Another Tata, Yes This Time Automatic: The Tigor XZA

Re: Another Tata, Yes This time Automatic the Tigor XZA

Thanks Akash, You have been immense help in deciding the car, colour is Expresso Brown , yes will post the entire buying process and pictures very soon.

Awesome colour selection Anshu. It's my favourite colour for Tiago as well.

Happy and Safe miles.

Kumar

Thread Starter #32
Thanks Kumar.

Couple of updates.
1. Coming from background of driving manual cars for last 24+ years, I love driving the AMT in manual(M) mode. Yes your read it correct. I can up shift as per my wish , but the downshifts are pre-programmed as per speed and RPM. It is better than City/Sports mode as up shifts are as per my control. Overtaking also becomes easy.
(Other AMT owners Tiago/Tigor/Others please advise)
2. As a consequence of above FE up now to around 13.5 KMPL.

but the downshifts are pre-programmed as per speed and RPM. It is better than City/Sports mode as up shifts are as per my control. Overtaking also becomes easy.
(Other AMT owners Tiago/Tigor/Others please advise)
1. How long does it take to shift gears. I mean the duration between you changing the shifter and actual gear shift.
2. At what RPM does it down shift in manual mode?

Thread Starter #34
1. How long does it take to shift gears. I mean the duration between you changing the shifter and actual gear shift.
2. At what RPM does it down shift in manual mode?
In the auto(City/Sports) mode the up shifts are 2000-2500 RPM , but sometimes its erratic, i.e. if you expect the gear to be changed it would not and vice -versa.

In Manual (M) mode the down-shifts happen in RPMs almost exactly as we would have done for any manual car, only thing it is programmed in that way in the ECU.

Hows the Acceleration feel? I mean subjectively, are you satisfied? What about any accessories who have got or plan to add?

Thread Starter #39
Hows the Acceleration feel? I mean subjectively, are you satisfied? What about any accessories who have got or plan to add?
It is lesser than other manual cars for sure. If you want to buy AMT you have to compromise that. It is not CVT or DSG which has a more linear acceleration.

Accessories not much, as its already pretty loaded , hunt is on for good seat covers and a decent reverse cam.

Thread Starter #40
Thanks, I was hoping to know the approximate RPM at which AMT downshifts.
To answer your question :

For all downshifts 5->4->3->2 , it happens automatically when RPM falls from 1500 to 1200 or little less
For downshift from 2->1 , it happens automatically when RPM falls from 1200 to 900 .

I am loving this as no headache of changing gear down, only to up-shift when required. The car is peppier in Manual(M) mode and FE is also improving.

For all downshifts 5->4->3->2 , it happens automatically when RPM falls from 1500 to 1200 or little less
For downshift from 2->1 , it happens automatically when RPM falls from 1200 to 900 .
Perfect!! These are almost close to my downshift RPMs. Appreciate your effort in sharing these man[clap].

The car is peppier in Manual(M) mode and FE is also improving.
Redline it [evil]

It is lesser than other manual cars for sure. If you want to buy AMT you have to compromise that. It is not CVT or DSG which has a more linear acceleration.

Accessories not much, as its already pretty loaded , hunt is on for good seat covers and a decent reverse cam.
Agreed. Since my Celerio AMT is my first long term automatic car driving experience, the compromises of having a AMT is very much negligible. And compared to a Micra CVT which I took a test drive in, AMT has better kick down acceleration and doesn't scare me like the rubberband effect of a CVT when looking for a overtake.
And finally Volkswagen coming back to Assam, I can think of getting a DSG equipped car in the future

Last edited:
To answer your question :

I am loving this as no headache of changing gear down, only to up-shift when required. The car is peppier in Manual(M) mode and FE is also improving.
Thanks for sharing your M mode inputs @anshuman, I've never used the Manual mode on my Nano XTA, let me try this and see if I enjoy it.

Regards
Vinod

Top Bottom