An Odd Comparo: Fiat Punto 90HP VS Toyota Innova D4-D!

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys, its been quite some time I wrote anything about the Innova. Since I had nothing much to say about the car, I thought of this awkward comparison between my Punto and the Innova. For this comparo, I have been judging and driving both the cars back to back for the past 3 days.

Since, there are numerous pics in my ownership threads of both the cars, I wont add to many pics in here. Those who feel that this comparo is weird and waste of time ---> [sleep] or [gun]

Looks :

Well, people say looks are subjective. I agree. I have been an SUV fan and I like big/huge vehicles. The Innova is BIG but errr... it just does not cut in. It does not have the presence nor the image of a big vehicle. It is not sporty nor is it brawny. It is a typical mini van which looks like it is meant to ferry a family in decent comfort. And does a family man care about looks? Heck, no. It serves the purpose. Clearly, the japanese Toyota has given priority to function over form.

It's the opposite when it comes to the Italian Fiat. Functionality be damned, the car should look sexy... I have never been to Italy but I just admire them for the sense of style and aesthetics that they have. See any Italian car and they look drop dead gorgeous - FIAT, MASERATI, ALFA ROMEO, FERRARI and LAMBORGHINI. Yes, please ignore certain models of LANCIA! Ok, now coming to the Punto, this timeless design was sketched way back in 2007 but still looks oh-so-good. It is a clean design with the right amount of muscularity and stance. I feel sorry that the car had to be raised for the Indian roads. There are no confusing creases and cuts, it's just a simple and classy looking car. I have seen very few people complaining about the way the Punto looks.

Innova - 0
Punto - 1

Engine and performance :

The Innova comes with a 2494 cc D-4D engine which produces 102PS @ 3600 rpm and max torque of 200 NM @ 1400-3400 rpm. The Punto has the National engine - 1248 cc Multijet engine with 93 PS @ 4000 rpm and max torque of 209 NM @ 2000 rpm. Yes, you read it right... The 8 Lac Punto makes more torque than the 15 Lac Innova!

But point to note here is - how and when is the torque produced. If you notice, the Innova attains it's peak torque a whole 600 rpm before the Punto. And that matters a lot in the city. In real world conditions, especially in the first two gears, the Innova feels much more responsive and sprightly when compared to the Punto. On a drag race, the Innova will leave behind the Punto, atleast for the first few seconds.

But things change when both the cars reach 3rd gear. This is where now Punto shows it's true colors. Performance from here onwards is strong and you can expect a pull which will bring it closer to the Innova which was leading till now. By the time you reach 100-110 kmph, the Innova gets bogged down in 5th gear whereas the Punto still pulls easily in 4th or 5th gear. The Punto climbs all the way till 140-150 kmph easily whereas the Innova struggles beyond 120 kmph.This is because of the superior aerodynamics and power-to-weight ratio of the Punto.

So overall Punto wins this round.

Innova - 0
Punto - 2

Space and comfort :

The cabin of the Innova is leagues ahead of the Punto. Be it the space or the quality of plastics used, the Innova has an edge. But surprisingly, the front seats of the Punto feels more spacious than the Innova's. In the rear seats, there is no comparison. Innova is business class and the Punto is economy! Innova has the advantage of the 3rd row too. Boot space is obviously more in the Innova as it has the flexibility of folding the 3rd row. Even Punto's rear seat can be folded, but because of the enormous width and height of the Innova, it is a no brainer that the Innova comes out as a clear winner in this one.

BUT, when we talk about comfort, we also need to check the seats. The front seats of Innova are not as good as the one on the Punto. My Innova has rear bench seats which again is not as good as the one in the Punto. But Innova comes with an option of captain seats in the rear and they are supremely comfortable. Punto has a clutch foot rest which is a boon on long drives. The Innova lacks this. So this one goes to the Innova...

Innova - 1
Punto - 2

Reliability and ownership -

Even a kid knows that Toyota is the epitome when it comes to reliability. My 1.1 Lac driven Innova has had no issues other than general servicing and some worn parts. BUT, Toyota's A.S.S. is damn expensive. The oil change is every 5000 kms and servicing costs and spare parts are very very expensive.

Comparatively, Punto has it's service only once in 15000 kms. Servicing charges are cheap and even parts are cheap. Reliability is not bad, though not as good as Toyota either. I have had a bearing failure within 12k kms.

A.S.S. experience depends. Right now, FIAT is giving me better service than Toyota. But that is my personal experience. If we go by user reports across the country, then it is quite evident that Toyota is far better than Fiat when it comes ownership experience. So i give it to the Toyota here.

Innova - 2
Punto -2

Ride and handling :

When compared to other UVs, the Innova has a great ride and handling combo. The ride is flat and cushioning always. But due to the small tyres, it can get a bit choppy and hard at slow speeds in potholed roads.

Punto is known to be the leader when it comes to ride and handling. The handling is amazing to say the least, stability at high speeds is perfect and the suspension soaks up all the bumps without transmitting anything inside the cabin.

No doubts about it, Punto is the clear winner when it comes to ride and handling. But when compared to the UVs, the Innova is the best. So let's give this a tie...

Innova - 3
Punto - 3

Features :

My Innova has AC, rear AC vents, power windows, electric ORVMs and power steering in the name of features! All these are standard even in a 3 Lac hatch, so nothing extra ordinary here.

Punto has all of the above plus Automatic Climate control, Blue&Me, My Car, MID, etc. I am not mentioning the small extras like flip key, mood lighting, automatic door lock, speed sensitive audio, etc. Punto does have rear AC vents but it is under the front seats and pretty mediocre, not like the one in the Innova.

My Innova does not have a USB facility and steering mounted controls which the Punto has. But the new facelifted Innova has these, so I'll let it go!

Even though the Innova is much larger than the Punto, both the car comes with 15" alloys. So, Punto wins in this round.

Innova - 3
Punto - 4

Safety :

Innova has seatbelts, 2 Airbags with ABS. That's about it. I feel it is not good for a 15 Lac van.

Punto has a 5 star crash test rating. Apart from the above, it also has rear fog lamps, ABS with EBD.

If it matters, build quality and sheet metal strength of the Punto is far superior. Innova feels flimsy and tinny in comparison. The bumpers are wafer thin in comparison.

Innova - 3
Punto - 5

So, in the end, it is the Punto which I feel is more value for money when compared to the Innova. Some may have expected this! There maybe some Toyota fans who may feel that Toyota is asking a premium which is justified but sadly, I dont feel the same. I dont understand the logic behind paying a huge sum and then being deprived of a powerful engine and features and living with an expensive A.S.S., all for the brand value. Adios.

Well written comparision[thumbswink] Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, I totally agree with your concluding statement Punto is far more VFM product than the high priced Innova, if you want more seat's, for the price of Innova you can buy 2 Mid variant Punto's.

@Raj,it was a good comparo but at some points it felt biased too,biased towards whome?Haha,you know.

Still I enjoyed reading it and 100% agree on the point that Innova is overpriced.It's 'V' variant is priced near to the Corolla 'G' D-4D!!

So, in the end, it is the Punto which I feel is more value for money when compared to the Innova. Some may have expected this! There maybe some Toyota fans who may feel that Toyota is asking a premium which is justified but sadly, I dont feel the same. I dont understand the logic behind paying a huge sum and then being deprived of a powerful engine and features and living with an expensive A.S.S., all for the brand value. Adios.
"Innova" is Alright but I cant imagine about Liva and Etios which comes in similar segment of Punto ,I felt Maruti Alto k10 is far better built than both toyota sibilings.
and the 27 lakh truck err for-truck-owner..sorry Fortuner...unbelievable.owners give me looks as if they are driving away Landcruiser.

Thread Starter #5
Well written comparision[thumbswink] Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, I totally agree with your concluding statement Punto is far more VFM product than the high priced Innova, if you want more seat's, for the price of Innova you can buy 2 Mid variant Punto's.
Thank you bro. I thought I'll receive a lot of flak for this!

@Raj,it was a good comparo but at some points it felt biased too,biased towards whome?Haha,you know.
Please tell me where you felt it was biased bro.

Still I enjoyed reading it and 100% agree on the point that Innova is overpriced.It's 'V' variant is priced near to the Corolla 'G' D-4D!!
Err, I feel even the Corolla diesel is overpriced.

"Innova" is Alright but I cant imagine about Liva and Etios which comes in similar segment of Punto ,I felt Maruti Alto k10 is far better built than both toyota sibilings.
and the 27 lakh truck err for-truck-owner..sorry Fortuner...unbelievable.owners give me looks as if they are driving away Landcruiser.
True. Fortuner should have been ideally priced at about 22 Lacs on road for top end 4x4. Base model 4x2 should be somewhere around 20 Lacs OTR. This is, keeping in mind Toyota's reputation, brand value and quality.

Last edited:
Please tell me where you felt it was biased bro.
Leave it,I reread it and found that its based upon your personal experience and hence this may be true-but for you.
I am talking about A.S.S. and reliability part.

Err, I feel even the Corolla diesel is overpriced.
No doubt,it is..but then it offers a lot peace of mind at least more than what Cruze and Laura offers.

True. Fortuner should have been ideally priced at about 22 Lacs on road for top end 4x4. Base model 4x2 should be somewhere around 20 Lacs OTR. This is, keeping in mind Toyota's reputation, brand value and quality.
Raj bhai,I don't know how the hell government make you guys pay so so much money for the cars.
My uncle's son bought his car(Ford Endy 4X2) from Meerut,got it registered in Delhi and drove it to the Bangalore.Maybe he did this for the same reason.
Else you may feel it hard to believe but Fortuner 4X4 is available for 25.8 lacs on-road Delhi and in Dehradun and Gurgaon,the price is even lower.
So again,you theory is (slightly)limited to South-India only.

Thread Starter #7
Raj bhai,I don't know how the hell government make you guys pay so so much money for the cars.
My uncle's son bought his car(Ford Endy 4X2) from Meerut,got it registered in Delhi and drove it to the Bangalore.Maybe he did this for the same reason.
Else you may feel it hard to believe but Fortuner 4X4 is available for 25.8 lacs on-road Delhi and in Dehradun and Gurgaon,the price is even lower.
So again,you theory is (slightly)limited to South-India only.
In Mumbai, on-road price of Fortuner is 25-26.5 Lacs.

i have never driven a Punto but today drove an Innova and wow i quite liked it a lot. now Innova vs my Xylo:

Innova is very sprightly. Really takes off in the lower revs. Low end torque is much better than the Crde of the Xylo (maybe m-Eagle can better this). Rev it a bit and still Innova still takes the lead increasing from Xylo (again i dont know about the m-Eagle engine) and for refinement, the Xylo is quite unrefined as revs build up but Innova was cool as cucumber no signs of wear or tear. I pushed it to 120kph and yet it felt good. The CRDe of the Xylo really really runs out of breath at 80kph. Again maybe mEagle engin ecan better this. Still very very impressed with the Innova. Somehow i never liked it before. but after today, i liked it alot!

^^Buddy you need to drive the Xylo mEagle.Its not for no reason this is my favorite diesel engine.Only put down is Xylo's dynamics else mEagle+Innova will build a mind blowing UV.

Very nice compassion Raj Bhai. My vote anytime goes to Punto. Though i am a SUV lover but personally i don't like Innova as it's a Van. I have driven the Innova and another same kinda vehicle here (Honda Odyssey). Doesn't give me the confidence which you get driving a SUV.

Though i am a SUV lover but personally i don't like Innova as it's a Van.
Is nt it bit exaggerating to call Innova a VAN ?
I always felt Innova is a right vehicle neither an suv nor a sedan but a mix of both worlds in right proportions.I still wonder why toyota Hesitated to call it a Xover.
I hope you have missed out Toyota Haice that is what a van is upright seats bulky shape and crude ride. ?
But the negative points is as Raj mentioned , the build quality and too high asking price .

Nice comparison Raj. Although both the cars are from different segment I enjoyed reading the comparison. Thre is one question though. Is your Innova top end model? I am asking this question because the top end Innova might have ACC, ABS wth EBD, etc. I dont know but I am assuming it should come with all this.

Thread Starter #14
i have never driven a Punto but today drove an Innova and wow i quite liked it a lot. now Innova vs my Xylo:

Innova is very sprightly. Really takes off in the lower revs. Low end torque is much better than the Crde of the Xylo (maybe m-Eagle can better this). Rev it a bit and still Innova still takes the lead increasing from Xylo (again i dont know about the m-Eagle engine) and for refinement, the Xylo is quite unrefined as revs build up but Innova was cool as cucumber no signs of wear or tear. I pushed it to 120kph and yet it felt good. The CRDe of the Xylo really really runs out of breath at 80kph. Again maybe mEagle engin ecan better this. Still very very impressed with the Innova. Somehow i never liked it before. but after today, i liked it alot!
It's not fair to compare the 7 Lac Xylo's engine to the 15 Lac Innova's. Drive the mEagle or the mHawk in the top end Xylo and you will not even look at the D-4D!

buddy you got to taste Mhawk once if you do that i am sure you will even forget to spell D4D
Ahh, so even you like the mHawk!

Nice comparison Raj. Although both the cars are from different segment I enjoyed reading the comparison. Thre is one question though. Is your Innova top end model? I am asking this question because the top end Innova might have ACC, ABS wth EBD, etc. I dont know but I am assuming it should come with all this.
Yes, my Innova is the top end. It does not have ACC and EBD.

The new facelifted Innova has ACC, but no EBD.

It's not fair to compare the 7 Lac Xylo's engine to the 15 Lac Innova's. Drive the mEagle or the mHawk in the top end Xylo and you will not even look at the D-4D!
Is D-4D that bad?I used to think that D-4D is slightly underpowered but you raised the bar quite high.
BTW,90HP Punto also feels sluggish considering a 90 hp powerplant under the hood.My Corolla is not having even 90 bhp its just 88 but still it can outrun a Punto 90.So calling the Punto 90 a good performer is not that justifiable.Yes it performs better than Innova but still it has got a gearbox which eclipses the power while Innova as got the perfect gearbox for the car.

Ahh, so even you like the mHawk!
Oh,Raj got company.
@Visran:Kindly speak some words in the favour of mEagle too.

Yes, my Innova is the top end. It does not have ACC and EBD.

The new facelifted Innova has ACC, but no EBD.
Haha,even mine was also.But never felt the need of EBD,the ABS worked quite well until I used her.

Last edited:

Top Bottom