick up dropping.I even had a feeling that the vechicle has started to vibrate violently when i cross 70km/h in the 5th gear.I showed my vechicle to my local mechanic and he said the engine need to be worked on.The piston values have some issue so does the cluch pad.Currently I have lost the smooth ride of my bike.And the bike has started to drink oil big time i am forced to change oil every 2k kilometres of every second month which ever is earliest.My question is if i have my engine work done will i get my bike to the optimum condition? From next month I will be commuting a daily distance of 30-40 kms so ride quality is very important for me.So should i invest on this bike or think about getting a new one?

Am in a dilemma and as am not very knowledgable with all this technical details.All I have to go by is what the mechanic says so thought it was best to get option and then decide please suggest.

thanks,
Prado

Re: Suggestions needed on Engine work of my 2007 model pulsar 180

Once you complete the engine work from a trusted workshop you bike should be butter smooth [:)]

Why not get a advice from Authorized Service station.

But how would the pistons/ valves get worn out just for 44k kms.
There should be some other issue.

Also try the castrol service station too. BTW where are you put up.

Re: Bajaj Pulsar 180 Engine Work Required – Suggestions Please

Hello,

I own a 180 cc pulsar which has clocked 44K kilometeres till date,of late I felt the pick up dropping.I even had a feeling that the vechicle has started to vibrate violently when i cross 70km/h in the 5th gear.I showed my vechicle to my local mechanic and he said the engine need to be worked on.The piston values have some issue so does the cluch pad.Currently I have lost the smooth ride of my bike.And the bike has started to drink oil big time i am forced to change oil every 2k kilometres of every second month which ever is earliest.My question is if i have my engine work done will i get my bike to the optimum condition? From next month I will be commuting a daily distance of 30-40 kms so ride quality is very important for me.So should i invest on this bike or think about getting a new one?

Am in a dilemma and as am not very knowledgable with all this technical details.All I have to go by is what the mechanic says so thought it was best to get option and then decide please suggest.

thanks,
Prado
Prado

I think it is better to sell that out !! this is with my experience of engine works done for two bikes one Bajaj and other was Hero Honda. For both I get them done at Authorised dealers workshop with trusted mechanic, where they promised me that it will easily run for another 50000km without any troubles, but after that very soon again the pick up dropped, they started drinking lot of fuel and finally ended up selling both of them within one year from revamp !![frustration]

So think twice going for engine work, it all depends on the guy who works on the bike and his expertise, your luck too for reset/re-tune.

Better do not burn hands with it. [:)] buy a new one of your choice/need and be happy for next 4 to 5 years without breaking head much on frequent repairs.

Some body said how can the engine go wrong within such short Odometer reading, but it is possible with different kind of driving habits, clutch, brake, engine anything can go wrong at any time !!

Last edited:
Welcome to TAI Prado, just head over to Khivraj motor's on Kasturba road and ask for the quotation to re build the Engine and also enquire weather the re building exercise comes with any kind of warranty? based on the prices quoted by ASS we can take this discussion further.

Welcome to TAI Prado, just head over to Khivraj motor's on Kasturba road and ask for the quotation to re build the Engine and also enquire weather the re building exercise comes with any kind of warranty? based on the prices quoted by ASS we can take this discussion further.
Best suggestion, it may be costly but must be reliable to change the faulty part and get the engine rebored.Though I am against of refurbished engine but there is no harm if it works fine after rebore.

Another idea, if in exchange the bike fetches some good amount say 20K then go for new bike. I use the same after 4 years get the bike exchanged and drive tension free.

Thread Starter #8

Guys,

Thank you so much for your feedbacks.The main reason which worries me is I dont know any trustworthy mechanic in bangalore.And as I said earlier I dont mind spending money if I get back my bike in good condition.

Varun even I thought of that rather than taking a decision in a haste I thought I will show it few places and understand the core problems.And currently I am put up at BTM 2nd Stage.Do you have any information on how good castrol bike zone is ?

nanhi99 I serviced my bike and changed oil too but the response of the bike was not any better :-( thats when I thought something has to be done.

gurrala74 you wouldn't believe but those are the same words the service center guy used "it will easily run for another 50000km without any troubles" and ya I too heard that once the engine work is done I should be very careful the first 2K kilometeres as that is gonna affect the bike's performance in the long run.

Visran thanks a lot :-) i will come back to the same thread with those information in a couple of days am planning to look at one authorized dealer and a castrol bike point too for quotations.

Ertiga ZMR well thats there in the back of my mind but this being my first bike its a bit tough you know how it feels :-)

Guys,

Thank you so much for your feedbacks.The main reason which worries me is I dont know any trustworthy mechanic in bangalore.And as I said earlier I dont mind spending money if I get back my bike in good condition.

Varun even I thought of that rather than taking a decision in a haste I thought I will show it few places and understand the core problems.And currently I am put up at BTM 2nd Stage.Do you have any information on how good castrol bike zone is ?

nanhi99 I serviced my bike and changed oil too but the response of the bike was not any better :-( thats when I thought something has to be done.

gurrala74 you wouldn't believe but those are the same words the service center guy used "it will easily run for another 50000km without any troubles" and ya I too heard that once the engine work is done I should be very careful the first 2K kilometeres as that is gonna affect the bike's performance in the long run.

Visran thanks a lot :-) i will come back to the same thread with those information in a couple of days am planning to look at one authorized dealer and a castrol bike point too for quotations.

Ertiga ZMR well thats there in the back of my mind but this being my first bike its a bit tough you know how it feels :-)
I already burnt my hands going to castrol bike zone with lot of enthusiasm that they know everything, but believe me unfortunately they do not know about any bike fully and spoil your bike. After this experience with them where I got the bike serviced twice and gone back to HH service center again where the chief mechanic easily found out that I have gone to some where else other than HH by looking the bike and its position and warned me not to go such people and to the extent he said about the multi brand car service guys are also dangerous at times, as they employ the mechanics from one from brand and it is not good as in case of a trouble that particular mechanic is left without any option as he cannot consult any other colleague where all of them belong to some other vehicle and in-case of dedicated dealership, he will have 10 others colleagues in case of trouble and it is bigger he refers the same to his works ahead and try and get a solution from the company

So think twice before going to multi-brand car/bike servicing centers !!

As far as I know the castrol bike zone is good. As per my friends experience.
Why not give a try.

I have been to Castrol Bike zone in BSK 3rd stage near DG petrol bunk.
They are well equipped.

I dono if this info helps you out but still let me type it here [:)]

One of my friends has Pulsar 150. His bike's engine seized due to lack of ENgine Oil & stalled the bike in the middle of the road in gear (Came to a skidding halt). We enquired at a couple of places & gave it to a Bajaj Authorised Garage on Kammanahalli Main Road.

He changed the bore & some 30+ parts, total cost came to almost 9000/- This happened a year ago, even now his Pulsar returns a mileage of 40kmpl to 45kmpl. He does a daily riding of over 30Kms & has no issues whatsoever.

When you change good no:of parts, chances of other issues cropping up after sometime is pretty less.

Selling a bike with known problems is easy but not worth it. If you have to buy back a similar bike, you might gifted with hidden issues. You have been using a Pulsar 180 for quite sometime, any bike that costing less than 85K (as on todays price) cannot impress/satisfy you.

My suggestion, fix it completely & use it for atleast a year. Try a good Bajaj Authorised Service Center only, they might know about their bikes better than others.

@prado: Did you find out what the problem was and could you share where you got it fixed? I have similar problems with my Pulsar 180 and it gets quite hot, vibrates beyond 60 kmph and the gear shift is not smooth. In 5th gear beyond 70 kmph, the gear tends to disengage and will lock only on pushing the gear lever up / down. Want to fix it badly!

Anyone else who can share your valuable suggestions (other than getting rid of the bike - which I dont see as a solution) are welcome.

Hi Guys,

I too have to voice out my concern, I own a Pulsar 180 which lately is behaving the way you guys have mentioned here. I was under impression that it was due to lack of maintainence as I park it outside & that might be causing this. I have the following issue:
1. I get a very bad noise from Chain Sprocket, I ve clocked around 20k kms so is it time for me to change the chain sprocket??
2. At the speed above 70kmph I have heavy vibrations, feels like not ripping it more so riding within 60kmph limit.
3. Pick up is still ok type but engine has started to roar.

I guess gear issue is a common phenomenon in pulsar (Correct me if am wrong). Am also having plans of taking my bike to a Bike Zone. As am avid biker it pains to see my bike in such condition.
Will take my bike to a good workshop & share the updates with you folks

Ride Safe
Santosh

Hi Guys,

I too have to voice out my concern, I own a Pulsar 180 which lately is behaving the way you guys have mentioned here. I was under impression that it was due to lack of maintainence as I park it outside & that might be causing this. I have the following issue:
1. I get a very bad noise from Chain Sprocket, I ve clocked around 20k kms so is it time for me to change the chain sprocket??
2. At the speed above 70kmph I have heavy vibrations, feels like not ripping it more so riding within 60kmph limit.
3. Pick up is still ok type but engine has started to roar.

I guess gear issue is a common phenomenon in pulsar (Correct me if am wrong). Am also having plans of taking my bike to a Bike Zone. As am avid biker it pains to see my bike in such condition.
Will take my bike to a good workshop & share the updates with you folks

Ride Safe
Santosh
I owned Pulsar150 for four years and clocked around 36K but never faced any problem as I used to change the engine oil frequently say after every 1800 KM. Whenever I had to go for long ride like Blore to Mysore I always used to change the engine oil if current oil was for 1000Km. I guess , you have driven the Pulsar like a 2stroke bike. Pulsar is not a much problematic bike if you take care properly and there is no need to race when signal goes green.

At even after 30K kms , my bike used to touch 110KM easily.

I suggest to go to authorized service and get wear out part replaced.

I owned Pulsar150 for four years and clocked around 36K but never faced any problem as I used to change the engine oil frequently say after every 1800 KM. Whenever I had to go for long ride like Blore to Mysore I always used to change the engine oil if current oil was for 1000Km. I guess , you have driven the Pulsar like a 2stroke bike. Pulsar is not a much problematic bike if you take care properly and there is no need to race when signal goes green.

At even after 30K kms , my bike used to touch 110KM easily.

I suggest to go to authorized service and get wear out part replaced.
+1 to what you said. I agree its exceptional bike in maintenance, but as I mentioned its the lack of care am taking is making it behave like it.[cry] I should give some special attention I never ripped my bike like 2 stroke I guess, I may need to change the chain sprocket & engine oil as you suggested. Coming to speeds I feel probably the air filter needs to be cleaned. I would consider you opinion & keep you posted on my bike performance[:D].

Ride Safe
Santosh

Top Bottom