Android Tab PC as ICE

Thread Starter #1
Friends after a lot of thinking, I thought why not use a Android Tab PC as the head unit for a car. Why spend 30k to 40k+ amount of money on Head Unit that play DVD. With a TAB + Amplifier, one can do everything right from watching snaps, mirror, playing games, movies, music, use it as a phone and internet on the move. What do you people think about it. Am I missing something here? How far is it possible in our Indian cars? [:D]

Friends after a lot of thinking, I thought why not use a Android Tab PC as the head unit for a car. Why spend 30k to 40k+ amount of money on Head Unit that play DVD. With a TAB + Amplifier, one can do everything right from watching snaps, mirror, playing games, movies, music, use it as a phone and internet on the move. What do you people think about it. Am I missing something here? How far is it possible in our Indian cars? [:D]
very interesting thought. Many people would follow this idea. [:)]
Please update your progress on this.

Its not a bad idea especially price wise but for the full itegration as ICE it requires lot more than Audio and video .
ice in my car has steering mounted interface which is a boon while driving with radio presets and easy acessibility to all functions.
A tablet has limited functionality while doing something like driving and you would need additional cables and frequent power recharging.
Do not leave the tablet inside car as it may not be tested for high temperature while parking under sun,There can be chances of battery explosions and lcd damage while cabin temperature can be fairly high .
Audio output of tablet should be optimized for headphones so you wont get sound quality of dedicated ICE system.If you can live above said then I dont think there is any other issue.

Guys, i am already working on fabricating a permanent casing for my 7" tab. Not able to find a decent fabricator yet, so thinking of any alternate solutions like using an old DVD drive (got this idea from a youtube video). Another issue that I can think of as of now is how to attach the remote-turn on lead for the amp. If I direct it, it would always be draining power from the battery, or maybe I can install a kill switch. Ideas guys??

freakdude.

Guys there are already android based ICE available, i think Clarion has one.
Chevy Volt is also supposed to have a android based car interface.

Very soon we will have everything with an android heart and your mobile will be the remote for one and all - this is what google been planning with android for a while now[;)]!

Guys, i am already working on fabricating a permanent casing for my 7" tab. Not able to find a decent fabricator yet, so thinking of any alternate solutions like using an old DVD drive (got this idea from a youtube video). Another issue that I can think of as of now is how to attach the remote-turn on lead for the amp. If I direct it, it would always be draining power from the battery, or maybe I can install a kill switch. Ideas guys??

freakdude.
Nowadays many amps have audio sense turn on inputs. Nothing to worry just inquire in market.
If not then it is a very simple addon thing to make as diy. any electronics guy can make it with handful of components.

Last edited:
Buddy I am curious about your project. I hope you are planning to take out the sound via the 3.5 jack. You must be going to use a '3.5 jack to RCA' adaptor cable. In that case you will get a L,R speaker outputs. So how you are going to make the front, rear sound setup?. If L split as FL, RL and R split ad FR, RR its going to be repeated sound not like what we have in regular 4.1 ICE. Can you share some more details about how you are planning to execute?.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but have you checked out the Sony XSP N1BT cradle receiver? (I haven't). It can be used with and without a phone docked in as a screen. The maximum size of the phone that can be docked is 5.5".

Last edited:

Top Bottom