Aftermarket Sunroof?

Re: After-market Sunroof?

dhaya, I have experience of all kinds of sunroofs from X5 to Range rover and in India with my i10.

Leakages -- Yes all sun roofs are prone to leakages. IF and only IF there are blockages in the drain channels. However given Indian conditions it should happen within 2-3 years of usage.
Rattles -- Only on my i10 that too sometimes. To take this rattle out I have used a wiper blade rubber to fix the rattle.

Aftermarket sunroofs affects the overall strength of the car. However its not the same with factory fitted ones.

OT -- Yes I am a fan of sunroofs. It really changes the overall character of any car. I do like the panoramic sunroofs.

Thread Starter #17

@ Ilango Any updates about the sun-roof?

@ Amiti Yeah i am also a huge fan of sun-roofs. The thing is i should not feel annoyed or regret the decision of getting a sun-roof in my car. If its amp , subwoofer or projectors i can always revert back to the stock setup but that's not the case here , needs a permanent roof cutting to be done , that's what is making me think. What kind of leakages can we expect , i mean where are the points where leakages are prone to occur?

dhaya, take my word for it. I have used sunroofs on all kinds of cars.. If you clearly observe one thing, there is a rubber bidding between sunroof glass and roof metal. This actually allows water to seep in. This water then flows through the drains provided. These drain pipes then carry the water. These channels get blocked and then the rubber pipes get cut somehow. This is the main cause of leakage.

Trust me, DO NOT GO FOR "AFTERMARKET" sunroof. It looks shabby. One more thing, the after market sunroofs slide outside of the car's roof and not inside. Also the metal gets chipped and the finishing is not as the oem.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #19

Yes i know after-market sun-roof slides over the roof and not into them. I will discuss with Ilango when i meet him and then decide about this. I really love sun-roofs and i wont be changing my car any soon , so this is the only option i have.

350Z

Core Team

Quite simply, installation is the most crucial part of having a sunroof. If you’re really keen on installing one, then extremely professional installer is compulsory who knows what he’ll be doing. But keep in mind / be prepared that small leaks or rattles can occur almost anytime. I have shared rest of the views in this thread (which you might have read already). http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...6-different-types-car-sunroofs-explained.html. All in all, it's usually considered best to enjoy sunroof in cars in which it comes as an OEM.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Dhaya, have a close look at cars which are fitted with after market sunroofs. I mean cars that are at least a year old, and then decide. You will have the answer yourself.

Thread Starter #22

@ 350Z Professional installer? I will be doing the job only with Ilango , infact i will do will all my modifications and get accessories only from Ilango , can't find any other trusty or reliable modifier in Chennai. With Ilango i can be assured of quality and i also do get the best rate possible.

@ Amiti The problem is none of my friends have got after market sun-roof in any of their cars , i have never inspected a car with after market sun-roof till now.

I can adjust with minor leaks and rattles provided it does not happen always and annoy me! I mean leaks or rattles once a year which can be fixed , i can adjust!

Ilango's work is really good from what he has shown us till date.

dhaya still I would advise you to see one car at least which has after market sunroof.

To make it look close to OEM, you would need to get the entire roof dented painted after cutting the roof. Do update us on the same.

@dhaya,Few days ago,i got a call from my student saying that he has installed WEBASTO sun roof for his Verna.He said they gave a bill of over 50 k for fully automatic sun roof.
He might be coming to Pondy in another 10 days or so.I will try to get some photos then.
BTW,that car has Stanley leather on it,two woofers(nicely placed),Xenons on fog lamps,and 15"Lenso Project-D rims on Nankang tyres.

Thread Starter #25

@ Amiti Yeah i spoke with Ilango regarding this already , i will get it done but not now will take few more months atleast.

@ Surendar Yeah please bro , i want to see how it looks from the outside , on the inside what are all the modifications done , where are the drain pipes provided.

Sunroof for my Ford Ikon

Hi,i want to install sunroof in my Ford Ikon 2005 model so i want to know is it possible in real world and if possible than is it a reliable modification i am not concern about expenses but will like to go for this modification only if this will be hassle free in future as i love my car very much and not want to do anything which could damage it.Any reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Sunroof for my Ford Ikon

Buddy, I am not suggesting a Sunroof for your car as fixing of aftermarket sunroof often compromises the structural strength of the car. Apart from that, sunroof invites unwanted attention of the kids and passengers too which can be dangerous at times. So as much as it appears to be a outstanding fixture, it does have its flip side and negative aspects. Better to avoid it. Sunroofs equipped as OEM feature is much better as option than the aftermarket one.

Regards

Akash

Buddy, I am not suggesting a Sunroof for your car as fixing of aftermarket sunroof often compromises the structural strength of the car. Apart from that, sunroof invites unwanted attention of the kids and passengers too which can be dangerous at times. So as much as it appears to be a outstanding fixture, it does have its flip side and negative aspects. Better to avoid it. Sunroofs equipped as OEM feature is much better as option than the aftermarket one.

Regards

Akash
Thank you for your precious reply but can you please explain negative effects on car strength because of aftermarket sunroof in detail it would be great help

Thanks

Akash1886

Honoured Member

can you please explain negative effects on car strength because of aftermarket sunroof in detail it would be great help
Though I haven't owned a car with sunroof nor have I tried fixing one from open market but fitting an aftermarket sunroof involves cutting of the roof depending on the size of the sunroof. Cutting of the roof in itself weakens the various joints and the metal sheet used in the roof. Re-Welding of the roof (if needed) is a tough task too to match the finish as good as OEM. Water seepage and developing of rust is another issue that might occur in case you fix the aftermarket sunroof. Sharing with you a important link in our forum:http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...6-different-types-car-sunroofs-explained.html

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom