All-electric Hyundai i10 launched!!

Thread Starter #1
Hyundai has launched an all-electric version of its i10 city car ahead of its first public appearance at the Frankfurt motor show later this month.

The zero-emission Hyundai i10 Electric will be available to lease in the firm’s native Korea from the second half of 2010 before going into full production in 2012.

The i10 Electric marks a change in strategy for Hyundai, which has previously distanced itself from producing all-electric vehicles in favour of hybrid and hydrogen fuel-cell technology.

“We were going to do hybrid cars as a bridge before hydrogen technology really took off,” said a source. “But we recognise there is a future now in electric technology.”

Another reason for the sudden launch of the electric i10, which has been developed in “months” according to one executive, is the introduction of tax incentives for electric cars in Seoul. Previously there were no fiscal stimuli for such cars but this has now changed and Hyundai is keen to take advantage of this.

The i10 Electric’s power comes from a 49kw electric motor and a 16kw lithium-ion polymer battery, which has been developed with LG. Lithium-ion polymer batteries are lighter and more durable than more common nickel hydride batteries, offering a 30 per cent weight drop, 40 per cent volume drop and 12 per cent efficiency boost. The batteries and motor are kept cool by an electric water pump.

One of the i10 electric’s main selling points is its fast charge system, which can charge up the battery to 85 per cent capacity in 15 minutes from a 413V power source. A full 100 per cent charge takes up to five hours.

The i10 Electric can achieve 100 miles on a single charge. Its top speed is 80mph and 0-62mph occurs in 15 secs. The electric motor produces 155lb ft of torque.

The car is likely to be available on a lease only basis for the foreseeable future due to the large costs of the batteries. The unit used in the i10 electric costs 10,000 euro, which is more than the price of a basic i10.

However, lithium-ion polymer batteries last longer and hold their charge better than other battery types so should need replacing less often than in other electric cars. They are also easier to dispose of due to their smaller weight and size.

Source : ACI

Last edited:
Thats a good move by hyundai thinking green and coming out with its electric version of i10.What needs to see now is the fact how they offer this car in reality to other countries and at what price range.

This is quite surprising. Hope the cost of batteries comes down to own one.
yeah CC this is what now needs to see how hyundai offers this electric cars to world and at what price range, cost effectiveness and battries life, durability surely they would have taken all this into account, but for indian market, pricing is the key factor.

Thread Starter #7
Yes Vijay.

Hyundai is keenly working on pricing terms & it is planning to launch it by 2012.

But not sure when hyundai will launch it in INDIA & no clues of pricing yet!!

Very curious move!! Again, wondering about the price point especially in India.

Apart from Reva, we do not have any other electric ones in India right?

Cheers,
Vroom

Thread Starter #9
Yes Vroom!

But Reva is really not worth the deal.

It cost around 4.03 & its still a two seater car which doesn't even satisfies the look :(

I so totally agree with you Zinam. A couple of years back I got a chance to sit in a Reva early in the morning in Bangalore.

I would say one thing about that 20 minute drive: downright embarrassing.

Exactly my thought about the cost, if the electric is priced as a Petrol I10, it would be a killer. But thats more a fantasy than reality [:)]

I so totally agree with you Zinam. A couple of years back I got a chance to sit in a Reva early in the morning in Bangalore.

I would say one thing about that 20 minute drive: downright embarrassing.

Exactly my thought about the cost, if the electric is priced as a Petrol I10, it would be a killer. But thats more a fantasy than reality [:)]

yes it is a fantasy of pricing blue i-10 in that price range, but hyundai would definately come up with some affordable price range and to start offering this car, i guess even between 5 to 6L price is okay.

Hey Vijay!

If its priced at that range i will really own one more green i10 :)
Same here.With that price even i would love to own one.It could be a great city car.We would actually be able to save some money for a real monster,do it up completely & enjoy weekend rides in it.[:)]

350Z

Core Team
But unfortunately that may not happen in India atleast for next 5 years.
If that happens I'll too book one for myself and help to save mother earth.

Drive Safe!
350Z

hey my bro in law's bro in law stay in UK and i had a chat with him yesterday, he said there are news of this electric i10 coming and he said it might be coming to india as well with his friend working in a dealership there, aproxx 7 Lac price range.Not sure though.

Top Bottom