Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chevrolet

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Brand Doesn't Matter

Votes: 14 15.7%

• Total voters
Re: Brand War

OK, GF and Figoian

If I have to select a care based on brand, then from the list available here it would be HONDA and out of the list it would be JLR(now it is TATA brand[;)])

Guys i don't think we should put icecool in a spot here. Let's us all appreciate him for bringing this poll here. In the opening line itself he has clearly mentioned that if you wish to buy a car only based on BRAND.This brand thing gains prominence once you climb the value chain when you take into consideration brands like Mercedes, Benz, Audi etc where i know many people saying that if i would wish to own a car then it will be Mercedes no matter what.

If he wants to know what car people will buy based ONLY ON BRAND,then he should add BMW,MERCEDES & AUDI.Below that there is no bragging rights for show offs.Nobody cares a hoot if it is a Vento,Verna,City,Jetta,Octavia.I have seen people mistaking Jetta for Vento.

Hi Ajay,
1.I love Germans for their design sense.I made my Dad buy Ford Figo(American).Its because we loved that car,never used a Ford prior to that.So I have no special brand loyalty.
2.Jap cars and performance?At least in India nobody buys a Japanese car for performance,maybe a Civic as exception.The minute you talk performance its the Germans that come to mind.The Japanese cars are more reliable that's it.Design,build quality and performance they can't touch a German one.
3.How can he glean that?He hasn't put forth any specific criteria or any requirements.If he wants to know people's choice its there in the SALES CHARTS EVERY MONTH.
Regards,
Aneesh.
Hi aneesh,

Respect your views

1. Thats what I am trying to tell. You like the german's design but you bought a ford because you found it suiting your requirement. And hence the priority shifts to ford. I dont know what factors you considered, but you bought it because you saw the "factor" in figo at a priority above the german design.

2. By performance I mean the effeciency and the life of engines. And by Japs I mean the I-vtecs and the K-series. Fiat's Multi-jet are good too. But thats your choice. I prefer them over germans. By germans I wish you are not speaking of the cars of different level(Audi, BMW and merc). You cannot compare them. They are a class apart. If we are not speaking of the german trio then japs lead engine wise.

3. I was only guessing. He will be able to answer you better.

Thread Starter #21

Although the topic I mentioned above was "BRAND WARS", i think people have taken WAR on their own hands. Let me come to rescue again and clear doubts on my lookout.

I personally believe a car cannot be bought on looks or brand or just simply. But assuming, one day someone asks me what is my next car / which car you really liked, I may say HONDA JAZZ. Although I drive a HYUNDAI SANTRO for sheer city practicality and VFM and adore DUSTER for design and stability, but in this scenario my choice will be HONDA. I am not expecting anyone to just walkin a specific BRAND showroom, close his eyes and point a finger to one of the show cars standing there.

Say of all the cars on Indian road, assuming you have your preferences / criteria sorted out, and after research you like Hyundai i20 as the best pick / you own hyundai i20, and are happy with it and would like to continue, your brand poll here should be HYUNDAI.

Also in my initial comment I did say, keeping "middle class dreams alive". This was to compete in following brands only. Otherwise give me money i will prefer a PORSCHE / JAGUAR anyday over any other car.

I just want to understand Indian mindset on which way market is headed to / what are we really liking. e.g. if i see poll results till now, MARUTI and HYUNDAI have just scored 2 points when they sell 50000 cars a month, while HONDA which sells a modest 10000 (that too it was 3000 before amaze launc) has garnered 6 votes. So as someone mentioned above, monthy sale of cars doesnt give clear idea. People though would have liked a FIAT PUNTO, would have settled for MARUTI ALTO because of any reason like PRICE/ A.S.S. / VFM / family push / anything, but then his choice brand was FIAT...

I am really thankful to you guys for your honest opinions / confusion and casting votes. But I really believe I have cleared some more air here and that will help you decide and in turn get me a conclusion...

I have refrained from voting. If you want to adjudge a brand, parameters must be set for same, like what JD Power does. We cannot choose a brand based on just the name.

I have refrained from voting. If you want to adjudge a brand, parameters must be set for same, like what JD Power does. We cannot choose a brand based on just the name.
Exactly.How can one simply tell that a car is good just because the brand is good,beats me.Honda has good cars so does Suzuki,Toyota and all.Maybe somebody wants to prove that of all the tin cans Honda is the best.It is these kind of blind brand loyalty that's allowing car manufacturers like Toyota and Honda get away with atrocious pricing.

Thread Starter #26

Exactly.How can one simply tell that a car is good just because the brand is good,beats me.Honda has good cars so does Suzuki,Toyota and all.Maybe somebody wants to prove that of all the tin cans Honda is the best.It is these kind of blind brand loyalty that's allowing car manufacturers like Toyota and Honda get away with atrocious pricing.
Exactly... you cant. But do a bit of reverse engineering as I have tried to explain in the below quoted post... What is your choice of CAR, and vote yes for that BRAND. that brand may have some horrible / idiotic car also in its stable, but that should not stop you from liking the car you chose.

Although the topic I mentioned above was "BRAND WARS", i think people have taken WAR on their own hands. Let me come to rescue again and clear doubts on my lookout.

I personally believe a car cannot be bought on looks or brand or just simply. But assuming, one day someone asks me what is my next car / which car you really liked, I may say HONDA JAZZ. Although I drive a HYUNDAI SANTRO for sheer city practicality and VFM and adore DUSTER for design and stability, but in this scenario my choice will be HONDA. I am not expecting anyone to just walkin a specific BRAND showroom, close his eyes and point a finger to one of the show cars standing there.

Say of all the cars on Indian road, assuming you have your preferences / criteria sorted out, and after research you like Hyundai i20 as the best pick / you own hyundai i20, and are happy with it and would like to continue, your brand poll here should be HYUNDAI.

Also in my initial comment I did say, keeping "middle class dreams alive". This was to compete in following brands only. Otherwise give me money i will prefer a PORSCHE / JAGUAR anyday over any other car.

I just want to understand Indian mindset on which way market is headed to / what are we really liking. e.g. if i see poll results till now, MARUTI and HYUNDAI have just scored 2 points when they sell 50000 cars a month, while HONDA which sells a modest 10000 (that too it was 3000 before amaze launc) has garnered 6 votes. So as someone mentioned above, monthy sale of cars doesnt give clear idea. People though would have liked a FIAT PUNTO, would have settled for MARUTI ALTO because of any reason like PRICE/ A.S.S. / VFM / family push / anything, but then his choice brand was FIAT...

I am really thankful to you guys for your honest opinions / confusion and casting votes. But I really believe I have cleared some more air here and that will help you decide and in turn get me a conclusion...

Why do you want to adjudge a brand friend ? Isn't he simply asking your opinion ? What would you want to buy as your next car ? If its brand is in the list above. Vote for it and you are done. Isn't it easy !!! [:)]

Why do you want to adjudge a brand friend ? Isn't he simply asking your opinion ? What would you want to buy as your next car ? If its brand is in the list above. Vote for it and you are done. Isn't it easy !!! [:)]
Sorry its not. A mass Indian (junta) does not buy a brand or a car which belongs to a brand. They judge which car is VFM and they go for it.

In India we buy "Cars" and not "Brands". We are still not that rich. [frustration]

Yes
which is the car you want to buy ?
which is the next car you want to buy ?

obviously anybody will go for a car that is VFM. Whenever you do a research on the car that you are buying for the first time, there comes a situation where you think if I had this budget, may be i shall/will sometime in future buy this car. Which car will that be ? And which is the respective brand ?

Now i can't force you to answer this. Hope you understand the intent of the poll and answer as per it.

On a lighter note. People who are voting are not bill gates either [;)]
Cheers

Last edited:

Top Bottom