Almira: Honda City 2012 V-AT - Story Of Gift (Miha)

During a highway trip of almost 450km during the complete lockdown period, it delivered around 16-17 kmpl. Maintained an average speed of around 90km/h. Enjoyed cruise control for the first time then

Thread Starter #17
Hello everyone, I hope you all are fit and fine alongwith with your lady loves.

As I said before, and also in my ownership thread, my Almira was due a brake pad change, and I took the plunge, trusting Brembo and @CRACING in the process and installed the Brembo Ceramic Brake Pads (red) today. I also got the disc skimmed as it had developed marks and rust.

When the mechanic removed the previous brake pads, I found out that they had wore unevenly. Please see the images.

Please advise as to what I should do to avoid a repeat scenario.

- Manas.

P.S: I also painted the brake callipers yellow, which I think looks good, while Dad hates it

Attachments

When the mechanic removed the previous brake pads, I found out that they had wore unevenly. Please see the images.

Please advise as to what I should do to avoid a repeat scenario.
There could be many reasons for uneven brake pads wear; such as lack of lubricant on guide pins, rusted guide pins, stone(s) stuck somewhere in brake system, improper flow of brake oil and major problems like damaged/bent brake system parts.

If mechanic couldn't find the reason then use new brake pads for some five thousand kilometres and check the brake pads. Also keep tab on brake functionality; whether it works properly or makes noise or steering vibrates.

P.S: I also painted the brake callipers yellow, which I think looks good, while Dad hates it
I would have painted it red since it matches the color of brembo. Yellow also looks nice, like those brake calipers on Ferrari cars.

What's the odometer of the vehicle , is this the first brake pad change?
Rotor skimming depends on the thickness which is left in the rotor , a vernier reading will say whether skimming is sufficient or is a replacement needed.

Thread Starter #20
If mechanic couldn't find the reason then use new brake pads for some five thousand kilometres and check the brake pads
Yes, will do. For now, he has lubricated the guide pins, although he found them okay even before it. Will keep tabs, as you said.

Yellow also looks nice
Thank You, yes red could have been good too, but are too mainstream, I feel. Also red would have looked nicer on a lighter shade, hence yellow for mine. 500 bucks, for the job, I'm satisfied.
IMG_20200819_202810.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #21
Last edited:
Thread Starter #22
So, a minor update.

Almira has been used frequently for business runs. I'm into food product packaging, so now that the lockdown has been relaxed a little bit, client meetings, deliveries etc are in full swing, so she's into work mode. I hate seeing her splashed around, but have to live with it, I'm finding a good water jet to wash her myself.

Till then, got her washed today at a new detailing outlet, very satisfied. Value for money, good eye for detail.
IMG_20200819_210000.jpg

Also, long due, got the brake pads changed, got the disc skimmed too, as it was needed.
IMG_20200819_210205.jpg

On removal, found uneven wear of the brake pads. Concerning, although on advise, will check the new brake pads after 2000-2500 KMs to see if the issue persists after skimming too.
IMG_20200819_210436.jpg

Installed Brembo Ceramic (Red) replacement brake pads, had procured them from Goa, for 2800 bucks including shipping. Good packing, and received the certificate from the vendor as a proof of originality.
IMG_20200819_210414.jpg

With the discs skimmed on a lathe (800 bucks), and also the brake callipers painted yellow (500 bucks), the brake pads were installed (500 bucks) and she was ready to drop anchors with renewed vigor. I'm not sure if the labour charged was okay or exorbitant, I'm learning the four wheeler trade for the first time. So whatever it might be, I'll take it as an experience and move ahead.
IMG_20200819_210940.jpg

Yellow, I feel, looks good. Didn't want the mainstream red.
IMG_20200819_202810.jpg

The service technician said that the engine oil is at medium level, and needs to be topped up. I'm not sure which oil the previous owner has used during the previous oil change.

Can I top up with Honda OEM oil? Please advise.

- Manas.

Thread Starter #23
One more query to all of you;

The service advisor said that the engine oil needs to be topped up, and I'm not sure which engine oil the previous owner has put in. I didn't change the engine oil because Honda advisor himself said that the engine oil is new and in good condition, and Honda City was last serviced in February. So shall I trust that she has Honda OEM engine oil inside her and top up with the same?

I haven't read anything about it, but I'm guessing mixing oils of two different brands would be harmful? Or mixing oils of different specs?

One more query to all of you;

The service advisor said that the engine oil needs to be topped up, and I'm not sure which engine oil the previous owner has put in. I didn't change the engine oil because Honda advisor himself said that the engine oil is new and in good condition, and Honda City was last serviced in February. So shall I trust that she has Honda OEM engine oil inside her and top up with the same?

I haven't read anything about it, but I'm guessing mixing oils of two different brands would be harmful? Or mixing oils of different specs?
Usually we don't mix oils but afaik it is okay to do sometimes. However, if you run low on engine oil then the engine will surely damage.

If previous engine oil is changed in less then 6-8 months and its slightly low now (It shouldn't happen actually) then you can topup. 1 year old oil should be replaced anyhow because it will be degraded.

Engine oil top up I suspect is a scam , normally for engines clocked above 80kkm sometimes they tend to take in some oil , thereby oil quantity reduces over time , and say if oil replaced at 0km , 4.5k-5k km , it requires a top up of 100-300ml , depending upon the difference.
In your case , I don't see any faults.

If you can post pic of your rotor disc , I can guide you whether skimming alone is now sufficient (an overhead pic to see the thickness left - maynot be accurate , but enough to rule out).
As its 18kkm , I don't think it might need a replacement.

My swift petrol hasn't undergone a brake pad / disc skim/change even though its 45kkm (I do only occasional hard braking - during highway runs , else mostly sedate driving within city) , also I usually grease caliper guide pin every 5kkm and wipe off the pad dust during the same (I don't use sandpaper for brake pad cleaning , I use sandpaper , just to sharpen the grooves of the pad)

Thread Starter #26
Recently went to Mumbai, Sea Link, Juhu Chowpatty etcetera, and while it rained in bits and pieces, please see the attached image on the issue I'm facing. This happens after a rainfall, and it severely limits by side visibility.

What can be done?
IMG_20200902_004730.jpg

Check A/c vent of driver side , it might be focusing more on the glass, also just put fresh air mode , automatically this fogging issue will go away .The issue cropped for that trip either :
1.You had taken the ride after parking it in rain for a considerable time.
2.Stopping in midway and as people get off and in , temperature fluctuation causes fogging.
3.Lowered the window for a toll in between the journey.
4.A minor cause (Debris on the windows)

Top Bottom