Asus Vivobook S430FA (i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD + 256GB SSD): Simple Review

Thread Starter #17

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Data consumes fast - since yesterday my data (1.5GB) Jio Dongle got over within 2 to 3 hours (previously, it won't consume even half of the data after using the system for full day). It seems some app in my new laptop eating lot of data in the background. How to find out/restrict it?

Thread Starter #20

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Check this link.
How To Find Out What Programs Are Using The Internet?

I have changed some settings - Put network for 'metered' connection and disabled 'apps running background'. Hope, now problem solved (will check tomorrow as in any case full quota for today's data of 1.5GB already expired).

You call also download netguard software.
Just put a fancy sticker on it.
yes, not a bad idea, however the finger automatically goes to last button thinking that's the delete button (long used practise from previous laptop (hope things will change in a few days) [roll]

Data consumes fast - since yesterday my data (1.5GB) Jio Dongle got over within 2 to 3 hours (previously, it won't consume even half of the data after using the system for full day). It seems some app in my new laptop eating lot of data in the background. How to find out/restrict it?
This is the reason I hate Windows 10. M$ wants to keep windows uptodate but most of us have limited internet plans (per day data) and windows suddenly uses all the data without user confirmation, leaving us none. It has got lot of telemetry services downloading/uploading frequently in background, especially in a freshly installed OS. Windows updates are being downloaded every month or so, to fix an unknown problem but breaking several. [frustration]

Anyway, these are the things I have done to stop most of the telemetry services but one or two will revert (enabled) eventually and will be accessing internet in the background. Delivery optimization is one of them and we can only force close it (doesn't work sometimes) or wait for it.

1. Turn off delivery optimization in Settings -> Update & Security -> Delivery Optimization -> Turn off "Allow downloads from other PCs"
2. Enable metered connection -> Settings -> Network & Internet -> Wifi -> Click on connected wifi name -> enable "Set as metered connection".
(This will stop downloading Windows updates but the setting is specific to wifi connection. If you connect to a different wifi AP then you'll have to enable metered connection for that connection)
3. O&O ShutUp10, with this tool you can disable telemetry services, windows updates and many things. It has huge list so go one by one and choose wisely. If you don't get it then disable as suggested in recommended row.
4. Install Antivirus with internet security (I'd highly recommend Comodo; get latest version from their forum) and block exe's (Those that you aren't using) from accessing internet. If you want windows update to work then don't block related files.

yes, not a bad idea, however the finger automatically goes to last button thinking that's the delete button (long used practise from previous laptop (hope things will change in a few days) [roll]
You can disable the button so it doesn't turn off when you press it. Turning ON laptop will still work though. Check this article. He is having same problem as you. [:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #22

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Thanks
Yes, you are right, windows 10 keep on updating something or other regularly. Yesterday, my laptop was updating their latest version 1903 (that may be another reason to get over my Jio data that fast?). When I saw the update was already nearing 81%,. I stopped it at that point because 1903 comes with a couple of bugs which affects 'start' function (when pressing the 'Start' button, we will get a 'Critical error' window and will ask us to shut down the system. My previous laptop had this problem after upgrading to 1903)

I have already enabled 'metered connection'

and now, after seeing your message, I have turned off delivery optimization. item 3 - will see later.
item 4- antivirus: will check it later as presently the system has McAfee antivirus (believe it is the free version, and only for one month?)

The article is good (yes similar to my problem) and I have followed the instruction as given in that article and yes now that problem is over.

Yesterday, my laptop was updating their latest version 1903 (that may be another reason to get over my Jio data that fast?).
Possible. Feature updates are usually more then a GB in size.

When I saw the update was already nearing 81%,. I stopped it at that point because 1903 comes with a couple of bugs which affects 'start' function (when pressing the 'Start' button, we will get a 'Critical error' window and will ask us to shut down the system. My previous laptop had this problem after upgrading to 1903)
How did you stop the update? Whatsoever it will continue and update to 1903

I have been using 1903 (Coz forza horizon 4 doesn't run on previous builds) since a month or so and haven't faced/noticed any issues till date. Recently I have received kb4515384 update which is said to fix CPU usage issues but break startmenu and search function. However, I haven't any issues before or after this update either. May be issues occur on random computers.

item 4- antivirus: will check it later as presently the system has McAfee antivirus (believe it is the free version, and only for one month?)
I guess so, check subscription details.

Thread Starter #24

Nairrk

Honoured Member
How did you stop the update? Whatsoever it will continue and update to 1903
Before completion 100% update, the Jio data quota finished and it got interrupted. After that, I have enabled the 'metered connection'' and that may be the reason the update has stopped?. Now status shows as ''Windows 10 versions 1903 - pending download''.

Before completion 100% update, the Jio data quota finished and it got interrupted. After that, I have enabled the 'metered connection'' and that may be the reason the update has stopped?. Now status shows as ''Windows 10 versions 1903 - pending download''.
Yep, metered connection will stop downloading the updates but if you connect to different wifi (metered connection not enabled) then it will start downloading.

If you don't want 1903 build then keep metered connection enabled but again I'm not sure how long it stays put. Also you can stop specific updates from downloading/installing using wushowhide.diagcab tool.

Thread Starter #27

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Yep, metered connection will stop downloading the updates but if you connect to different wifi (metered connection not enabled) then it will start downloading.

If you don't want 1903 build then keep metered connection enabled but again I'm not sure how long it stays put. Also you can stop specific updates from downloading/installing using wushowhide.diagcab tool.
I have been using 2 network data, Jio Dongle (1.5GB limit daily) and Airtel 4G Mobile data (more than 100GB accumulated data still available). Yesterday, I have enabled both as 'metered connection' hence chances are very remote for auto downloading.

I am a bit worried about the version 1903 as the same version created a problem on my old laptop (shows ''Critical error'' when trying to click the Start button - Microsoft support forums provides some solution to overcome this issue but nothing worked for me), so, thinking whether I should wait till a correct ''solution for this bug comes out from Microsoft?

I am a bit worried about the version 1903 as the same version created a problem on my old laptop (shows ''Critical error'' when trying to click the Start button - Microsoft support forums provides some solution to overcome this issue but nothing worked for me), so, thinking whether I should wait till a correct ''solution for this bug comes out from Microsoft?
You can't be sure unless you try it and I think you can revert to previous build incase you face issues. Check this guide.

Thread Starter #29

Nairrk

Honoured Member
@CRACING - I have a problem with Fastone Image viewer.

since last few days, when I select/open an image from the picture folder to Fastone (to edit/resize the image), some time the image gets stuck after opening in Fastone (like the screen is frozen). Checked with Task Manager to end, the Task but there it shows as ''Fastone image viewer (Not responding)''. The only way to get back is that I have to 'Restart' the laptop and then the file will work but it happens again in some other occasion.

It happens only with Fastone and no other problem with any other Apps. - What could be the problem?

@Nairrk
Does it happen with same image file(s) or any image file(s) on the disk? Did you try to uninstall and reinstall Faststone Image Viewer?

I haven't faced such problem though but latest version of Comodo (v12.1.0.6914) freezes the PC randomly for few seconds then starts working so I'm using previous version (v12.0.0.6882). The problem has been fixed in beta version and should be released as stable soon. However, if you are using Comodo then check the version.

Top Bottom