Amplifier Suggestions for Honda City

Thread Starter #1
sometime back, I upgraded the factory-fitted speakers in my 2006 Honda City ZX VTEC to Rockford Fosgate Components R1652-S for the front doors, and the R1693 6x9 co-axials for the rear parcel tray. I plan to install an amp now to get better output from the said speakers. The HU is the stock 2 din Alpine CDA-W560, I don't want to pay for changing it.

Looking for suggestions for a decent amp that's not too expensive, when can help me get more richness and clarity out of my speakers. i am more or less happy without a subwoofer, as the bass generated currently is ok with me. what i am looking for is to be able to hear all the instruments being played in an orchestra instrumental jazz type of piece so really what i am after is Depth and Clarity. so ICEgurus, gyaan away if you please!

edit: the car is out of warranty btw, so getting oem anything is not a priority anymore.

Last edited:
Re: amp suggestion

Do you have any set budget? You have many amplifiers in different ranges. JBL amplifiers are decent and cost around 8.5k-9k for a 4 channel amplifier which can be connected to your setup. I personally am using this amplifier and i am quite happy with it.

Call me poor, but I'm looking to spend no more than 5k for the amp,wires and install total.
Try sourcing Kenwood 846. It's a wonderful 4-ch amp and doing it's duty in my ride without a fuss. I purchased it for 6K. For 1K more you are getting a 4-ch amp so why settle for a 2-ch amp.

freakdude.

pls suggest a brand/model for the same, and also for a low cost 4ch amp
JBL GT5-S422 is the 2 channel amplifier which i was talking about which costs around 5.5k.
You can also go for sony amplifiers since they are cheaper. The model is
Sony XM-GTX60412 which is a 4/3/2 channel amplifier and costs around 6k.

Please do check the total RMS power of your setup (components+rear speakers) and the total RMS output of the amplifier to avoid distortions. The total RMS power of your speakers should not exceed the total RMS power of the amplifier. Each audio product has something called as PMPO/Maximum output and RMS (actual sound output of the product).

Last edited:
Try sourcing Kenwood 846. It's a wonderful 4-ch amp and doing it's duty in my ride without a fuss. I purchased it for 6K. For 1K more you are getting a 4-ch amp so why settle for a 2-ch amp.

freakdude.
Yup this one too is a good option. As freakdude mentioned add around 1k to your budget and you are all set!

Thread Starter #9
JBL GT5-S422 is the 2 channel amplifier which i was talking about which costs around 5.5k.
You can also go for sony amplifiers since they are cheaper. The model is
Sony XM-GTX60412 which is a 4/3/2 channel amplifier and costs around 6k.

Please do check the total RMS power of your setup (components+rear speakers) and the total RMS output of the amplifier to avoid distortions. The total RMS power of your speakers should not exceed the total RMS power of the amplifier. Each audio product has something called as PMPO/Maximum output and RMS (actual sound output of the product).
i just googled the rms rating - the comps are 40+40 rms, and the coaxials are rated 60+60 rms, so i guess that totals out to 200 rms total. does that sound about right?

Amping the factory fitted speakers has it's limitations. Thought your speakers are OK for amping just remember to keep the gains low so as not to blow them out.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #12
Shouldn't comps be rated having higher power than coaxials? Or does the difference lie in that comps have seperate tweeter whereas coaxials have it all together in one unit?

Top Bottom