Apple VS Windows

What's Your Pick?

• Total voters
I have used Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, Win7 & 2008, Linux Redhat Fedora, Mandrake, Ubuntu, Suse & CentOS and on MAC Tiger & Leopard. Haven't tried Lion yet.
How many of you guys have really worked on a mac? i ve been working on both platforms for the past 8 years. with out doubt i ll vote for a mac. and who said that mac has only few options? what option in windows do u miss on a mac?
Feature wise, softwares on MAC & Windows are more or less equal. The problem I face with MAC is choice. I can't get my favorite browser, my favorite spell checker, sync software for my phone and so on. BTW, iWork is the equivalent of MS Office. I agree, visual templates are mush better than office.
exactly Rijish. in fact i like iLife better than MS Office.
Like they say, MAC is Unix in nice suit. You get all the eye candy stuff first on Linux, then on MAC & then on Windows. But I am not after eye candy stuff. For the same hardware spec, Win7 is faster than Leopard. And for the price of a average MAC system, you will get the best specked Windows system. My MAC experience so far is on Leopard. I have heard Lion way faster than Leopard.
Very Very true. Mac is a hundred steps ahead of windows in any field u name. In fact, Most of the Eye-Candy people love so much in the Vista & 7 are taken from Mac!!

I have not used MAC(just seen people using it), so cant comment on it, but from what i have heard from people using it is that MAC is better than Windows in many aspects.

Its not that one is better than the other. Each is better in its own way. Like who is better? Aamir Khan or Shah Ruk Khan?
I have not used MAC(just seen people using it), so cant comment on it, but from what i have heard from people using it is that MAC is better than Windows in many aspects.
Another aspect I missed in my last post is hardware support. With Windows I can buy most hardware off-the shelf and use it. So I can upgrade RAM, Graphics card and so on. Doing this on Linux system would be a minor project while it would be a major project in case of MAC. A consequence of this is that MAC is a black box like a TV. I don't think anybody opens their TV sets at home. A lot of people like it this way.

Mac is definitely better than Windows in performace. Mac is built on Lnix shell and I believe it uses Linux's memory management which Windows can only dream of! Mac will render the same graphics with lesser hardware than windows. That is why Macs are widely used for video editing.

Macs is a users delight! We should appreciate Apple's detailed study on User requirements. You will get addicted soon. You can see the same approach by Apple in iPhone or iPads. Pay more for better quality.

Windows is defintely user friendly, cheap and most pirated OS, but I still cannot understand why my latest IE in Windows 7 hangs once in a while and why performace degrades without any reason.

But I can't agree with one point Mac fans say, Macs are not vulnerable to Viruses. The reason being people rarely try to write a virus for Mac. Windows is popular and your virus can cause massive destruction when written for windows and you will get maximum sadistic pleasure. [evil] Once Mac become as popular as Windows, get ready to be infected!

None. Though between Mac & Windows, Mac is better. However my choice is Linux (Ubuntu)

Well, linux, ubuntu etc etc are all niche products and used only by techies.
Linux is as easy (infact easier) than windows

windows all the way. nothing beats it. never used linux. @sandeep good video!
Try Linux, it's free, unlike Windows or Mac.

For who wants to install much softwares and all.You should go for windows.but mac doesn't support all softwares and not easy to use as windows but theres one advantage:it will not hang whereas the windows will.

I am into computer since the days of MS-DOS. Have been working on Macbook since 2 years. The plug n play feature of a mac is much better than windows. Besides it offers more than all features which you have in windows. The sad part is, vendors will release a package for a windows OS first if they find it a success, they will release it for mac/linux/xyz. The icing on a cake part of a mac is "No Antiviruses required".

I see that most of us are trying to take sides. There are some that are trying to put sense into the discussion, but like every where, I see that noise is overtaking reason.

I have both, had them for some time and used them both reasonably well. I am into software development as well. And I will limit my observations to strong areas of each.

Lets begin with a PC (windows): it has the highest market share in the world, especially in developing markets like India. It is known by and used by every one, including Mac users. It is indispensable. Highlights include affordability, some level of universality and lastly, ease of maintenance and upgrade. The low lights..? Bugs, malaware, etc.

And then there's the mac (snow leopard/os x): macs are not meant to be compared with pcs. If you do, you would be comparing an apple with an orange. The highlights: iLife. You just don't have a comparing product in windows at all. In iLife, you can pretty much create any thing and get it printed through apple print services (yeah, it costs real money, so most of us may not have tried it). In iWork, you can create docs for both win and os x platforms and store your work on iWork.com.

But the real use of a Mac is when you do creative stuff. It might be music, arts, video, media, or cd/DVD creation. Final cut, Aperture, logic studio, etc., are intended for creative media authoring. We Indians don't do much of this stuff (please don't get me wrong), so we probably are not aware of the actual strength of a Mac and it's full capability. There are some uses where no PC can go where macs rule. And they rule royally.

If you ask me to choose, I'd tell you this. If you are rich, get both. If you are Poor, get a PC. But if you are a patient person, I'd probably ask you additional questions such as the nature of use, duration of use, etc.

Also, macs are positioned as niche market devices. they can never replace or compete directly with pcs for various reasons, cost being the fundamental one.

And Steve jobs, the CEO of apple has always mentioned in his key notes that the intended use of his team's creation is creative arts.

agree with been there
i use my mac for sound productions and i find its more better then windows the softwares we get are made for both platforms but it runs effortlessly and without hiccups and has out of the box support for most hardware.
coming to the types of users
gamers. although macs have got good hardware they dont have much games built fro their platform gamers are best suited to windows.

normal users: both are suited for these users but budget is a major deciding factor. in a mac u get ilife bundled and no need of buying antiviruses the only thing you would need is a free video play back software to run most codecs. a windows user will struggle at his first attempt of using a mac. but later will like the simplicity and not much lock ups as windows has.

you can upgrade the ram and hdd while comparing macbooks with a windows laptops you can find macs more lighter and sleeker you get a good set of features. battery has impressive back up and good charge cycles before you need to change it
the only drawback i find is fixing a mac after warranty expires. service centre charges a bomb( quoted 56k for replacing a mainboard) or you wont find guys to fix a mac easily. charger costs 5-7k and a new battery around the same.

I have voted for windows - for PC.
But when it comes to smartphones/tablets, iOS beats windows hands down. [glasses]
I have checked "Mango" OS from MS and it does gets some time to get used to, but its a great improvement as far as integration of various features (like images, media etc) is concerned. :smile:

Every thing has positive and negative points I like both Os but windows are more user friendly and apps are easily available upcoming windows 8 is also good , I like mac because of its GUI [glasses] so there was a Dilemma between two , made a dual boot one for windows 7 another for osX

Top Bottom