Amarnath Yatra - (Quick 5 Days Trip To Amarnath & Srinagar)

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys, recently my parents and brother went for Amarnath Yatra.Though I didn’t go with my parents on this trip since I am in US but I thought of sharing the trip details and some nice photographs with my friends on TAI. This was a 5 days trip and there were 3 travelers (Dad, mom and brother). I can’t provide each and every detail since I was not there but I’ll try to put as much detail as I can.

14 July 2012:
They had their flight from Delhi to Srinagar at 8:00 Am but the flight got bit delayed by an hour or so. They reached Srinagar by 11:30 am. After reaching Srinagar they took a taxi which took them to Baltal (Baltal was the place from where the actual Yatra begins) which was a 3 hours drive and damm those taxi drivers earn like anything. They take 7 people in one trip and their charge is RS 1000/- per person. So we had to pay Rs 3000/- to reach Baltal. After reaching there, my parents went to the camp where they were supposed to stay until they leave for the yatra. There were lot of people in the camp (say about 100-150) in each camp. That was the end of journey for that day.

15 July:
On next day which means 15 July, around 5:00 Pm everyone left for a camp which was a 3 kms walk from Baltal. They had to wait at this camp and the next part of the yatra was to be started at 2:00 am from this camp (Don’t remember the name of that camp/place). So they had time to relax until night, before starting the remaining portion of their yatra.

16 July:
Now it started raining around midnight and the yatra had to be postponed by 2 hours and the yatra started at 4:30 Am and by 7:30 am they reached their destination. Now talking about the road/path condition, it was a (13 kms walk) and the road was okay at some places and some part’s were really bad. Due to the rain passage got wet as well as the mud. So it was really difficult to walk on it. People were slipping and falling down. The weather was cold as well. The temperature was around 2-5 degrees and on top of that it was raining which made it even worse. But everyone had their raincoats with them and kept walking. There were patches where it was pitch black and no light which made it even more difficult and scary walk for the pilgrims. Though they took 2 (khachars) aslo called MULE in English. A mule is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse. And guess what's the cost of hiring a mule. Rs 3000/. and only one person can sit on it. you can not share it.

After the darshan everyone started their journey back to Baltal and it took them around 3hours and they were back by 2:00 pm. After reaching Baltal they took the cab and went back to Srinagar by a cab and took a room in a hotel. And after having a shower and some food they finally got some rest.

17 & 18 July:
The next day (17th) they just went around Srinagar and enjoyed their day at the Dal Lake and some beautiful gardens around the place followed by some shopping. And on 18th they took a flight back to Delhi.
Enough of writing now let the pictures speak.

Attachments

Re: Amarnath Yatra - (Quick 5 day trip to Amarnath & Srinagar)

Excellent Pics buddy,

This is the very first time I'm seeing those areas.

Is any pics available of temple is available. If yes, uploadtd that one also [:)]

Thread Starter #6

Excellent Pics buddy,

Is any pics available of temple is available. If yes, uploadtd that one also [:)]
Thanks buddy.

You are not allowed to take pics of the temple. And actually it's not a temple. There's a "Shivling" and it forms from ice and it's inside a huge cave in the mountains.

Thread Starter #7
These are the pics from Srinagar (Kashmir). The great Dal Lake and others are from some garden they visited.

Attachments

Excellent Pics buddy,

It is not a temple, It is a huge cave where the Shivling is a natural phenomenon which is formed with ice. They say it melts somewhat in the peak summer months of May June.

@ Singh - AWESOME pictures. Thanks for sharing. Kashmir is a dream for me. Had been there long time back.

Thread Starter #10

It is not a temple, It is a huge cave where the Shivling is a natural phenomenon which is formed with ice. They say it melts somewhat in the peak summer months of May June.
Yes that's right man. And this year i have heard that the Shivling was about 20 feet.

@ Singh - AWESOME pictures. Thanks for sharing. Kashmir is a dream for me. Had been there long time back.
Thanks buddy. Yes kashmir is really beautiful and i was so sad that i couldn't go on this trip with my family. But i have been to Kullu/Manali dew years back and both these places are amazing as well.

Yes that's right man. And this year i have heard that the Shivling was about 20 feet.

Thanks buddy. Yes kashmir is really beautiful and i was so sad that i couldn't go on this trip with my family. But i have been to Kullu/Manali dew years back and both these places are amazing as well.
You are spot on. The Amarnath Shivling was around 20 ft this year. Its a coincindence that even as I was checking your Amarnath thread a friend of mine posted the photo of the Shiv ling in my face book and the info that it is 20 ft.

Kulu Manali is great. Been their thrice but felt Kashmir is OUT OF THE WORLD.

Last edited:
Nicely written buddy, I am sure you will be feeling bad about missing this trip just like i did last year when my parent's went and i opted out of it[frustration]

Thread Starter #13

You are spot on. The Amarnath Shivling was around 20 ft this year. Its a coincindence that even as I was checking your Amarnath thread a friend of mine posted the photo of the Shiv ling in my face book and the info that it is 20 ft.

Kulu Manali is great. Been their thrice but felt Kashmir is OUT OF THE WORLD.
And similar to the Shivling sometime "Sheshnag" idol is formed with ice. But this doesn't happen every year. But this year it did and this is considered as a very good thing. So my parents were really happy and felt lucky that they could see it.

Thanks for the clarification [:)]

Normally How much the Height will be?

@Chandranath: Thanks for providing the Info Buddy.

BTW, Which is the right time to visit that cave & how the rush will be?

Thread Starter #15

Nicely written buddy, I am sure you will be feeling bad about missing this trip just like i did last year when my parent's went and i opted out of it[frustration]
I know dude it feels really bad that too when i love travelling[frustration].

Thanks for the clarification [:)]

Normally How much the Height will be?

@Chandranath: Thanks for providing the Info Buddy.

BTW, Which is the right time to visit that cave & how the rush will be?
I don't know exactly what's the normal height of the Shivling. But ya this year it was really big.

And the best time to visit the caves is July-August. Because the cave is only open for 2-3 months every year. And within this time spam near about 20-25 Lac pilgrims visit the cave. And yes it is very crowded.

Top Bottom