Are UVs Like Sumo, Qualis, Bolero, Tavera Considered Unsophisticated?

Thread Starter #1
There are several models/vehicles like Sumo, Qualis, Tavera, Bolero even others like say Innova, Ambassador(although a lot has changed with ISUZU etc I hear) in India which are sortoff sometimes considered to be unsophisticated vehicles & not fit for middle class & personal/family use category!

These are the very obvious which come to my mind which are sortoff looked upon by the middle class as vehicles mostly used as taxis/tourist cars & driven professional drivers(chauffeurs) and not usually for personal use.

I am aware that there is another thread already for a similar topic & in India pretty much any car might be used for hire and have a commercial(yellow plate) registration but again the percentage of the above models which I meantioned above being used for hire is much more.

So my question to people who use the above mentioned cars & other similar ones for personal cars, who obviously are probably making a very smart move economically, BUT is it also frowned upon in residential communities, offices & other public places like valet parking at restaurants and movies etc.

Although in the same brands/models mentioned above there are now very good topend stylish versions of these with all the bells & whistles! There are still people within the middle class who have this old-school perception/thinking that well educated professionals hardly ever own anything other than comfortable & easy to handle sedans for personal use. I am guessing this primarily due to NVH issues?

I would like to hear about pros/cons from owners about owning the models mentioned by me above (& even other any similar models maybe) not only in terms of drivability/comfort/economy/NVH/parking issues but also how it might have affected them in society in general if at all.

Thank you.
BloreCarOwner.

I agree with the points you have mentioned and yes these cars are not meant to provide utmost luxury for you but to ferry people and provide some kind of utility, that's why they are called Multi Utility Vehicles.

These are the very obvious which come to my mind which are sortoff looked upon by the middle class
Because they look for value oriented car, you are spending 8-10 lakhs car which has only 5 seats? is the question they put to you in the first place. According to them more the money more the seating capacity.

So my question to people who use the above mentioned cars & other similar ones for personal cars, who obviously are probably making a very smart move economically, BUT is it also frowned upon in residential communities, offices & other public places like valet parking at restaurants and movies etc.
Me being an MPV enthusiast, I don't mind taking it anywhere, because I don't care of what the world says or laughs, i want a vehicle which should carry my family members, friends for trips.

Although in the same brands/models mentioned above there are now very good topend stylish versions of these with all the bells & whistles! There are still people within the middle class who have this old-school perception/thinking that well educated professionals hardly ever own anything other than comfortable & easy to handle sedans for personal use. I am guessing this primarily due to NVH issues?
No definitely not, Sedans are seen as a status symbol and these educated professionals as you say most of times are single or with a small family, they do not need a huge car for their need.

Me being an MPV enthusiast, I don't mind taking it anywhere, because I don't care of what the world says or laughs, i want a vehicle which should carry my family members, friends for trips.

vishwas this a post of a day for me, perfect thinking[clap]

Last edited by a moderator:
hahah...Actually these cars are unsophisticated, hence they sell like hot cakes in taxi segment. Its all about perception. I dont mind arriving at a party in a Bolero/Sumo. AND I own one.

I own a Sumo Grande and I understand what you mean by 'looked at'. I've had some weird looks coming my way. Guess what, these guys own an Alto/Swift/Dzire etc etc and I've spent 2-3 times on my car.

Herz my take: You buy a car what you think is perfect for you. And enjoy living with it. Forget what the world has to say.There are many pros of owning such cars such as, you can travel with your entire family when needed and can have good time doing that. And the cons. Well other than perception, therz none.

Hi. Its a good topic you have started. This is the topic that should be talked. During the Year 1998, 1999 and 2000 there MUV's where used by prestigious people and upper middle class people with lots of accessories. After the entry of IT companies these vehicles got flooded as call taxis and spoiled the vehicles name. The main reason for this are as following: These vehicles are reliable , low maintains , unsophisticated and easy to handle.

Qualis is a sophisticated vehicle.Why because,it has much space and comfort,but engine is average.We too have a Qualis for 10 years and sold it on 2010.

My vote is for Qualis.

Qualis is a sophisticated vehicle.Why because,it has much space and comfort,but engine is average[surprise].We too have a Qualis for 10 years and sold it on 2010.

My vote is for Qualis.
Did you mean the engine power is average? Because Qualis had superb built engine which has life till 5 lakh kilometers.

Thread Starter #8
I am sure there are plenty of Bolero & Thar owners on this board. Any feedback/comments on experiences especially with Bolero since it has so many variants at least 5-6 I think? and also the commercial bolero maxitruck as well !

Intresting thread, the similar experience many owners feel while buying indica as well, with taxi image these vehicles tend to loose its charm as a private vehicle to own, bolero or sumo,tavera as well.Innova no it doesnt as its equally owned and looked as a private car as in taxi segment.But for me what it counts is the VFM one vehicle gives me to my needs as per my budget,i have travelled in Neo2 tavera recently and was impressed with the FE,space NHV it offered at the price.I dont care what people,neighbourhood or friends,cirlces think about my car i own,it should fulfill my purpose of buying that vehicle.

Thread Starter #10
Intresting thread, the similar experience many owners feel while buying indica as well, with taxi image these vehicles tend to loose its charm as a private vehicle to own, bolero or sumo,tavera as well.Innova no it doesnt as its equally owned and looked as a private car as in taxi segment.But for me what it counts is the VFM one vehicle gives me to my needs as per my budget,i have travelled in Neo2 tavera recently and was impressed with the FE,space NHV it offered at the price.I dont care what people,neighbourhood or friends,cirlces think about my car i own,it should fulfill my purpose of buying that vehicle.
yes Agreed, well I think Indica is also similar to Innova in the sense that that there is a large proportion used as personal vehicles and it depends a lot on the colour & registration & how its maintained etc etc .. I mean there is no way anyone will take a look at a red indica like the one in the link below & think it could be a taxi ...[:)] ...
I am sure same would apply for top end models of Sumo, Bolero, Tavera..

http://www.evworld.com/press/tata_indica_red.jpg

Qualis is one vehicle I have never really looked at very closely so really don't know much about it.

Indian community is really worried about the image you reflect before others.When you buy a
nano others will tell "cheapest car".
Tata car- Taxi
sumo/bolero/tavera- crude (qualis still holds good value among Indians)
Perception is what needed to be changed.
When some buys Xenon xt or scorpio Getaway and use as family car people will look at them like they have done something really shameful[frustration]

A short story:
I was traveling in a train, early morning, Mumbai, harbour line. Now people traveling early, there, will know what scene awaits you. For those of you who dont know, well, you are greeted with a display of (different shape/size/color) 'ARSE's.
Well I was looking out and observing each and every person who was on display. I noticed one thing, Every man was interested in other mans ****. I thought so and smiled for a moment before I noticed a lady sitting in front of me. She was looking at me in disgust. My smile vanished. I thought, crap. a man is always interested in other mans ****.

The thing is, its always about perception. You buy a hatch, your neighbor wants one up on you he will buy a sedan. We dont care what our needs are. Instead our decision making will always depend on how we will be perceived.

Thread Starter #13
Well its not just in India but now I remember even in the US the older/married/midage/father type men avoided minivans because it related to older people & it hurt their image, maybe because with the large minivan comes out the truth that they are older(buddhhas[lol] ) & have a large family & cannot really carry a fake young image etc if they want to ....again not sure why anybody would want to look younger than they actually are ... Again these are slightly different image issues in US ..but again shows that people over the world do relate/percieve certain types of cars with certain type of owners ... However in India I think most people are too practical & smart & just simply don't care what others might or might not think of their car ... so I don't really know now how much sense the image/perception discussion makes now [;)] .. but obviously still researching the above options for drivability/comfort/economy/NVH/parking issues etc ... Diesel fuel set to go upto free market prices is a big negative or drawback as all the above are diesel UV options only I believe ... & its just not worth as much to pay the extra cost for a diesel engine as it was before ...

Can a Real Man Drive a Minivan?

Ford rebrands Minivan to avoid uncool image - Business - The Buffalo News

Chrysler Readies 'Man Van' Minivan Based on its Grand Caravan R/T Concept Car - WSJ.com

just think which is the one which matches you . And select it . And Yes people select innova for its own special . And for its luxuries, and specially about tata sumo/grand and tavera its for its strenght and almost ten pluse peoplean for long trips thats it

Top Bottom