All About Indian Motor Vehicle Rules and Laws

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: New Motor Vehicles Law Passed?

I carry the original license obviously and the original RC card by force of habit. Sometimes I worry that if my wallet is stolen, the RC will go along with it. Hence the question
Keep the card RC in the Credit Card or Business Card Wallet. Keeping it in Cash Wallet definitely has its cons. In this regards, I am tension free as my cars have that big paper wala RC which don't fit in wallets[:D].

Regards

Akash

Re: New motor vehicles law

And a word of advise, don't keep original papers in the car itself
Your location says somewhere in MH, hence have a look at the below quote from FAQ section in Maharashtra Motor Vehicles Department website.

Do I need to keep the documents of vehicle with me while driving?
You must produce following valid document in original if demanded by police officer in uniform or an officer from motor vehicle dept.
I. Driving licence
II. Registration certificate
III. Taxation certificate
IV. Insurance certificate
V. PUC certificate
VI. Road permit and fitness certificate
"
And a word of advice [;)], don't advise people about things you're not sure about. Chill, I don't have my taxation certificate original in my car as of now.
Now I will make sure I am keeping that too in my car [:D].

Here in Delhi-NCR, Traffic Police can make out the difference between a Xerox and original.
Nowadays many of the states (including MH, DL) have smart cards for RC and License, so not just Delhi police almost anyone can easily figure out
original and xerox[lol]. I know you were talking about those paper RC and licenses.

Last edited:

And a word of advice [;)], don't advise people about things you're not sure about. Chill, I don't have my taxation certificate original in my car as of now.
Now I will make sure I am keeping that too in my car [:D].
Ok bro, noted [:)] but what if the car is stolen. It will make escaping quite easy, though I agree that this is 100 times less likely to happen than a traffic cop stopping you.

P.S. Can you please provide the address of the MH MV department website.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Ok bro, noted but what if the car is stolen. It will make escaping quite easy,
Shri, person whose car will be stolen, foremost he'll lodge a complaint at-least to claim in insurance. Escaping after theft is not so easy at-least in case of cars. 2 Wheeler on the other hand, yes probability of escaping is high undoubtedly.

Regards

Akash

Registration will happen when you pay the tax right?

So single smart card (RC) serves the purpose of registration and taxation certificate. Other is Insurance certificate which is printed paper from insurance website, you can reprint it as many times in case of loss. Driving license is also coming as a smart card now a days so we can keep that also in original. The last piece of paper is PUC which also can be kept in original rather than carrying its xerox [;)]

@ grand RK i was about to quote the same on the taxation card question by LAW (Lameassonwheels). regarding the theft of the car. The registration papers of the car is of no use when one steals the car. however having said that it can be used for illegal purposes and then thrown when found abondened the cops will summon the owner on the RC for Verification. so as soon as you car is lost or stolen make sure you lodge a police complaint ASAP. why because just in case its stolen and used for illegal purposes if you have filed the report you will be saved from intgerogation and you will acquitted of the charges otherwise the owner on the RC is considered the prime suspect without the benifit of doubt. I explained this as my friend has gone through this problem. it was not stolen but sold and the person buying it did not change the papers on his name and inturn sold it to someone else for money who used it for transporting sandalwood stolen from the forest after 1.5 years of my friend parting with the car a summons from the court was sent to him to be present in the court as he was the registered owner of the car. SEE small things can change your life upside down so be careful.

what if the car is stolen. It will make escaping quite easy, though I agree that this is 100 times less likely to happen than a traffic cop stopping you. P.S. Can you please provide the address of the MH MV department website.
Motor Vehicles Department ( R.T.O.) , Maharashtra
It is very unlikely that the thieves will use the car as it is. Mostly they will tamper the chassis, engine nos and use it with a fake number or that of an old car. So the original document will be of no use to the thief, so he will be least bothered.
Registration will happen when you pay the tax right? .So single smart card (RC) serves the purpose of registration and taxation certificate.
There is a separate taxation certificate other than the RC smart card. But I think cops usually don't demand it while checking document. Still there is a chance during month ends [;)]. If you assume like car should have tax certificate as it have an RC, you may also assume the car won't leave the dealers garage without registration (number plate is already there), so the driving license along with insurance and PUC will be enough?.

Last edited:

@ lameassonwheels the Taxation details will be on the RC card itself if yours is a private car. it will be located at bottom left which says TAX: LTT( LIFE TIME TAX which is 15 years ). only if its taxi you will have a separate taxation card. which is paid every year. if its a sedan which is sub 4 mtr in Karnataka its Rs/- 1750. I feel that is what GrandRK was trying to tell you.

I am constructing overhead shade on my bike to protect me from sunshine while riding.

Dear I want to know if this is permissible and what legal traffic problems may I face to run this bike on road. I so much want to run it on road that i don't want to change my idea but at the same time i am afraid, hesitating inside to be practical and start a run.

Please share details of problems i may face from any traffic inspectors by fake or legally and what steps should i take to make it success for me and my other friends to remove their hesitation too.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Sandy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey can you help me? Can i give my car to someone to drive & charge some money for it?

Last edited by a moderator:
you mean a private car which is given on rent for somebody. if accident happens and the driver absconds from the place then the owner on RC will be the prime suspect no matter what. so think carefully before taking such a decision if its a known person then there is no harm.

Hi jalex,
I read your thread thanks for the detailed write up. i would like to enquire about something i came across recently. Is it legal to mark L on our vehicle even after getting a valid license, if so then what is the time limit if any. Please let me know about this.
Thanks in advance
Reenz

It is fine if you keep "L" mark until you yourself feel confident in driving. No matter whether you get permanent license or not. I would suggest you to drive on all sort of roads at least until 1000Kms keeping "L".

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddies,

The Cabinet of Indian Govt. has approved the bill of amendment in Indian Motor Vehicle act.

NEW DELHI: The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved the Motor Vehicle (Amendment) Bill, 2016, providing for hefty penalties for violation of road safety rules. The fine for driving without licence goes up ten times to Rs. 5,000 while penalty for drunken driving increases fivefold to Rs. 10,000.

The decision was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

"The important provisions include increase in compensation for hit-and-run cases from Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 2 lakh. It also provides for compensation up to Rs. 10 lakh in road accidents fatalities,"
Link

Regards

Akash

there are 3 new amendments that have done in the new act which I welcome whole heartedly.

1. Not giving way to emergency vehicles (with fine upto 10K)
2. Juvenile accident case (fine and jail for the parent/car owner, juvenile will be tried under JJLaw, cancelling registration of the car.
3. Offences by enforcing authorities. (will help keep check on the officers)

amendments.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom