Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi UG 3.5 2009 - Service advice needed

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends,

I own a Pulsar 150 DTSi UG 3.5 2009 Dec Model bike which has clocked 37500 kms till now. I had no problems initially and serviced regularly but it has started giving me the following problems. Please shed me some light on my queries.

Problems

1. The pickup has dropped so much that I feel like riding a TVS 50 (with pillion passenger). I feel the power loss when I try to overtake and it makes me scared that the bike would skid or the engine may come apart. [frustration]

2. The top of the engine is fully covered by oil (no leakage just dry oil cover)

3. Engine is struggling a lot and making crank noises. Clutch, gear and brakes are good.

4. The back wheel area is making strange noises which feels like something is struck into it.

Solutions tried

1. Took it to my Bajaj A.S.C and asked the SA to take a ride and tell me what was the problem and the cost of repair. He told me that the engine has to be overhauled with necessary parts replacement. The repair cost quoted by him Rs. 8500/-

2. Took it to the local mechanic to ascertain the problems and cost. He quoted Rs. 6000/- and told me to go for engine overhaul.

3. Again took it to another authorized service center and got the same blah blah advises and the quote for Rs 10000/ [surprise] OMG!

Queries

1. Does a bike engine overhaul cost this much?

2. After the overhaul, how many kms may I expect to run before it grins at me again with such a whopping repair cost?

3. As per the mechanics, a bike engine has to be overhauled after 30k kms. Is it true or are they trying to fleece me?

4. Is it good to give my bike to Castrol Bike Zone? How is their service?

5. What is the best way to keep my bike in good condition? I don't want to invest my money in another new bike.

6. DIY tips and guides to maintain the bike myself.

7. Where in Bangalore can I get a fuel lock? (My petrol was stolen 3 times near my office in a row of 5 months (may be because of petrol becoming very precious these days.. one day it may even become costlier than gold I think. [anger])

Thanks for reading friends. Expecting your valuable suggestions.

@Mods: If such queries or threads exist somewhere in this forum, please delete it and point me to the right thread.

1. An engine overhaul costs around rs. 5-6k when done from a good local mechanic. The A** will make you pay through your nose for this.

2. If the overhaul was done well, the bike should run well for around 50-60k kms atleast.

3. About having to overhaul after 30k kms. That isn't true. My bike has done 37.5k kms and has never had an engine problem ever. The engine is still punchy. Infact, my roomie recently rode my bike and said the pick up felt better than his 2008 Honda Unicorn.

4. I've heard that Castrol Bike Zone is good. Haven't had any experience because there's none in kerala.

5. Regular service and TLC is what a bike and car needs. I service my bike and car at regular intervals though once my bike was left absolutely unattended for four months without even starting but she started up in the first crank itself.

6. DIY on bikes. Make sure your engine oil is always between min and max. I change my engine oil once every three months because engine oil isn't expensive at all. I also change my rear brake shoes regularly because they aren't expensive either. I change the throttle cable and clutch cable every year and the tyres every 20k kms. Changed the tyres twice now. I take good care of my bike to keep it in good condition.

7. Fuel locks should be available at any motorcycle accessory shop.

Is it good to give my bike to Castrol Bike Zone? How is their service?
I have good experience in pune. May be some one from banglore can comment more.

If your doing overhaul then get it done from a non company good service station, to same some money.

3. As per the mechanics, a bike engine has to be overhauled after 30k kms. Is it true or are they trying to fleece me?
-That is not true.

4. Is it good to give my bike to Castrol Bike Zone? How is their service?
-please stay away from Bike Zone they do a very shabby job,Stick to khivraj if you decide to overhaul your engine.

7. Where in Bangalore can I get a fuel lock? (My petrol was stolen 3 times near my office in a row of 5 months (may be because of petrol becoming very precious these days.. one day it may even become costlier than gold I think. )
-and the fuel lock is easily available in J.C.road.

Top Bottom