Audi India Says "Horn OK Please"

Thread Starter #1
Audi's new way of making there horn's last longer,draws criticism from anti honking activists.
I feel Audi should not be blamed for this,Activist's should educate the driver's on our road's instead of blaming the manufacturer's[frustration], companies give what there customer's ask for.
Source:
Audi spreading 'honking disease'? | Wheels24

Any opinion on this phenomenon called HONKING on our road's.

Activists treating honking as a disease should first know the ground realities instead of blabbering away & blaming manufacturers for providing loud horns. In our country where half of the population lives on the roads it is absolutely vital for horns to be provided. A death happens every second on the road, without horn we are paralyzed more so because of the idiots that run amok on the roads right from 100cc motorcycle guys, to autos, buses & so on.

Either they should educate people about the proper usage of honking & road usage or they should mind their own business & let things run the way they are (I know I am being sarcastic) For the past 1 week my bullet doesn't have horns & I feel paralyzed due to which I have to drive over cautiously (not getting time to get them fixed)

OEM horns found in Indian cars are too feeble to be used on the highway. With the wind blowing hard, the horn is hardly audible from a distance. The situation is worse if the person whom we are honking for, is another motorist.

People should be educated on horn usage. I have a cousin who honks hard when she notices a pothole/speed breaker at the last moment and has to stop abruptly, like it is going to give way. In this case, it would be a nuisance even if the horn is not loud.

People who are afraid of the traffic, who are not experienced, who don't have proper driving manners/skills tend to honk unwantedly.

The problem is not with the Horn per se. But the problem is actually honking. It doesn't really matter what kind of horns the manufacturers give us. I mean if people find the horns inadequate they usually go for aftermarket ones. Just because one has loud horns doesn't really mean that they are going to use it all the time.

Point being, a protest over manufacturers giving loud horns should not be the issue but honking and how the habit of honking can be reduced should be the issue at hand.

Yes, honking does become a nuisance many times where motorists honk with no apparent reason or feel happy that they have got some special horn so love to hear the dreadful sound. It is very difficult to change such habits and I can't think of ways to curb this attitude.

I have to agree, that other than our inter-state highways, there is hardly any other road in the cities where honking can be avoided or rather should be avoided. Its better to honk and get irritated rather than assume the other person has sense and end up in an accident.

Mumbai examples are plenty, with cars, bikes and the physics defying rickshaws always ignoring the signals and continuing on even when its red. People all over the roads, animals in many occassions etc., just is not any comfort to be worried about honking.

Its not only Mumbai its the same situation in most of the cities. I agree unnecessary honking is a nuisance, however sometimes getting irritated by the horn is also a recipe for accident since the driver of the vehicle in front will loose concentration & end up doing something stupid

I keep my horn pressed if the vehicle in front of me doesn't move quickly with an open road ahead (not asking to speed away) or that person is unnecessarily blocking traffic. Its a common thing here & sometimes can't help but honk madly

Around 3 weeks back parts on my car were removed to give them the Carbon Fibre treatment including the horn area on the steering wheel,i have never had such a stressful drive for such mild traffic in the afternoon,i had a maruthi van,numerous cabs swerving to my lane & closing the door on me without a care in the world just cos i did not honk(i could not remember) ,and it became frustrating when i was going on a cross road & two guys walk right into my cars path & turn there backs & walk in front of it,i rev the engine no response,flash the lights & it does not help,i put the window down & say "excuse me boss",they keep walking,i rev make a tiny wheel spin noise they move off the road quickly.

The drive was restless anticipating who will do what next ,so i can safely say good horns are a necessity,but i find loud ones like Hella red grill & some which sound like they have a cold a bit rude/irritating if the person honks for more than a sec,so a good double horn(single are not loud enough) from the car company is adequate i feel.

So there you go i drove without a horn for 2 days & i can say 99% in India Horns save lives.And next time someone keeps going on & on(annoying) & tells you people get intimidated & give way/move away to there huge SUV then disconnect there horn & ruin there ego [thumbsup]

Last edited:
In our country HORNs play a very vital role on the road as discussed above. I mean even if you are driving in a proper manner, you will se people walking in front of you and the worst part is that sometines you wont even know where the hell that person came in front of you all of a sudden.

In US it's like something amazing if you can hear a single horn, even in the downtown. Now imagine i have done 3-4 long trips here, almost 1800-1900 kms and guess what in most od these trips i didn't even used a horn a single time.

I can't even remember when did i use my horn last time[thinking]

But when we talk about India. We need those and yes at some places a single horn or a slow horn DOES not work. You have to have double horns or loud horns.

Too much of honking do irritate !

when the signal turns green all others at behind start honking - as if the people at front are praying!!

Even if there is no gap , they just honk and give a rude look when they get place to overtake as if we are lame driver.

Just think them as assholes which are spread in large number and not worth in educating them .

Btw mine has a pair of megasonic from roots - the worst loud noise one can experience. every big cars have them and minister's innova has 4[2 pair] here.
it just freaks one out if honked.

Just an hour back i was waiting at the signal & the car in front of me keeps rolling back despite me honking for 2 sec atleast to wake the driver to his blunder he manages to stop only after nudging my front number plate(his windows were open still people are deaf),lucky for him that the two wheeler next to my car did not try to squeeze in-between the gap i had left with his car(they dint cos they were talking to another two wheeler,lucky stars i guess),if i did not have a horn the car would have rolled back easily & knocked out each-others bumpers & have to create a scene with the uncivilized people in the other car(pretty sure they were).

I change my mind keep your Hellas & be heard/noticed obviously honk responsibly !

Top Bottom