Automotive Terms & Definitions

Car FAQ's

Purpose of this thread is to create an informative data about all cars related FAQ’s mostly technical.
So first lest start like this – We will create a list for FAQ’s.
So anyone on this forum will first post their technical questions here. This way we will first create list of lot of questions.
E.g.: What is FFE (Free flow exhaust)? What is ABS? Is nitrogen is better than normal air in tire? What is CRDI? Etc …
After finishing list everyone who knows the answers will post their answers for any question.
Finally after some time we can sort out the FAQ’s and answers and put them together.
Intention of thread is to gather information in singe thread which will be helpful to everyone.
In case we get more information on particular question then we can create separate thread for that question and put link in this thread.
I know there might be many questions already posted so we will simply put link to those threads in this thread.
What do you think TIAn’s, Mods? Any suggestions?

Re: Automobile Terms and Definitions

I am keen to know what is better nitrogen or normal air in tubeless tire. I have heard that nitrogen does not leak out suddenly in case of punsture, is it so? What is the right pressure in new verna if want to fill nitrogen?

350Z

Core Team

What is stock tyres ?
Stock tyres are nothing but the tyres which come standard along with a car.

I am keen to know what is better nitrogen or normal air in tubeless tire. I have heard that nitrogen does not leak out suddenly in case of punsture, is it so? What is the right pressure in new verna if want to fill nitrogen?
You would like to check out this thread: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...illing-nitrogen-tyres.html?highlight=nitrogen

Drive Safe,
350Z

VGT: Variable Geometric Turbo (correct me if i am wrong)

What is VVT?
TCDI(GM) is Turbo Charged Diesel Injection
What does TDCI(Ford) stands for?

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Here's a useful image explaining various automotive design terms.

auto_lingo_8_fixed_2.jpg
Source: Jalopnik.com

Drive Safe,
350Z

On liquid cooled engines does the cowls help? do engines get heated so much that they need additional cowls? well to make it more complex :D, are cowls recommended in indian conditions considering so much dust in our air?

On liquid cooled engines does the cowls help? do engines get heated so much that they need additional cowls? well to make it more complex :D, are cowls recommended in indian conditions considering so much dust in our air?
Are you talking about the air scoops on the bonnet, like in Scorpio & Fortuner?

Those air scoops are not for the engine. Infact in such huge diesel engine, it would hardly matter.

Those air vents are directed to the intercooler, which cools the air flowing to the turbocharger.

Are you talking about the air scoops on the bonnet, like in Scorpio & Fortuner?

Those air scoops are not for the engine. Infact in such huge diesel engine, it would hardly matter.

Those air vents are directed to the intercooler, which cools the air flowing to the turbocharger.
I was refering to the point # 3 on the picture posted by 350Z

I was refering to the point # 3 on the picture posted by 350Z
That is just a body panel & has nothing to do with the cooling of the engine.

What is the difference with the VCDI of the cHevrolet cruze with those Common rail diesel engines .
VCDi - Variable Geometry Turbo Charger Common Rail Diesel Injection

Just means a CRDi engine with Variable Geometry Turbocharger

Re: What Do You Think About Fellow TAI Member?

What does TSI stand for? :stupid:
TSi = Turbo Stratified Injection

When high pressure fuel is directly injected into the combusion chamber, it is called stratified injection. And you know what turbo means - turbocharger.

Last edited:

Top Bottom