Airbags Now Standard Feature Across All Polo Variants

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
The airbags are now a part of standard equipment across all the variants of Polo.

However, this news comes along with an announcement of 2.7% price hike on Polo as well as Vento starting from 1st Feb 2014. Here's more from press release:
Volkswagen, Europe’s largest carmaker, announces a significant enhancement in driver safety, with the introduction of dual front airbags as standard fitment on variants of the Polo. In keeping with its ethos of offering best-in-class build quality, technology and safety, Volkswagen is now the first automobile manufacturer in the country to offer dual front airbags as standard equipment in the premium hatchback segment.

Building further on enhancing the safety aspect of its cars, Volkswagen is now also offering anti-lock brakes (ABS) as standard fitment on the Comfortline version of the Polo. In a move to partially offset increased inputs costs and changes in the exchange rate, Volkswagen has announced a 2.7% price hike on all variants of the Polo and Vento. This price hike, of up to Rs 22,700 for the Polo and up to Rs 26,800 for the Vento, will be effective from 1st February 2014.

Commenting on new safety features on the Polo, and on the price hike for the Volkswagen Polo and Vento, Mr. Arvind Saxena, Managing Director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Volkswagen Group Sales India Pvt. Ltd said “We are proud to be leading the cause of driver safety, and we believe the introduction of airbags as standard fitment across all variants of the Polo is a major step forward in the context of safety. Once again, this step underlines our commitment to producing better cars – and better-equipped cars – for the discerning Indian consumer.”

“Input costs have steadily increased over the last few months, and exchange rate movements have not been favourable. We have tried our best to absorb some of these, but in order to be able to continue to offer best-in-class quality and technology to our customers, we have now announced a 2.7% hike in our car prices.”
Drive Safe,
350Z

That's great, VW is first to follow Honda way to provide security to passengers [clap].

Slowly it will become standard with all manufacturers. [:)]

Brilliant Brilliant move by VW[clap].
One thing that I love about VW(like Fiat) is that they don't just increase their cars prices each year but also constantly update their cars with more features,last year it was the ACC and now these.Moves like these and ofcourse the soon to be announced GlobalNcap will ensure that manufacturers don't skip on atleast the minimum safety features on their cars.Hoping for the day when we will have ABS+Airbags in all cars irrespective of the variant.

Awesome move. really appreciate safety features, and believe even maruti / tata /others should have airbags / abs others, even though if they ask for a premium value. Human lives are more important than money, and with the crazy drivers on road everyday, that is surely needed.

This is a wonderful move by Volkswagen. Both for the customer as well as for the manufacturer. Its high time that manufacturers start acknowledging to give basic safety features in our market. I am sure more manufacturers will follow the trend in the near future and its the customers who'll be gaining the maximum. Kudos VW!

For someone who wanted the basic safety features earlier had to go in for the Highline variant which was close to 1.5Lac more expensive on road than the Trendline variant and used to creep out of budget for many. Now with just a hike of 20k, the feature is available and is standard across the range. Will surely increase the sales of the Trendline and Comfortline variants.

Good move VW; but some flipsides too:

1. Polo Trendline has dual airbags but no ABS!
2. The buyers of Highline variants have to pay more for no extra features.

The airbags are now a part of standard equipment across all the variants of Polo.

However, this news comes along with an announcement of 2.7% price hike on Polo as well as Vento starting from 1st Feb 2014. Here's more from press release:

Drive Safe,
350Z
Really good move by Volkswagen.Atleast they are taking a step further where music system is the first priority for most.Maybe most want to leave on a high note!Hope a day comes when the base variants come with ABS & Airbags.

Excellent move by Volkswagen. Dual airbags were standard in Fabia when it was launched initially. Not only that but the rear middle passenger got 3 point belt. Hope to see more manufacturers offer dual airbags and ABS as standard. I would like to also see the rear middle seat with 3 point belt as standard.

ABS is also important.I may prefer ABS over Airbags to be standardized in all cars .Airbags is an added advantage in case of an accident.ABS may stop the accident itself.It may be cheaper ,if made in mass production.

However good work by Volkswagen.

Nice move by VW. If ABS and airbags are provided standard across all variants, one would be happy to buy the base variant itself. And also this helps in getting your car accessorized the way you want, instead of relying on crappy OEM HU and speakers. [clap]

Friends
I had long discussion many times on the forum about the airbags and sorry to say that I am not really convinced very much on this feature, can Gurus enlighten me how is that great in Indian uneven road conditions where I have seen them opening with little impact and I have seen they got punctured immediately after a fatal accident as some metal pieces of body hit the airbags and lives got lost

Friends
I had long discussion many times on the forum about the airbags and sorry to say that I am not really convinced very much on this feature, can Gurus enlighten me how is that great in Indian uneven road conditions where I have seen them opening with little impact and I have seen they got punctured immediately after a fatal accident as some metal pieces of body hit the airbags and lives got lost
You are right, Airbags may get punctured when some metal part hits it and will not serve the purpose. But this is the chance we can take, for our and loved ones life. [:D].

And yes with all pros, it is still electronic machine, with algorithm fixed in it and it does what it is programmed to. [;)]

But without Airbags, the chances of dying person is more. It may not be full proof, but on most of occasions, it does save lives. [clap]

No No I am not at all saying they are waste. I have seen them operating perfectly in Europe and they save the person from that impact. Just trying to examining their quality on cars sold in India and also the accidents are in a pecular type from some cross angle hitting a A pillar or something else where they got opened and punctured that quickly.

Gurrala: can you point out to some actual pictures where A-pillar intrusion in the cabin has pierced the airbag ? Since this thread is particularly about VW cars, have you seen VW cars or some other make ?

The trouble with anecdotal arguments is that one can produce as many anecdotes for as against any safety feature.

Top Bottom