Ahmedabad - Jaipur - Agra - Udaipur - Ahmedabad: Suggestions Invited

Thread Starter #1
I have booked a Innova Crysta AT Diesel (Mychoize self drive) from Ahmedabad. Speed limit 80kmph .Four days and 11 hrs. ,@18000₹ +6000 ₹ refundable deposit,fuel not included.
I am doing a Ahemedabad - Jajpur- Agra- Jajpur- Udaipur- Ahemedabad trip, 31st May to 4 th June.
We are family of 6 members ( parents and kids). And my father would help me relieving stress of driving for say 2 to 3 hrs a day.
I have following questions:

1) Is it possible to do Ahemedabad - Jaipur within 14 hrs (9 am to 11pm with a two hr. lunch+ sight seeing break at Udaipur?

2) what are the good restaurants on Ahemedabad -Jaipur road @ Udaipur?

3)Which is the nearest worth visiting sight seeing spot @ Udaipur on the Ahemedabad - jaypur road?

4) Good budget hotels with parking facilities to stay near the Jaipur's main attractions?
5)Good hyeginic eating places in Jaipur, Agra near the main tourist attractions and on Jaipur - Agra road, Jaipur Ahemedabad road.

6) Is it worth visiting Fatehpur Sikri or can I skip in lieu of remaining sight seeing in Udaipur?

7) How are the road conditions on the routes mentioned? Is there any Ghat section on these roads?
Please help me guys .

Last edited:
Re: Ahmedabad - Jaipur- Agra- Udaipur- Ahemedabad,suggestions invited.

1) Is it possible to do Ahemedabad - Jaipur within 14 hrs (9 am to 11pm with a two hr. lunch+ sight seeing break at Udaipur?

2) what are the good restaurants on Ahemedabad -Jaipur road @ Udaipur?

3)Which is the nearest worth visiting sight seeing spot @ Udaipur on the Ahemedabad - jaypur road?

4) Good budget hotels with parking facilities to stay near the Jaipur's main attractions?
5)Good hyeginic eating places in Jaipur, Agra near the main tourist attractions and on Jaipur - Agra road, Jaipur Ahemedabad road.

6) Is it worth visiting Fatehpur Sikri or can I skip in lieu of remaining sight seeing in Udaipur?

7) How are the road conditions on the routes mentioned? Is there any Ghat section on these roads?
Please help me guys .
Replying to your questions:
1) Ahmedabad - Jaipur can be very well done within 14 hours. Udaipur bypass is two lane road which will consume your time.The road after Udaipur will have less facilities throughout till Kishangarh with lot of trucks.

2) On Udaipur bypass you will find many restaurants.

3) You can visit City Palace on the way which is slight detour from main road. But mind it the distance is less but going in and coming back to highway might be task due to local traffic.

4) Most of the attractions are near Pink City, you need to check hotels near it. I was staying near Jawahar Circle from where Pink City was 10Kms.

5) Jaipur has famous Chokhi Dani for traditional Rajasthani food. There is one hotel named "Heritage Buffet" near Hawa Mahal which is also good for food.

In Agra there is hotel named "Pinch of Spice" located on Fatehbad road which is good for family.

On Jaipur - Agra road you will come across many restaurants near Dausa.

On Jaipur - Ahmedabad road you will come across Hotel Highwaykings on Jaipur - Kishangarh expressway. Do keep in mind that after Kishangarh the facilities are less.

6) Fatehpur Sikri will take hardly an hour or two. Its right on the road which you will take to go to Agra.

7) The roads are good. Avoid late night drive as the road has less facilities between some section. Watch out of stray cattle's on road, there are many in RJ. There is i=no ghat section anywhere.

For gradients i feel the parking lot of Amber Fort, Jaigarh fort is a task.

For more details you can check my travelogue here

I have booked a Innova Crysta AT Diesel (Mychoize self drive) from Ahmedabad. Speed limit 80kmph .Four days and 11 hrs. ,@18000₹ +6000 ₹ refundable deposit,fuel not included.
I am doing a Ahemedabad - Jajpur- Agra- Jajpur- Udaipur- Ahemedabad trip, 31st May to 4 th June.
We are family of 6 members ( parents and kids). And my father would help me relieving stress of driving for say 2 to 3 hrs a day.

Possible, but not with Udaipur break.
With your Speed limit of 80kmph you have to take the average speed into consideration. So its better to drive directly to Jaipur also saving from night driving.

Please help me guys .
Roads are smooth but with more than average traffic.Quite a few road diversions before Udaipur.

Thread Starter #4
Replying

3) You can visit City Palace on the way which is slight detour from main road. But mind it the distance is less but going in and coming back to highway might be task
I have booked a hotel @Udaipur near Jagdishwar temple (for night stay while coming back from Jaipur to Ahmedabad) , and would be visiting the City Palace's light & sound show on 3rd June night. Hence was thinking of visiting the Gulab bagh while going to Jaipur. Is it worth visiting,? Or would it be scorching hot under direct sun? I have already visited Rose Garden Ooty.

For gradients i feel the parking lot of Amber Fort, Jaigarh fort is a task.
I have booked AT Crysta, so gradient parking should not be a issue.

With your Speed limit of 80kmph you have to take the average speed into consideration. So its better to drive directly to Jaipur also saving from night driving.
But I will have to take a lunch break anyway, hence was thinking of clubbing a short sight seeing.

On which side of Udaipur Bypass lies, east or west of the city?

I have booked a hotel @Udaipur near Jagdishwar temple (for night stay while coming back from Jaipur to Ahmedabad) , and would be visiting the City Palace's light & sound show on 3rd June night. Hence was thinking of visiting the Gulab bagh while going to Jaipur. Is it worth visiting,? Or would it be scorching hot under direct sun? I have already visited Rose Garden Ooty.
Don't know much about this garden. Anyways, i have just visited Ooty Rose Garden where i was able to spot few varieties of roses as this was not the perfect season. Applying similar logic here as well i think there will be less roses here as well.

This side will be definitely scorching under hot sun. Do take caps, goggles and ample amount of water along with you.

I have booked AT Crysta, so gradient parking should not be a issue.
Parking is good but reaching there is a task in itself. Also when you come out of your car you will be surrounded by guides, photographers, sellers etc.

But I will have to take a lunch break anyway, hence was thinking of clubbing a short sight seeing.

The bypass goes from west side of Udaipur city when you head towards Jaipur.

Udaipur Bypass is on the East side of the city.
For all the sightseeing you will have to enter the city and Traffic can hamper your time schedule.

Thread Starter #7

I am getting a self drive HEXA (probably MT) and can cancel Crysta AT. The Hexa has got speed limit limit of 125kmph as opposed to Crysta's 80kmph. I hope it would be helpful for such a long trip in short span.

Thread Starter #9
Thank you all for the replies.

I completed the trip within 4 days 9 hrs.
Vehicle :Innova Crysta AT, self drive (My choize car).

The Zoomcar Hexa could not be booked due to payment failure problems in their app.
It (Crysta AT) was a base model with after market 2 din IEC, no bluetooth . Barring this, all the family members (total six) fully satisfied with Innova. The last row is usable by the average sized (5'6") two adults.

The MyChoize car: The front bumpers were came loose at at few spots and there were some minor scratches & dents, the delivery driver & me made video of the car exterior and interior simultaneously to avoid future quarrel. Also, while demonstrating the features, he switched on the de fogger mode by mistake and for few minutes we were blaming the summer season for the heat inside the car!

Total Running: 1970 km.

Fuel efficiency : 12 kmpl on Eco mode.

Since it was scorching summer in Gujarat and Rajsthan, I had planned the things so that most of the sight seeing remains indoor and if not possible then in the night time. And Innova Crysta AC is such a wonderful thing that within 30 odd minutes all the occupants including last benches use to start shiver due to cold despite the outside temperature was 42 to 47 °C.

Day1 :
Received the car 2 hrs, behind the schedule, at 11 am instead of 9 am., reached Udaipur at 4 pm Ahmedabad to Udaypur Road is a breeze , near Udaipur we came across rain, visited & enjoyed boat ride(20 minutes) at Pichola lake, the atmosphere due to rain was pleasant. Left for jaipur at 6 pm after some snacks. Reached Jaipur at 2 am. The 125 km stretch between Gouchouraha to Bewar is two lane, consumed lot of time. Later on while coming back I was told by a hotel guy at Udaipur that the route via Bhilwada is four lane [frustration] I don't know how true it is? . Even the google woman didn't showed it to me as optional route.

Udaipur to Jaipur road has some speed breakers but most of them are flattened due to heavy heavy truck traffic. Its hard to find a truck with less than than 10 wheels on this route, most of them are 14 wheelers.

Day 2 :
Morning 11:30 am to 1pm visited Jaipur City palace.(indoor part only) Also watched moving dolls /puppet dance.

1 pm to 2 pm visited Hawa Mahal.

4 pm to 8 pm done shopping in local Bapu Bazar (Rajsthani clothes) & Tripolia Bazar (Bangles) market.

The so called guides err... misguide & e - rickshaw drivers usually try to misguide you, and divert you to some costly shops and make you skip or postpone the sight seeing.
I felt prey to one of them, they usually take you to a place where they get commission. I was searching for a non veg restaurant which serves the Lal Mass (Non veg restaurants in Rajsthan & Gujarat are rare & difficult to find.), also I was reluctant to move the car from the parking for a small distance for the fear of getting charred inside the car which was standing under sun at 43°c, the e rickshaw driver took us to King's Pink City restaurant where there were two separate menu cards with different pricing.! But, since we were short of time we had lunch there itself.

In Udaipur too, I had came across a guide (or say misguide) who was hired(50 ₹) by us for getting a parking slot quickly near the sight seeing spots during our 2 hrs break there. He tried to take us to a crockery /handicraft shop pretending it to be a small museum. But I immediately came out & sat inside the Innova, while my family was yet to follow, & since the number plate was yellow /black, he thought I am a chauffer, and he came to me & said, "Dekho Bhai, business to business hota hain, mere ko bhi paisa milega to main tumhara bhi khayal rakhunga, tum bas party ko manage karna". He also shared phone numbers of his friends/guides available in Jaipur. Within five minutes my family came out of the shop & the guide learnt that I am not chauffer. His face was worth watching like any highly rated picnic spot in Rajsthan. Only difference was that the picnic spots are pink in color and his face was red. Pity guy escaped within no time, however he forgot to tell the same to his friends in Jaipur. Next two days, I use to get calls from them on AUX and my whole family use to enjoy the conversation at fullest as the guide use to offer me perks to trap the family in their net.

At 8 pm, left for Agra, a stretch of total 240 km, the best four lane highway experience I ever had, very few vehicles on the road that too heavy trucks, so no abrupt lane changing , hardly any speed breakers. My only grouse against this road is that there are hardly any good restaurants on that route , all that is available is roadside Dhabas meant for truckers.

I was 10 pm, and Agra was still 100 km, we came across thunder storm, a time came that visibility decreased bellow safe limits, we had to drive slowly later on and all the Dhabas & restaurants were closed. We wasted half an hour inside Bharatpur searching food. Now only option left was to have dinner at 5 star Taj Hotel at Agra. Fortunately, storm calmed down and we could head towards Agra. At 12 midnight, near Agra we could see few policemen having dinner at a Dhaba and we too had our dinner there. It was 2 am almost when we reached the rooms.

Day 3 : As we reached late in the night, woke up late, hence my plan to visit Taj mahal early in the morning, when it's not too hot, was shattered.
Finally reached Taj mahal's parking at 11 am and from there went in a e - rickshaw to the ticket window. As usual the e- rickshaw driver tried to divert us to something called Meena Market instead of Taj mahal . But we vehemently refused. Since family members were enthusiastic about the Taj mahal, we all enjoyed the Taj mahal under direct sun. This is the only spot where we had to come under direct sun heat in the whole trip. My prior plan was to visit Taj mahal at night time as it is open for 2 to 3 hrs after the sunset, 2 nights prior and 2 nights after the full moon. But since Taj mahal is closed on fridays irrespective of the full moon I had to change the plan.

After having dinner at the government restaurant (a costly place) near Taj mahal,from 4 to 6 pm, we visited the Agra fort. Since the sun was about to set during that time & the fort has high compound walls, we didn't faced direct sun.

From 6 pm to 10 pm done shopping at sadar bazar (Panchhi Petha & leather items.) & had our dinner at a veg restaurants there itself.

At around 10 pm, headed towards Jaipur. We were taken aside by Rajsthan police near the last toll booth, policeman was self declared law expert. He told me that the PUC is compulsory (PUC was not provided by the MyChoize guy) , the number plates with yellow letters /numbers on black plate are null & void as per new rules. Then he suspected my DL card was bogus and told me that total fine amount is₹ 2000. He also asked me not to teach him any law and we need to vacate the car for forfeiture.
Finally I met his senior there, showed sim impregnated in the DL, also told him that it is the Carchoize ppl who would face the legal proceedings for the number plate colour. Also told him that PUC is not compulsory. Then showed my government ID. Fellow listened carefully and asked his junior to let go.
Still the junior followed me pretending to return the documents and said that his boss has saved my time of checking the whole baggage & to do 'something '. Finally I did some "something" to him.

Day 4 : Again woke up late, reached Sheesh Mahal ( Mirror Palace) at 11am,enjoyed it thoroughly. Skipped all other open to sun places at Amer Fort. On the way back, had a five minutes look at the Jal Mahal (Palace built inside the lake water) .
It was 1 :30 pm by now and my original plan to reach Udaipur before 7 pm to enjoy Rajsthani dance show at Bagore ki Haveli & sound /light show at city palace seemed impractical, hence had to cancell.
From 2 pm to 4 pm we visited the Albert Hall museum at Jaipur.

At 4 pm, headed towards Udaipur, During whole trip in three states, I was unable to get a good quality tea. It was at Ashoka hotel & restaurant near Ajmer where I got it, tea was comparable to Pune Amrutulya quality.[/B]
At 1 am, reached Jaipur by same route. I had booked the hotel near Jagdishwar temple. Hotel did not had parking facility, so had to park the car at government parking (50 ₹/night) which was 50 m from the hotel, near Jagdishwar temple.

Day 5 : Again woke up late, from 11 pm to 2 pm visited Jagdishwar temple & Udaipur city palace. Those who are short of time can skip Udaipur city palace. I have visited Mysore, Hyderabad, Jaipur palaces and Udaipur city palace seemed mediocre & time/ money consuming (300 ₹/head) to me in comparison. Actually, the palace is privately managed. Half of the palace is used by the descendents of the King as residence & remaining half is accessible to the tourists. This means the part of the palace interior which is worth watching must be occupied as the residence of the King's descendents.

After the lunch near the Jagdishwar temple, at 3:30 pm, we headed for Ahmedabad airport. On the way, had worst quality tea of the trip. We reached the airport at 8 pm, the My choize car guy was waiting near the parking slot. I handed over the car to him. We boarded the plane to Pune in time.

PS :
1)During my whole journey of 2k km, I came across only two potholes,toll amount spent was almost 1₹/km. The stretch between Gouchoraha to Udaipur is like 75 km long four lane flyover bride and hence toll rate is ₹2/km.

2)We fought whatever heat we exposed with lot of water, fruit juice and avoided ice creams.

3)Since I work in emergency department, I have habit of staying awake for days & nights togather with hardly couple of hrs rest in between with all my senses fully alert hence one who have no such habit should not try such a trip.

Last edited:
Good trip !! Most of your drives seems to be done after sunset, that Kishangarh - Bhilwara section is almost deserted in night.

Its hard to find a truck with less than than 10 wheels on this route, most of them are 14 wheeler.
Very true indeed. I was surrounded by almost 5-6 biggies at chittorgarh toll booth. From my last Rajasthan trip i have become fan of these trucks (especially TATA 4018 - 18 wheelers to 22 wheelers)
bt.jpeg

Amazing trip in such a short time, very well planned.

Later on while coming back I was told by a hotel guy at Udaipur that the route via Bhilwada is four lane [frustration] I don't know how true it is? . Even the google woman didn't showed it to me as optional route.
Its indeed a 4 lane super smooth road via Bhilwara, i used the same route in my trip to Rajasthan.

Thread Starter #12
@GRK, The 10 to 14 wheels one piece are better than the the biggies with trolley type attachment because for the former it's difficult to change the lane abruptly.

At Amer Fort, local taxi guys pressured me to opt for jeep taxi as the road is stony & gradient parking.however, since the stones are well laid like paver blocks & my vehicle was AT, I didn't faced any problems.

@Silvereyez, I tried to find out the route from jaipur local folks but all suggested the via Bewar route.

Actually, late night running could have been avoided if I had got the My choize car in time.

Last edited:

Top Bottom