All-New Mahindra Thar: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #48
The hard top leak issue is an easy fix. Mahindra is taking special care and check to ensure no leak. My Thar was specially taken for this check and was rectified.

Thread Starter #49
Had a quick weekend getaway to Pondicherry from Chennai through ECR. Had leisure drive (below 100kmph) on the onward journey and had a fuel efficiency of about 14KmpL & had sprinted driving (about 120Kmph) on the way back and the fuel efficiency dropped to 12KmpL. Some pictures of Thar from the trip.
DSC_6444.jpg
DSC_6445.jpg
DSC_6447.jpg
DSC_6558.jpg

Had a quick weekend getaway to Pondicherry from Chennai through ECR. Had leisure drive (below 100kmph) on the onward journey and had a fuel efficiency of about 14KmpL & had sprinted driving (about 120Kmph) on the way back and the fuel efficiency dropped to 12KmpL. Some pictures of Thar from the trip.
Born in Jungle, adapted to city. [cheers]

View attachment 286135 View attachment 286136 View attachment 286137 View attachment 286138

Great captures - the one at night with the Thar in front of the colonial structure is very evocative.

Thread Starter #52
Due to personal work I had to drive solo to Madurai from Chennai and back on a 3 day trip. Enjoyed the drive, covered 450Km one way with just one stop and was comfortable. Total of 960Kms with fuel average of 11.15 KMPL calculated through fuel consumed & distance travelled method. I was cruising mostly at 120KMPH and some sprinted drive in straight stretch up to 152KMPH (Speedo showed just above 160KMPH but digital recorded at 152KMPH). One needs to keep in mind that this is not a sedan and should anticipate curves, braking and lane changes accordingly.

Clicks from ECOSENSE Trip recording
1.png.jpg

2.png.jpg

The Fog bulbs are replaced with LED, its just plug and play. I have ensured not to exceed the original 19W. The Fog lamps were slightly adjusted to through light to further away from the vehicle. I am only driving with fog lamps in the city and I don’t see the need to turn on the head lights
3.png

I Have added the Bug Deflector and I could see some less bugs in the windscreen.
4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with LED fogs is very high glare. Not suitable for City use.
I was thinking of fitting LED lamps (I hoped LED headlamps would not void any warranties) but the g
Due to personal work I had to drive solo to Madurai from Chennai and back on a 3 day trip. Enjoyed the drive, covered 450Km one way with just one stop and was comfortable. Total of 960Kms with fuel average of 11.15 KMPL calculated through fuel consumed & distance travelled method. I was cruising mostly at 120KMPH and some sprinted drive in straight stretch up to 152KMPH (Speedo showed just above 160KMPH but digital recorded at 152KMPH). One needs to keep in mind that this is not a sedan and should anticipate curves, braking and lane changes accordingly.

Clicks from ECOSENSE Trip recording
View attachment 286474
View attachment 286475
The Fog bulbs are replaced with LED, its just plug and play. I have ensured not to exceed the original 19W. The Fog lamps were slightly adjusted to through light to further away from the vehicle. I am only driving with fog lamps in the city and I don’t see the need to turn on the head lights
View attachment 286476
I Have added the Bug Deflector and I could see some less bugs in the windscreen.
View attachment 286477
View attachment 286478
Do the LED fog lamps void any warranties? And if they don't, what about fitment of LED / HID headlamps? Any warranty issues with these?

bhvm

Honoured Member
LED retrofit will not usually void the warranty. Make sure not to cut any wires and use original plug socket adapters. I Never had a problem Claiming warranty on my XUV.
But sometimes dealers are just looking for an Excuse to deny warranty.

LED retrofit will not usually void the warranty. Make sure not to cut any wires and use original plug socket adapters. I Never had a problem Claiming warranty on my XUV.
But sometimes dealers are just looking for an Excuse to deny warranty.
Thanks bhvm, will keep that in mind for the fog lamps. What about LED / HID head lamps?

Thread Starter #58
LED Fogs does not void warranty as the bulb rating is same and I have not cut any wires, it's like bulb replacement.

To reply on the glare issue, I have focused in a way to avoid any glare and since this is fog lampsnits low and it does not glare the traffic. LED bulb design has evolved to be more adapted for reflectors and conventional setup.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #59
Took up another highway drive just before lockdown in Tamil Nadu in my Thar. Started from Chennai on Saturday Moring 6:00AM and reached Madurai by 11:30AM with one stop bio-break, covering 455Kms. Started from Madurai at 12:00noon and reached Chennai by 5:45PM covering back the same distance with one short stop. The trip average was 10.7KMPL.

Never did I imagine that I would be using Thar for all these highway drives. My Next trip would be with my Honda Mobilio to compare my drives.

I felt that hard top had started having a dull look. Used a 3M Dashboard dresser and it looks good now. Used the same for unpainted bumpers & wheel arch claddings.

Due to personal work I had to drive solo to Madurai from Chennai and back on a 3 day trip. Enjoyed the drive, covered 450Km one way with just one stop and was comfortable. Total of 960Kms with fuel average of 11.15 KMPL calculated through fuel consumed & distance travelled method. I was cruising mostly at 120KMPH and some sprinted drive in straight stretch up to 152KMPH (Speedo showed just above 160KMPH but digital recorded at 152KMPH). One needs to keep in mind that this is not a sedan and should anticipate curves, braking and lane changes
How is the straight line stability above 120 kmph. Is it confident enough to do such high speeds. Also tell about the braking performance

Top Bottom