Are Airbrakes More Prone To Failure than Hydraulic?

Thread Starter #1
usually we hear of accidents due to brake failure in buses and trucks. so are the vaccum brakes more prone to fail than hydraulic fluid type as seen in cars

Air brakes need maintenance like any other brake system. The brake bias can be set much easier, but needs to be done periodically. Failing to do so means that uneven braking or insufficient brake force may result.

Additionally the brakes of heavy trucks are more prone to glazing, which is due to excessive heat, which is often caused by overloading (something done in many countries) and wrong kindof driving (going too fast downhill and using the brakes to much, rather than downshifting and using the engine brake firce).

And then often are cheap pads used that making braking even harder.

This is why air brakes fail.

However, coach drivers nodding off several times on a journey (I have experienced it myself between Ahmedabad and Mumbai) makes brake failure a good excuse not to get punished with reckless driving.

Thread Starter #4
Air brakes need maintenance like any other brake system. The brake bias can be set much easier, but needs to be done periodically. Failing to do so means that uneven braking or insufficient brake force may result.

Additionally the brakes of heavy trucks are more prone to glazing, which is due to excessive heat, which is often caused by overloading (something done in many countries) and wrong kindof driving (going too fast downhill and using the brakes to much, rather than downshifting and using the engine brake firce).

And then often are cheap pads used that making braking even harder.

This is why air brakes fail.

However, coach drivers nodding off several times on a journey (I have experienced it myself between Ahmedabad and Mumbai) makes brake failure a good excuse not to get punished with reckless driving.
i didn't know that overloading could cause brake pad heating

Top Bottom