Audio System Upgrade on Hyundai Verna Fluidic

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Don't want to add 6×9. Will look odd.

Now i will get the comps to the front and buy an amp and install the sub woofer. That's it :D

Alsl do i need rca cable now ? Since i will only be adding connection to the front speakers via speaker level inputs ?

Last edited:
I have finally decided to upgrade the speaker setup of my verna.

I have decided 2 amps. Check the screenshots. Please tell me which will be the best.

I have 2 stock speakers at the front , 2 mac audio components at the rear. Stock HU. I have a JBL bass tube as well. Will add a pic tomorrow.

I have also included jbl's amp pics. I know that sony doesn't require hi low convertor so i will save around 2k. Will i need hi low convertor for this jbl as well ?

I don't want to look at other options, please tell me between these 2.

Also. I inquired the rates for jbl , he quoted 6500 rupees which seemed high but good news is he had original scosche wiring which i think is pretty good. Please do tell me if scosche is good or not, he quoted 2500 rupees which is the mrp so i think he will decrease the price a little bit.

Another shop has cervin vega which costs 3500 rs. I didn't inquire this from the shop but from a friend. Will confirm from the shop and update.

Also, verna settings has very low output for the rear speakers, it's negligible compared to the fronts.

So i was thinking i will add amplifier connection to the rear components. For some songs even the stock front speakers seems enough for me so i guess having a little bit loud speakers at the rear plus a subwoofer will be sufficient.
Hi Allhyundaicars.

Stock HUs are tweaked by the company itself for a front biased soundstage. The front speakers perform better than rear ones in OEM setups. You don't get the best sound (upto your equipment's capability) if stock speakers are powered by aftermarket HU or aftermarket speakers are powered by stock HU. Stock HUs and speakers are tweaked for working with each other. Some OEMs sound treble friendly and others bass friendly.

If you power rear components and basstube, then the sound would come from the back. Plus, in sedans, the boomy bass from a basstube would be less prominent in the cabin than punchy bass from a subwoofer in sealed box. But since you already have thd basstube, do get it fitted. JBL GXA644SI would be the better choice, I am myself using the amp and I am a happy user. [:)]

It has hi-level input and there's no need of a converter. But, some installers say that converter is a better option as it gives better sound quality (and bass response) and most unexperienced installers do not have a clue of the hi-level configuration and may end up trying first time on your car! :stupid: Go for a converter, JBL one costs less than 1500 bucks. Scosche wiring deal seems okay, considering the shops in NCR don't stock these branded kits.

It would be better if you upgrade the front speakers and power them with the JBL Amp, along with the basstube. JBL Amp is priced at around 4500 bucks here, without bill.

One Question : Is the car self driven or chauffered? And what soundstage do you prefer? Front biased, rear biased or balanced? Do you want more quality or bass?

Regards,
Nikunj

Now i will get the comps to the front and buy an amp and install the sub woofer. That's it. Alsl do i need rca cable now ? Since i will only be adding connection to the front speakers via speaker level inputs ?
You are right. Shift the comps to the front, and hook up these comps and sub to the new amp you are going to buy. You don't need RCA cables now.
But you will need double the quantity speaker wires here for 'HU to Amp' and 'Amp to Speakers & Sub' connections.
Make sure you are buying scosche or other good brands of speaker wires along with the amp power wiring kit.

Hope the below diagram helps. There is no harm in connecting the rear stock speakers to the HU, in parallel to the Amp rear input connections in case of
the high level inputs. Instead of shifting the front stock speakers to rear, you may use the rear stock speakers itself in the rear if they are still
available with you ( I am only talking about the stock speakers here, NOT the aftermarket component speakers you are having).

Untitled.png

It has hi-level input and there's no need of a converter. But, some installers say that converter is a better option as it gives better sound quality (and bass response) and most unexperienced installers do not have a clue of the hi-level configuration and may end up trying first time on your car!
Regards,
Nikunj
The wiring needed for amp hi-level input and Line-out converter are all the same. You can say the amp is having an integrated Hi-Lo converter.
If the installer don't know the hi-level amp wiring he surely won't have any clue of Hi-lo converter wiring. Infact inexperienced installers
usually make mistakes in the REM power connections of the Line-out converter resulting in battery draining.

Using only minimum number of hardware components and spliced cables will always help in the future creating less number of issues (loose connection,
ground loop, hardware failure, short circuit etc) and any troubleshooting will be made easy.

Last edited:
The wiring needed for amp hi-level input and Line-out converter are all the same. You can say the amp is having an integrated Hi-Lo converter.
If the installer don't know the hi-level amp wiring he surely won't have any clue of Hi-lo converter wiring. Infact inexperienced installers
usually make mistakes in the REM power connections of the Line-out converter resulting in battery draining.

Using only minimum number of hardware components and spliced cables will always help in the future creating less number of issues (loose connection,
ground loop, hardware failure, short circuit etc) and any troubleshooting will be made easy.
Okay, I didn't knew about the wiring being the same. I had heard from my installer that other unexperienced fellows don't know how to do the wiring without a converter and mess up things, so I had assumed that the wiring would have been different. Thanks for the clarification. [:)]

Regards,
Nikunj

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Got the setup [:D]

Check the images.

2 JBL 110 rms components which my friend gave me - 3k-4k rs haven't decided the price what to give him [lol] how much do you guys think ?

2 mac audio components at the rear 100 rms.

New Hertz HE4 amplifier which i got for 7k thanks to the same friend (for the 4 components)

JBL mono amp for the JBL basstube which i already had. - 7300rs

Fitting 800rs
Wooden rings - 250
Speaker wires - i guess it was 300.
And 2 more items.

Now the problems.

I went to motor concepts which are known to be very good at ice setuo but i didn't find them as a vfm option.

Cervin vega 4 channel amp was costing 8k 60 watt rms
Same brand mono amp was 10k 250 rms
High low convetor was 2500 a piece.
Wiring for 2 amps costed around 8-9k and 1k as labor.

So that was really expensive considering what i got.

Anyways , since i decided a normal shop fitting, problems were supposed to happen.
Check the image of the guy. Lol.

I have to visit again tomorrow for the final work. For now amps have been disconnected because there was a problem with the amp which was giving engine error light ?

Engine light showed when i turned off the ignition. It used to vanish when i started the car but obviously something was wrong. Any ideas ?
So he removed the blue wirr going to the amplifier and the check engine light was gone. He said there's a short circuit or something wrong with the amp.

Will get a new amp tomorrow plus the wooden plank on which the amps will be fixed.

The boots wall is just cardboard type stuff and not hard plastic.

If i don't like thr hertz , will get a JBL instead.

Also my bass tube is not working [frustration] it was just producing very low odd bass. Tried a nee tube and it was fine.

Any suggestions if it can be fixed. Btw will get it checked as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
All setup done now. Replaced the amp with JBL 4 channel which costed 5500 rupees with bill.

now in need of a subwoofer [\B]

My friend was offering me a high end hertz subwoofer having 500 watts rms. Too high for my puny mono amp. Rejected it. And at that time was thinking why mono are expensive.

Anyways overall happy with the upgrades but i will be honest this is a tad too much for my liking. Should have gone for stage 1 upgrade that is 2 components , 1 subwoofer and only 1 amp.

Settings all messed up but speakers are working.

I am still confused on which subwoofer to buy.

Attachments

Congratulations for the excellent ICE setup, allhyundaicars! [clap]

You got a good setup. I think you'd be better off selling the old basstube and buying a subwoofer. My preference is the Infinity Kappa 120.9W. I had auditioned it in an i20 and it pumps out some serious bass. On one of the songs (I'm in love with the Coco), I had a feeling that the windshield itself was vibrating and flexing! [lol] Just pack it in a ported enclosure and you would be good to go. I will also be looking for the same subwoofer in my next ICE setup. The i20 I had auditioned in had the setup completed at ~8 pm and that guy had got a Neon Tube (or LED I think) below the parcel tray and the design (and colour) of the subwoofer ensured that the car was a showstopper!

I have a few questions:

1. You are using 2 amps, 2 pairs of components and are looking for a subwoofer right? I got confused initially on what all you got! It would be nice if you could make a list of the equipment. You now have 2 four channel amps from JBL? What happened to the HE4?

2. You got some of the equipment (front components) second hand right?

3. Did you find any battery issue after the setup was installed? Do the lights dim or flicker on bass kicks and drops?

PS. I am badly tempted to get a better ICE this time for my Polo!

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
thanks niku. i am sorry if my posts confused you. i thought i was clear in what i wrote :P

anyways , the setup details.

1. JBL GX - A644SI 4 channel amplifier - 5500 rupees with Bill.
2. JBL GX - A3011SI Mono Amplifier - 7300 rupees with Bill ( paid 9000 rupees including installation and speaker wires )
3. One Pair Used JBL GTO S649C (440 watts) Components at the front - 4000 rs
4. One Pair Mac Audio Components at the rear ( i already had these )
5. The wooden plank on which the amplifiers are fitter - 500 rupees.

so till now i have spent 19000 rupees. ( cost without the subwoofer )
about Infinity Kappa 120.9W. again it needs a good Mono Amlifier with atleast 300 watts rms @ 4ohms. your friend must be having a good amplifier for this.

now your queries.
1. i have one 4 channel amplifier and one mono amplifier both from JBL. i Returned the Hertz HE4 amplifier because it was tripping even if a single speaker was connected. Obviously some problems. he suggested me a different hertz amplifier which costed 10k. so didn't go for that.

i am looking for a subwoofer now.
i have finalised on this.
Pioneer - TS-WX305B http://www.snapdeal.com/product/pio...x-subwoofer/1726301489#bcrumbSearch:subwoofer
i am getting this for 5200 rupees , just inquired today from a shop near my home. my amp will support this.

i also had this in my mind
Blaupunkt - GTB 1200 SC
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/blaupunkt-gtb-1200-sc-with/651047#bcrumbSearch:subwoofer

this will be apt for me but the information on snapdeal is confusing. it's written 60 days warranty and just below that line it's written 2 years brand warranty [confused] will send an email to snapdeal about this. but what do you think about these 2 options ?

i have a bank deal offer in which i will get 10% off on both the products , blaupunkt will be total VFM but don't know about it's service center. if i choose pioneer will get it from the shop.

2. yes front JBL GTO S649C (440 watts peak) are used which my friend gave me.

3. i will be honest , the installer was crappy. the amplifier settings are flat. i have to go to a good place for these settings. and no i haven't noticed any flicker yet. after getting the subwoofer will tell you.

hope i was clear this time [:D]

edit : i sent an email to snapdeal about the clarification and they called me within 5 minutes. amazing. he told me the warranty period is 2 years. have asked him to send me blaupunkt service center details

Last edited:
thanks niku. i am sorry if my posts confused you. i thought i was clear in what i wrote :P

2. JBL GX - A3011SI Mono Amplifier - 7300 rupees with Bill ( paid 9000 rupees including installation and speaker wires )

about Infinity Kappa 120.9W. again it needs a good Mono Amlifier with atleast 300 watts rms @ 4ohms. your friend must be having a good amplifier for this.

now your queries.
1. i have one 4 channel amplifier and one mono amplifier both from JBL. i Returned the Hertz HE4 amplifier because it was tripping even if a single speaker was connected. Obviously some problems. he suggested me a different hertz amplifier which costed 10k. so didn't go for that.

Pioneer - TS-WX305B http://www.snapdeal.com/product/pio...x-subwoofer/1726301489#bcrumbSearch:subwoofer
i am getting this for 5200 rupees , just inquired today from a shop near my home. my amp will support this.

Blaupunkt - GTB 1200 SC
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/blaupunkt-gtb-1200-sc-with/651047#bcrumbSearch:subwoofer

this will be apt for me but the information on snapdeal is confusing. it's written 60 days warranty and just below that line it's written 2 years brand warranty [confused] will send an email to snapdeal about this. but what do you think about these 2 options ?

i have a bank deal offer in which i will get 10% off on both the products , blaupunkt will be total VFM but don't know about it's service center. if i choose pioneer will get it from the shop.

3. i will be honest , the installer was crappy. the amplifier settings are flat. i have to go to a good place for these settings. and no i haven't noticed any flicker yet. after getting the subwoofer will tell you.

hope i was clear this time [:D]

edit : i sent an email to snapdeal about the clarification and they called me within 5 minutes. amazing. he told me the warranty period is 2 years. have asked him to send me blaupunkt service center details
hay buddy! pioneer sub you mentioned is in a ported enclosure and Blaupunkt is in sealed enclosure. So bass quality will be of different types.
you can do the settings yourself if you want, not a difficult job.

now your queries.

Blaupunkt - GTB 1200 SC

hope i was clear this time

Yup, that was clear! [lol] And that's a great setup, considering this was at one go in your Verna. The Infinity requires 350W RMS but is capable of running at 2 Ohm I think. At 2 Ohm bridged, you mono amp will give 300W RMS. I think it would not be a problem.

Between the Pioneer and Blaupunkt, I would say Pioneer. Why? I haven't literally seen Blaupunkt items (except 1DIN HUs) with most good installers. Plus, I had read a horror story of Blaupunkt and have lost faith in the brand ever since.

Are you keen on getting pre-fabricated boxes? IMO the new series from Pioneer (with a different cone design, I will send you pics if you want) is good if installed in a custom-made box.

PS. The guy with the i20 had an original Alpine amplifier (pumping 350W RMS @ 4 Ohms) to power the sub.

Regards,
Nikunj

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ saroya - thanks for pointing it out. I think enclosed will the best for me.
And how do i do the settings ? Please tell me.

@ niku - that particular subwoofer is expensive around 11k. :/ i already spent so much (for me yeah it's a big amount for ice setup :p)

I just ordered the blaupunkt. I thought sealed box will be good for me.
And about the brand , i don't know seem like a good brand to me :D and even your case is right but people have different experiences from the same brand and i hope my experience is good. I did a lot of search and alpine brand cropped up in many of the websites. A good brand indeed

Thanks niku , lameassonwheels and saroya for your help.
And yeah special thanks to sutti kartik , vivek , nigel and pradeep and abhishek for answering all of my questions over wp [:D]

Attachments

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
the subwoofer still hasn't shipped. i will cancel it and go for the pioneer ported type if they don't ship the product by tomorrow.

anyways , one more problem cropped up. one of the Jbl speaker is creating an odd noise on every bass beat. i think the speaker has gone bad. the other speaker doesn't create any noise on the beats.

my friend said it can be the amplifier settings.

also how much difference is there in the sound quality between normal speakers and components ? i might go for a normal pair :|

Last edited:
the subwoofer still hasn't shipped. i will cancel it and go for the pioneer ported type if they don't ship the product by tomorrow.

anyways , one more problem cropped up. one of the Jbl speaker is creating an odd noise on every bass beat. i think the speaker has gone bad. the other speaker doesn't create any noise on the beats.

my friend said it can be the amplifier settings.

also how much difference is there in the sound quality between normal speakers and components ? i might go for a normal pair :|
First things first : No please. Don't downgrade the setup. [cry]

Since yours was a second hand pair, one of the speaker might have developed a problem. Instead of paying 4k to your friend, you should have got a new set of components. You never know how he would have used it. And it cannot be the fault of the amplifier, because the other speaker is working fine. The amplifier settings are not to blame since they are the same for the pair and only one of them is giving problems. The simple co-axial speaker setup would be less lively and would give less bass, less clarity, less punch, poor(er) SQ and what not.

I suspect that your installation is not done upto the mark. What about getting the entire setup installed again with professional quality? See if the component can be repaired because now that you've bought it, it cannot be returned. Try making the HU and Amp settings flat for some time. What are the settings now BTW?

Regarding the subwoofer, I think you should go to a shop and buy the product yourself. You can go for an entry-level subwoofer and get a custom made sealed box. Subwoofer would cost ~3.5k and add another 1k (max) for the box. You'd be good to go instead of waiting for the packages to get shipped (assuming that delivery would take 3/4 days again).

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
First things first : No please. Don't downgrade the setup. [cry]

Since yours was a second hand pair, one of the speaker might have developed a problem. Instead of paying 4k to your friend, you should have got a new set of components. You never know how he would have used it. And it cannot be the fault of the amplifier, because the other speaker is working fine. The amplifier settings are not to blame since they are the same for the pair and only one of them is giving problems. The simple co-axial speaker setup would be less lively and would give less bass, less clarity, less punch, poor(er) SQ and what not.

I suspect that your installation is not done upto the mark. What about getting the entire setup installed again with professional quality? See if the component can be repaired because now that you've bought it, it cannot be returned. Try making the HU and Amp settings flat for some time. What are the settings now BTW?

Regarding the subwoofer, I think you should go to a shop and buy the product yourself. You can go for an entry-level subwoofer and get a custom made sealed box. Subwoofer would cost ~3.5k and add another 1k (max) for the box. You'd be good to go instead of waiting for the packages to get shipped (assuming that delivery would take 3/4 days again).

Regards,
Nikunj
I can return the components to him it's no problem. And i think these are very powerful so i might go for new ones which will be less powerful than these.

Many members suggested driven which is 25kms away from my home that's why didn't go there but now i'm thinking to get it done.

I don't know about the amplifier settings , on the 2nd day of installation i was so fed up that i just took the car home without checking the settings. Hu settings are flat.
I will contact the owner there and ask for his advice. I don't mind getting things installed again either if that needs to be done but i don't want to spend again on wiring and everything so i will confirm the rates before going there.

Subwoofer - once the product is dispatched i wouldn't mind waiting 2-3 days since my exams are going on and i don't travel a lot :p just every alternate day drive to the examination center.

And again , i don't want another messed up experience. I don't know who makes good custom boxes so don't want to take any chances.

I just called the guy from whom i bought the 4 channel amp and asked him about the pioneer and blaupunkt subwoofers. He doesn't deal in blaupunkt and has told me to get the prices tomorrow as today they are closed being a monday.

Edit: just got this message, snaldeal following this thread [lol]

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom