Bajaj Avenger 180 / 220 Street: Any Alternatives?

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends,
I know that Avenger is rarely discussed here. I am looking for a comfortable bike with relaxed position, cheap in maintenance, good in reliability and with good value for money. It seems like Avenger 220 or 180 (which one?) are the available options that may suit my need. I'm not a tall rider 5ft9. Apache RTR 180 is my current ride since 2009. The problem with RTR is, vibrations and numbness you feel in the hands when you go riding in high speeds. So, what I first thought was Karizma. But, I think it is dated now. Do anyone buy Karizma anymore?

I had Royal Enfield Electra 4S and Std 350 earlier. Honestly, at my age (end 30's), I have no time to look after such a heavy maintenance motorcycle even though it suits my needs 90%.
Suzuki Intruder is not at all a choice.
What worries me is, Avenger is rare to spot in my place (Kochi, Kerala). The resale is so pathetic. The friendly advice is always "it is a flop model, for small people, Pulsar engine - will not last long etc". Also, about service quality. However, I have seen the reviews which are really favoring this model.

What are the options for a moderately powerful (180-200~cc) motorcycle that has relaxed seating position and good for city commuting and also holds good in highways? If I cut Royal Enfield and Suzuki Intruder off, are there any?
Even if I buy Avenger 220, since the 2nd deals are so cheap, shall I go with a used Avenger, instead of spending 1lakh plus on new one? 2nd hand 2016 model sells for less than 50000.

I had the same queries what you had when I sold my old bike HUNK and was looking for a cruiser.

Im now owning Cruise 220 bought in September 2018. Believe me, its really good. Before buying the Avenger i asked several people who owned Bajaj bikes. Every one said, maintain the bike well and it will be of no issues. For Avenger Cruise 220, you might have some issues while driving in the city traffic but in the highways its awesome. I went for a couple of long drives and never felt tired. The service is average. But did not face any issues till now. I almost took 6 months before finalizing the Cruise 220 by going through lots of ownership reviews, lots lots lots of test drives based on my driving preference and my route. Initially you might have some issues while driving but you can adapt to it soon.

Go ahead and buy the new Cruise 220. It gives a peace of mind than the RE for sure.

If you have any queries do PM me.

Thread Starter #3
Go ahead and buy the new Cruise 220. It gives a peace of mind than the RE for sure.
I liked Avenger Street 220 better, though. But, man! Bajaj has priced the bike a bit high! I visited the dealer and new ABS Avenger Street 220 is 1,30,900 on the road! That's a lot of money for me. I imagined it'll be at most 1,10,000. I am also considering Hero Xtreme 200R based on old CBZ. It is around 115,000 OTR in Muvattupuzha, Kochi. Haven't taken the test rides today as I was in a haste. Bajaj dealer will call me when Avenger Street 220 will be available. What is your opinion about Honda Xtreme 200R, comes with 5 year or 50,000kms engine warranty. Build looks solid.

I liked Avenger Street 220 better, though. But, man! Bajaj has priced the bike a bit high! I visited the dealer and new ABS Avenger Street 220 is 1,30,900 on the road! That's a lot of money for me. I imagined it'll be at most 1,10,000. I am also considering Hero Xtreme 200R based on old CBZ. It is around 115,000 OTR in Muvattupuzha, Kochi. Haven't taken the test rides today as I was in a haste. Bajaj dealer will call me when Avenger Street 220 will be available. What is your opinion about Honda Xtreme 200R, comes with 5 year or 50,000kms engine warranty. Build looks solid.
When I bought it hardly 6 months back it was 1,10,000 OTR. Might be due to the addition of ABS. The Xtreme200R is not a performance oriented bike. Since its a new 200CC Engine, not sure about the engine in a long run. Test drive both these bikes, you can get a clear view.

Hero Xtreme 200 R is a good bike for both the city as well as highway and it has more colours to stand out in the crowd. But as you have almost narrowed down to Bajaj why not you extend your budget a little bit and buy the Dominar 400. It is quite a nice machine which sound and cruise good on highway and has good maneuverability around the city.

Top Bottom