Ashok Leyland's Pick-Up 'Dost' Now Launched

Thread Starter #1
This is not so new news, but I did not find any thread tracking this LCV from Ashok Leyland on searching the forum.

Mods: Please merge this thread if one exists.

The first product of the joint venture between Ashok Leyland of the Hinduja Group and Nissan Motor Company of Japan will be a 1.25-tonne LCV (light commercial vehicle) named DOST.
It will bear the Ashok Leyland badge and will be produced at its facility in Hosur.
Ashok Leyland DOST is expected to hit the markets in the second quarter of 2011-12.

Powered by a specially-developed, 55 hp high-torque, 3-cylinder and turbo-charged common rail diesel engine, Ashok Leyland DOST will be available in three versions: a base version with manual steering, a mid version with power steering and a higher version which will have dual tone interiors, power steering and AC.

The vehicle will be available in both BS-III and BS-IV versions.

Read here:
The Hindu : Business News : Leyland, Nissan unveil LCV DOST

Attachments

350Z

Core Team
Re: Ashok Leyland's pick-up 'Dost' expected by year-end.

This thing looks funny but thankfully much better than the Gio. Recently watched the review of Dost in a TV Show and must say that both the partners have come up with a fairly nice product together. The cargo / loading area, which is utmost priority, is bigger than other commercial vehicles in this segment (including Bolero Pick-up). Moreover, the cabin and seat comfort is much car-like too. Both the seats can be flipped down to form a bed for the driver when he’s off the duty. Overall, it looks to be promising and certainly a good effort.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi, I feel I have seen this somewhere. Anyways name is good for commercial vehicle drivers.

Hey i think this vehicle was there for display at the Auto Expo Chennai , can anybody who attended the event confirm that? I never knew that this vehicle is yet to be launched!

Looks funny like 350Z said, I was already tired of laughing after seeing the GIO and this has started to give me a tummy ache.[lol] It would have looked much better if they had given it a different front end. Just from below the windscreen. They could have given it a grill with lowered round headlights and indicators above it. It might be old school, But it would have given it a purposeful face.

Last edited:

dost is now launched at Rs 3.79 lakh (ex-showroom Chennai) for the base variant and Rs 4.39 lakh ex-showroom Chennai for the top variant.

"Since the launch of our first product, we have come a long way and we will be expanding our range (in the light commercial vehicle segment) in the next two years", he said. The company has appointed 37 exclusive dealership networks for retailing the vehicle and planned to take it up to 60 dealerships by March 2012. Ashok Leyland has tied up with 10 financing companies for offering the product. source - bsmotoring

Attachments

Its looking nice and will give tough competition for TATA Ace,Force Trump,Mahindra Maxximo as the engine is much much better(55 BHP? Better than Indica!),And the power steering.A/c will make drivers fatigue to keep it low.

Mods an humble request:please consider opening a new slot for Commercial Vehicles.That will be good for having knowledge for our fastest growing commercial sector in the country

Vishwas, thanks for sharing the link. Lately i have noticed that even the commercial pickups are offered interior which are look alike of cars, which imo is a good approach.

What a ugly looking LCV.I really wonder what is happening to our Indian designers, first XYLO, then GIO and XUV500 , now this!!The more I ponder over it the more one cruel question pops up in my mind "Have Indian designers any aesthetic sense or not?" I know now I am going to be flamed, people are going to say 'looks are subjective dear', yes they are but it does not change the fact flat out that all these above mentioned vehicles are ugly?Answers anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vishwas, thanks for sharing the link. Lately i have noticed that even the commercial pickups are offered interior which are look alike of cars, which imo is a good approach.
AL is now trying to give a quality life even in commercial segment,The engine output power(53BHP or so) is also good and people now move their goods with ease.

What a ugly looking LCV.I really wonder what is happening to our Indian designers, first XYLO, then GIO and XUV500 , now this!!The more I ponder over it the more one cruel question pops up in my mind "Have Indian designers any aesthetic sense or not?" I know now I am going to be flamed, people are going to say 'looks are subjective dear', yes they are but it does not change the fact flat out that all these above mentioned vehicles are ugly?Answers anyone?
For your information this is from "Ashok Leyland" Not Mahindra.
This is far better than others in the competition.Do you know how much of cost incurs when you give the vehicle for International designers or our country's reputed designers,it takes a lot of investment in production.After all its only a commercial vehicle why should anyone look at styling? All they need is utility,But this is far better than competitors(Tata[evil]).We people need a change,Im bored of seeing Ace going through city.

We've got Dost for our factory, it arrived couple of days back. It has joined our line up of a Swaraj Mazda, Eicher and a Tata Ace. It is clearly bigger than Ace, both cabin and load area. It was parked next to the Eicher 10.90 and it didn't look small at all. I took it for a spin today.

For drivers, It is surprisingly car-like to drive. I had trouble getting into the cabin(coz of the steering unit hump), but once I got in it was a comfortable place to be. Clutch is extremely light, so is the power steering(even by car standards). Gearshift is notchy though and requires some effort(esp 5th gear), remember I'm used to driving cars. It has got tremendous amount of torque, I put it into 1st, a very mild throttle, half-clutch and it moved cleanly and I only needed a light foot throughout the drive of about 4 kms on almost empty roads. Ofcourse, it was unladen. Ride was horrible, it will get better with weight. Engine noise is very crude, like Bolero but you get used to it.

For commercial purpose, it has got a huge load area. I would update about load carrying ability and FE once we start using it regularly.

We've got Dost for our factory, it arrived couple of days back. It has joined our line up of a Swaraj Mazda, Eicher and a Tata Ace. It is clearly bigger than Ace, both cabin and load area. It was parked next to the Eicher 10.90 and it didn't look small at all. I took it for a spin today.

For drivers, It is surprisingly car-like to drive. I had trouble getting into the cabin(coz of the steering unit hump), but once I got in it was a comfortable place to be. Clutch is extremely light, so is the power steering(even by car standards). Gearshift is notchy though and requires some effort(esp 5th gear), remember I'm used to driving cars. It has got tremendous amount of torque, I put it into 1st, a very mild throttle, half-clutch and it moved cleanly and I only needed a light foot throughout the drive of about 4 kms on almost empty roads. Ofcourse, it was unladen. Ride was horrible, it will get better with weight. Engine noise is very crude, like Bolero but you get used to it.

For commercial purpose, it has got a huge load area. I would update about load carrying ability and FE once we start using it regularly.
That's great, so what was the price you paid? Is this equipped with the aircon?

Top Bottom