Air India Flight Crash: Mangalore (Karnataka)

Thread Starter #1
Guys i am really sad to say that my home town Mangalore has suffered a major tragedy.
Air India flight from Dubai-Bajpe(Mangalore).
Has crashed few metres from runway due to bad weather[cry]

This is Indeed a really unfortunate incident. My sincere condolenses to the families of those killed in this crash.

350Z

Core Team
That’s extremely sad to learn about it. How many passengers are injured/died and when did this happen? Can someone provide a link or more details on same; I was completely far away from news since last few days.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #7
What actually happened is .

The plane had caught fire and the pilot due to poor visibility has landed half the runway.

The airport is on a hill cliff.

The moment he landed the tyre bursts and the runway is such that it is open at both ends and then the forest.

So within the limited space of runway the pilot has to land.

And it require 3/4 of runway for safe landing.

But the pilot saw the runway halfway, and has crash landed on the halfway
due to sudden landing the plane came on runway then went off the runway into a forest with flames.

This incident happened on 6.30 am IST today.

This was one of the worst air accident in India in decades. Hope authorities find the REAL cause and do something to avoid it.

I read in the reports today that a Businessman lost 16members of his family in this crash. Really sad. May god give him as well as the families of those killed, strength to bear this pain.

like toyota there are bad times for Air India too! saw in news that more than 160 Air India flights have been cancelled / diverted today.

What actually happened is .

The plane had caught fire and the pilot due to poor visibility has landed half the runway.

The airport is on a hill cliff.

The moment he landed the tyre bursts and the runway is such that it is open at both ends and then the forest.

So within the limited space of runway the pilot has to land.

And it require 3/4 of runway for safe landing.

But the pilot saw the runway halfway, and has crash landed on the halfway
due to sudden landing the plane came on runway then went off the runway into a forest with flames.

This incident happened on 6.30 am IST today.
Since Mangalore Airport is equipped with Instrumental Landing System there is not way the pilot can loose track of the runway till 450 feet (even with poor visibility). However, after that height everything needs to be manual and is with in pilots discretion. Considering the landing experience of the pilots in Mangalore airport (16+ landing by main pilot and 66 landing by co-pilot) it is really hard to believe that they had the optical illusion caused by Table Top Runways.

So your point regarding the flight caught fire in the air is really valuable! Is there any local news reported claiming that the flight caught fire when it was in the air?

It is said that the touch down happened at some 7000+ meters in the runway leaving hardly 1500 meters to halt. The normal touch down should happen at 1000 meters (though experienced pilots will take it up to 1500 meters for smooth landing experience).

It is reported officially that the pilots recognized the grave danger they were in as soon as they touched down and immediately there was an attempt to take off again. However, the tail portion of the aircraft hit with the small building for ILS and eventually went off to the deep vally [sad]. Landing at a distance of 7000+ meters can not be justified in anyway and officials suspects that something serious has happened inside the cockpit in the last few minutes. We have wait 2 more weeks for the black box analysis report.

My experience:

Don't remember if I had shared my experience with you all earlier. I was rushing back home on 27th Feb 2010 as my father expired. My connecting flight from Delhi to Chennai was KingFisher First. Everything was so fine and had that 'King Fisher' experience till it the pilot made the landing in Chennai airport. I don't know whether I can call that as 'landing' or 'crashing'. The flight 'hit' the runway instead of a 'touch down' and bounced 2 times. Luckily the pilot gained the control of the flight and it stopped safely. We could see the dust and other particles flying out side because of the impact and the all the passengers were screaming with terror.

When the flight stopped safely, the crews apologized for the mistake but there was not even a single word from the pilots. Some of the passengers gathered, including myself, went on to the KF desk and complained. You know what was the first reaction? 'Sir, please lodge the complaint on our corporate site'! We personally mailed to KF service on this regard. they were really prompt in replaying with the standard phrase 'everything is handled as per the international norms and regulations' and 'we ensure you the safety and quality of service'

Heck with that!

Form my memory:
1 year back, when I was travelling from Frankfurt to Copenhagen, some what similar incident happened with SAS airlines. However, when the flight was under control the pilots apologized for the inconvenience and gave dense snow & fog as the reason. Further more the pilots were present at the exit door and ensured that they apologized to passengers and wished them a good day.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
So your point regarding the flight caught fire in the air is really valuable! Is there any local news reported claiming that the flight caught fire when it was in the air?

Shynish one survivor had clearly said that there was a smoke in the rear of the plane.
And people in the back seats had worst nightmare.They couldn't breathe.

May be the planes hydraulic control went kaput.

The main contol is tail of the plane with its hydraulic controls.

And pilot was no where able to descent even if he would have seen the runway.

And somewhere in the middle he has crash landed.

It is something like car moving speedy with brake failure.

My exprience about this is after watching Air-Crash Investigation on National Geographic.
-----------Next Post-----------

Shynish one survivor had clearly said that there was a smoke in the rear of the plane.
And people in the back seats had worst nightmare.They couldn't breathe.

May be the planes hydraulic control went kaput.

The main contol is tail of the plane with its hydraulic controls.

And pilot was no where able to descent even if he would have seen the runway.

And somewhere in the middle he has crash landed.

It is something like car moving speedy with brake failure.

My exprience about this is after watching Air-Crash Investigation on National Geographic.
And yesterday they have found the black box and investigation is going on.

Last edited:
Just wait for sometime, for how the crash happnd. The history says that most of the time, what looks as the reason for crash, is NOT true after thorough investigation.

350Z

Core Team
My experience:
Don't remember if I had shared my experience with you all earlier. I was rushing back home on 27th Feb 2010 as my father expired. My connecting flight from Delhi to Chennai was KingFisher First. Everything was so fine and had that 'King Fisher' experience till it the pilot made the landing in Chennai airport. I don't know whether I can call that as 'landing' or 'crashing'. The flight 'hit' the runway instead of a 'touch down' and bounced 2 times. Luckily the pilot gained the control of the flight and it stopped safely. We could see the dust and other particles flying out side because of the impact and the all the passengers were screaming with terror.

When the flight stopped safely, the crews apologized for the mistake but there was not even a single word from the pilots. Some of the passengers gathered, including myself, went on to the KF desk and complained. You know what was the first reaction? 'Sir, please lodge the complaint on our corporate site'! We personally mailed to KF service on this regard. they were really prompt in replaying with the standard phrase 'everything is handled as per the international norms and regulations' and 'we ensure you the safety and quality of service'

Heck with that!

Form my memory:
1 year back, when I was travelling from Frankfurt to Copenhagen, some what similar incident happened with SAS airlines. However, when the flight was under control the pilots apologized for the inconvenience and gave dense snow & fog as the reason. Further more the pilots were present at the exit door and ensured that they apologized to passengers and wished them a good day.
That's quite surprising, Such cases are becoming common these days due to silly mistakes by pilots but the reaction of a reputed airlines over this is not acceptable. Thanks to the stars that you all landed safely. I remember a case of some airlines an year back where the flight was scheduled to go from Delhi to Mumbai but Pilot put the aircraft in auto-pilot mode and slept. After few hours they realized that aircraft has reached to Dubai!! What will you call this limit of carelessness?

Also, Last year when I was traveling from Delhi to Bombay by Indigo Airlines, A lady Pilot was controlling the aircraft and before taking off when the crew introduced themselves, a guy on next seat immediately buckled up and said "Oh My! There's a Lady Pilot inside!" :biggrin: That was a hilarious moment.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom