Another Tata, Yes This Time Automatic: The Tigor XZA

Thread Starter #1
Since more than one year the itch to get an automatic car was bugging me. Moreover the traffic situation in Bangalore was getting bad to worse and ongoing Namma Metro extension work made it no better.

Search Begins :

2017 : Checked and tested many cars like Celerio, Dzire (2017), Tiago all in AMT. I had set budget of maximum upto 8 lacs on road for a car that must have ABS and Airbags. So cars like Xcent, Amaze, Aspire were out of budget.
I had indeed liked driveability of Celerio and Tiago but due to objection from family members did not go ahead. Also I was looking for sub 4m sedan as boot space is vital for us for highway or station or airport trips. Also already having one hatchback in the house Hyundai i10 2011, did not want to get another.So these models were ruled out. Tata Zest AMT D would have been a good choice but was not considered as it is similar to my other car Tata Manza. Hence the hunt was on, with no decision made. Then I was out of country for an year almost.

2018 : I was back in the country in April and the bug of getting the new car immediately bit again. So the hunt began once more. This time I checked Baleno as well. The car is really a gem but way beyond my budget. So ruled it out.
Meanwhile was looking out for used cars as well. Found plenty of Celerios, Xcents, Grand i10s, few Tiagos, few DZires and host of other cars in used market for automatics.
Test drove few Dzires circa 2012 to 2016 in petrol and diesel but was not impressed with driveability, car conditions etc, so had to dump them.
I was tempted with an used 2015 Xcent at mouth watering price at a local dealer but once cross-checked with Hyundai service the odometer was put back by at least 40K, immediately ruled it out.
Another good deal was an out of state 2018 Feb Tata Tigor XZA again with a decent price run only 1600 km but had to rule it out due to massive paperwork for ownership transfer and local taxes etc.

After this I seriously thought about Tata Tigor. The car was launched in 2017 and was selling just decently. The looks were also good and boot space was very good. Apart from that the audio system was Harman Kardon so that was plus point. Started checking online and offline about feedback about the car from all sources. Launched in November last year the Tigor AMT came in XTA and XZA variants. The price was around 45K more that corresponding manual versions. The car ticked most boxes for me, most importantly price. Had two quick test drives from two local dealers and decision was final to buy Tigor XZA AMT.

What I liked in the Tigor XZA:

1. XZA Variant has safety features for the segment including dual front Airbags and ABS.
2. Integrated boot is even bigger than some sedans and mini SUVs including Nexon. In terms of practicality, it's a big plus point.
3. The City and Sports mode in AMT are not as jerky as I expected.
4. The Creep function as called by Tata is a boon in bumper to bumper city traffic.
5. Dashing 15 inch diamond cut alloys wheels. The spare wheel is 14 inch though.
6. Interiors has a premium feel.
7. Height adjustable driver's seat and Projector headlamps.
8. Lastly the 6 speaker Harman Audio sounds Brilliant! The bass is specially good. Note XZ(O) Manual comes with 8 speakers but XZA only gets 6.

Will share the buying process in the next post.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Another Tata, Yes This time Automatic the Tigor XZA

Congrats Anshuman. It would be bliss for sure to have an AMT in b2b traffic (atleast more relaxed than manual). Which color you went for? Do post the pics of your car and keep updating the thread.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4

Thanks Akash, You have been immense help in deciding the car, colour is Expresso Brown , yes will post the entire buying process and pictures very soon.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Thanks Akash, You have been immense help in deciding the car, colour is Expresso Brown , yes will post the entire buying process and pictures very soon.
Buddy, its my complete pleasure to be able to help enthusiasts like you with my car's review. I do wish you have a good ownership experience with the car and it serves you for long time to come. My car had crossed 10K Kms and is working well till now. Coming to color, Espresso Brown was my next best choice but since both my CITY & Tigor would have been of similar shade and secondly my Esteem was Silver so opted for the Silver one.

Regards

Akash

Since more than one year the itch to get an automatic car was bugging me. Moreover the traffic situation in Bangalore was getting bad to worse and ongoing Namma Metro extension work made it no better.

Search Begins :

2017 : Checked and tested many cars like Celerio, Dzire (2017), Tiago all in AMT. I had set budget of maximum upto 8 lacs on road for a car that must have ABS and Airbags. So cars like Xcent, Amaze, Aspire were out of budget.
I had indeed liked driveability of Celerio and Tiago but due to objection from family members did not go ahead. Also I was looking for sub 4m sedan as boot space is vital for us for highway or station or airport trips. Also already having one hatchback in the house Hyundai i10 2011, did not want to get another.So these models were ruled out. Tata Zest AMT D would have been a good choice but was not considered as it is similar to my other car Tata Manza. Hence the hunt was on, with no decision made. Then I was out of country for an year almost.

2018 : I was back in the country in April and the bug of getting the new car immediately bit again. So the hunt began once more. This time I checked Baleno as well. The car is really a gem but way beyond my budget. So ruled it out.
Meanwhile was looking out for used cars as well. Found plenty of Celerios, Xcents, Grand i10s, few Tiagos, few DZires and host of other cars in used market for automatics.
Test drove few Dzires circa 2012 to 2016 in petrol and diesel but was not impressed with driveability, car conditions etc, so had to dump them.
I was tempted with an used 2015 Xcent at mouth watering price at a local dealer but once cross-checked with Hyundai service the odometer was put back by at least 40K, immediately ruled it out.
Another good deal was an out of state 2018 Feb Tata Tigor XZA again with a decent price run only 1600 km but had to rule it out due to massive paperwork for ownership transfer and local taxes etc.

After this I seriously thought about Tata Tigor. The car was launched in 2017 and was selling just decently. The looks were also good and boot space was very good. Apart from that the audio system was Harman Kardon so that was plus point. Started checking online and offline about feedback about the car from all sources. Launched in November last year the Tigor AMT came in XTA and XZA variants. The price was around 45K more that corresponding manual versions. The car ticked most boxes for me, most importantly price. Had two quick test drives from two local dealers and decision was final to buy Tigor XZA AMT.

What I liked in the Tigor XZA:

1. XZA Variant has safety features for the segment including dual front Airbags and ABS.
2. Integrated boot is even bigger than some sedans and mini SUVs including Nexon. In terms of practicality, it's a big plus point.
3. The City and Sports mode in AMT are not as jerky as I expected.
4. The Creep function as called by Tata is a boon in bumper to bumper city traffic.
5. Dashing 15 inch diamond cut alloys wheels. The spare wheel is 14 inch though.
6. Interiors has a premium feel.
7. Height adjustable driver's seat and Projector headlamps.
8. Lastly the 6 speaker Harman Audio sounds Brilliant! The bass is specially good. Note XZ(O) Manual comes with 8 speakers but XZA only gets 6.

Will share the buying process in the next post.
Congrats anshuman, on choosing Tigor XZA, it's the best bet sedan under 8 grand. And nice color.

Akash is the inspiration for many, on his choices.

Enjoy your ride.

Regards
Vinod

Congratulations Anshuman! Good choice of car and color. Do post pictures as soon as you get the car and also your initial impressions! [:)]

Hey Anshuman,
Congrats on your Tigor and wish you millions of happy miles on it. The brown shade is my favorite on this car which has stunning road presence. Looking forward to your detailed review and pictures. Happy motoring.

Congrats Anshuman!!
Tigor AMT is one of the best cars under 10L and no doubt the Harmon system makes it even better.
Happy miles[drive] ahead and do share the pics and accessories u added or planing to add

Top Bottom