Aftermarket Fire Extinguisher in Your Car?

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Anyone ever thought about having an aftermarket fire extinguisher in their car? We spend grands on comfort / entertainment accessories but safety / security features are often neglected. It’s been a while since I am thinking to install one on both my cars. Now I need quick suggestions on the following:

> A suitable location to install one.

> A reliable brand with its approx. price.

I think 'Cease Fire' is one of the renowned brands in this sector and costs around thousand bucks. Most of the cars that come equipped with OEM fire extinguishers have it under the front passenger seat. But is it actually an apt location to place if required in emergency? I don’t prefer it on the A-Pillar (Gives an impression of cabs).

(Picture Source: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-review-pearl-silver-lxi-2007-69-000-kms.html)

Drive Safe,
350Z

Anyone ever thought about having an aftermarket fire extinguisher in their car? I don’t prefer it on the A-Pillar (Gives an impression of cabs).
I personally A pillar is the best place for this thing, As in time of emergency A -pillar will be nearest place to reach & lay hand on the extinguisher.( under the seat is useless)

I know most of the cab & tourist vehicles have them on them on their A pillar -dirvers or passenger side.

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Another issue is that it would require drilling which I’m not in a favour of.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Another issue is that it would require drilling which I’m not in a favour of.
If i am not wrong,
I think we just need to drill 2 small holes for holding the holder for extinguisher.
2 small holes wond cause any problem.

I personally A pillar is the best place for this thing, As in time of emergency A -pillar will be nearest place to reach & lay hand on the extinguisher.( under the seat is useless)
I second jayesh's thought. It wouldn't be so easy to reach if installed under the seat during emergency as you will have less time to react quickly.

Do we really need it? Most cars even abroad don't come equipped with it. Most modern cars have a fuel cut off in case of impact, so chances of fire are minimum. However if you do install it, remember you need to do an annual servicing and monthly inspection. Most people just install and forget and expect it to work in an emergency. Another point to note is that Cease Fire is a Halon based extinguisher. Not very environment friendly and not the most effective for oil fires.

This is something that I've never seen any of the Aussie cars.
I am not sure if you really need it. Modern cars have modern designs where computer shuts down everything to avoid any potential hazards. So I guess its a waste of money

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
that's not a very good place to put the extinguisher. have seen in several cars which looks very odd.

i'm not sure if it will be important since one can only control short circuits \ fire in the cabin.

if for some reason the engine catches fire , no one will even think of the extinguisher but will run for his life. moreover if he has access to the extinguisher , he won't be opening the bonut to put the fire out.

i once saw a product on a news channel. it was like a stick and can easily be kept in the dashboard. we just have to twist it or something like that and it will put off the fire. its cost was 4000 rupees. if there's smoke coming from the engine and one fears it can catch fire , just twist it and throw it on the engine.

EDIT : found a pic with details : http://es.en.alibaba.com/product/34...cker_fire_extinguisher_Flamebeater_stick.html

Last edited:
This is something that I've never seen any of the Aussie cars.
I am not sure if you really need it. Modern cars have modern designs where computer shuts down everything to avoid any potential hazards. So I guess its a waste of money
No matter how modern the technology has become at the end of the day it's just a machine which carries flammable liquid in it, Look at the amount of Ferrari's catching fire across the world.

Thread Starter #11

350Z

Core Team
Thanks for the suggestions. I have bought ‘Fire Stop’ and kept it in the door side pocket. It’s a use and throw can. Of course, nothing could be failsafe but there is no harm in taking a few preventive measures from our end. Anyways I hope I would not need it at all. I also think car fire extinguishers are highly recommended in some of the countries if not compulsory. In fact, a few manufacturers in India also offer it standard in their cars. (Hyundai Santro CNG / Fiat Linea T-Jet).

FireStop-Fire-Extinguisher-Can.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

So, you found the best place after all, [:)]This is also very easy to reach place.
I couldnt think of this place as my EECO does not have this facility.[cry]

Thanks for the suggestions. I have bought ‘Fire Stop’ and kept it in the door side pocket. It’s a use and throw can.
Drive Safe,
350Z
Great, you are becoming a trend setter hopefully other's in our forum follow's your example.
Please share the cost of the device.

Thread Starter #15

350Z

Core Team
I couldnt think of this place as my EECO does not have this facility.
You could fix the stand permanently on the door itself with a couple of screws. (Just in case if you do not like the A-Pillar idea).

so what was the cost of this ?
Great, you are becoming a trend setter hopefully other's in our forum follow's your example. Please share the cost of the device.
Price is just Rs.200 (After bargain. Quoted 300 bucks initially). It’s a 400 ML can and adequate only in case of a small fire.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom