Bajaj Dominar 400 Now Launched

Seriously good bike and seriously good pricing. But our fairing lover Janta should have been treated with a half fairing and with more sporty look and our Janta won't mind paying 8-10K extra and would also happily grace the added weight (I am one of them :biggrin:). Also having a fairing makes the handle very light which improves drivability IMO.

But this is a niche product since in India most of the people prefer <=150cc bikes and won't be ready to compromise on FE and instead compromise on 'the feel' and grunt of the big engine.

Great to see dual channel ABS. Bajaj made a world class bike this time. [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #34
Seriously good bike and seriously good pricing. But our fairing lover Janta should have been treated with a half fairing and with more sporty look and our Janta won't mind paying 8-10K extra and would also happily grace the added weight (I am one of them :biggrin:). Also having a fairing makes the handle very light which improves drivability IMO.

But this is a niche product since in India most of the people prefer <=150cc bikes and won't be ready to compromise on FE and instead compromise on 'the feel' and grunt of the big engine.

Great to see dual channel ABS. Bajaj made a world class bike this time. [thumbsup]
The Dominar 400 is based on the CS 400 concept shown by Bajaj in 2014. It's essentially a naked bike sans fairing but Bajaj had also shown the fairing version concept i.e. the SS 400 which is similar to the RS 200 we have now. Am sure launch of the faired version is coming soon in a couple of months, now that Bajaj has already launched the Dominar 400 but whether it will be based on the same concept as showcased in 2014 will have to be seen. For sans fairing bike lovers like me Bajaj Dominar 400 is just irresistible. Initial reviews of Dominar 400 are very good. Finally going for test ride today.

Thread Starter #35
Sorry for late TAI'ans. Finished with the short test ride and have booked the Dominar twin channel ABS version in Twilight Plum colour. The ride seemed to tick all the boxes right for me for a touring cum occasional city ride bike that I was looking for. Bajaj keeps updating about my bike through SMS which is a nice personal touch kind. Last SMS two days back received about my bike being dispatched and in transit to the dealer. Yipee ! Must be in my hands next week. Will keep posted. For now excited [:D]

Hello friends

Just came back from Dominar 400 test ride. The initial impression is good, the bike looks like a reworked and beefy version of 200NS. Since I already reached late for checking the bike out, I didn't waste much time talking and got into the test ride bike for a 15 minute test ride.

Below are some highlights from the ride -

1. Bike feels imposing from the front and side profiles. The carved fuel tank is the highlight of the design. Rear end is a bit disappointing and bland in comparison. Paint quality looks very good for a Bajaj product. The dark purple/green shade parked at showroom looked simply beautiful.

2. Bike stands true to its name, a sports tourer. Cruising at 80 kmph felt like cakewalk for this engine and certainly the D390 nature isn't evident at all. Power band is very linear and the bike takes its own sweet time to build up speed. Engine doesn't feel stressed but you expect the progress to be more quicker from a high displacement engine. Bike felt sluggish to gain speeds in slow moving traffic but I never felt deficiency of torque except while taking off from a complete halt. Riding position is spot on for cruising and I had no complaints with the seat compound as well. Windblast was a major problem due to lack of a fairing/visor.

3. Bike feels heavy at slow speeds and add to it the wide front end limits flickability in traffic. It felt as if Bajaj had a well built person in mind when designing the bike. Those with a thin frame like me would feel that the bike is simply too wide and heavy to handle. Once on the move, there is no problem though. It feels stable as hell due to the weight. Potholes are dismissed with ease. My pillion was a bit overweight due to which the suspension was already compressed and the bike glided over broken stretches. On a solo ride I feel the suspension would be on the harsher side. The front forks weren't confidence inspiring and dived in too much upon hard breaking.

4. Headlights are brilliant. They look and function very well and the cooler colour temperature makes it stand out from the crowd. One thing I noticed was that the beams were a bit confusing and worked opposite way (low beam in high and vice versa). I think the problem was specific to my test bike. Coming to the brakes, the front brake felt very good. Bite was sufficient (a bit sharp) and braking was very progressive with good stopping power. Rear brake was lacking but anyway I don't use rear brake much.

5. Another good point worth mentioning is the refinement. The bike revved freely and vibrations were at a bare minimum. To be honest I had expected slight roughness frim this motorcycle but was surprised by the smooth nature. The exhaust note was different from KTM 390 as well, in a good way.

Overall this bike doesn't have anything special going for it. There is no big positive like extreme comfort, extreme power or extreme quality. Not exactly a Bullet alternative but offers good value to those people who look at bikes like Mojo, Inazuma, etc. for sedate weekdays and long weekends. In simple words, jack of all trades but master of none.

Regards,
Alpha

Thread Starter #40
Had shot few snaps of the Dominar 400 in twilight plum color after launch and believe me it just looks fabulous. Its a relatively new colour in market for bikes and looks amazing on Dominar. Also that Bajaj has done a 3 layered coat paint job on Dominar it should last a long shine fuss free.
IMG_20170114_063200.jpg

_20170114_064106.jpg

IMG_20170114_062027.jpg

IMG_20170114_064332.jpg

Last edited:
Photos Kahan Hai? Didn't you click any?

Regards

Akash
Unfortunately no. Like I mentioned, I was already late for the test ride and didn't even bother to know its features/specs or take the brochure. And it was already dark by the time I saw the bike (around 6 PM). I went, took a test ride and came out. I am not planning to buy it anyway, I like taking test rides. :biggrin:

Regards,
Alpha

Thread Starter #44
Hi All.. pleased to inform that I've taken delivery of my new bike Bajaj Dominar 400 yesterday. Will be posting a short review by this weekend to answer your questions [:)]

Top Bottom