Advice Needed: Planning To Ask My Daughter (with LL) To Drive My Verna on 4-Lane NH

Thread Starter #16
Re: Advice Needed: Planning To Ask My Daughter (with LL) To Drive My Verna on 4-Lane

Wow An interesting thread and looks like Im late to the party. I had the same dillemma when I taught my wife and sister to drive. We used to go on deserted road at 6 AM. when light was plenty but no traffic.

I taught them all, Speed breakers, Inclines, uphill starts, getting out of ditches etc.

4. Keep all RVMs towards driver. Open the navigator vanity mirror and adjust/hold it so you can see rear view yourself. In most of my cars I could do it to keep tab.

5. No. This will simply increase confusion.

Good luck!
Front passenger "vanity mirror" !!! Though you are late to this thread, "What a great idea you've given" It never came to my mind.

OT: I like to have some braking distance ahead. But, ever since I put that L-Board (err... L-Sticker) on the Boot, those behind me are using horns more and more. It was "sort of punishment" for me, but I have quickly learnt to ignore it

BTW, how can I use TAI's emoticons in "Smartphone Mode" ? I'm forced to use Android's Emojis here.

Thread Starter #17
Re: Advice Needed: Planning To Ask My Daughter (with LL) To Drive My Verna on 4-Lane

Tried using the above "Vanity Mirror as IRVM" concept last Sunday. "My height and Verna's Cabin design" prevented any useful info. Didn't work. I'm retaining IRVM for myself as of now.

bhvm

Honoured Member

Maybe it works best only with SUVs due to height & Design.

Thread Starter #19

Thought I should update this.

After 12 odd driving classes, my Chottu couldn't allot time for anymore driving classes, due to her College work load. After I got little confidence in her abilities, I allowed her to drive my Verna during day times for nearby short distances. Voila, she liked it a LOT; "the amount of pulling power the engine has, to move the car from complete STOP, just by gradually releasing the Clutch" did the trick. There were multiple in-town trips and She grew in confidence. I stopped bothering about MY rearward view. She is handling all on her own.

She booked her driving test (Yelahanka RTO) in the 3rd week of April. It so happened I had to go out of Station on the very same day. She and her Mom went to RTO on the Scooty Pep+, in my absence. The Driving School brought an Alto, and she cleared the DL Test, for both 2W and Car. Having driven a larger car helped her to drive the Alto, though she struggled with the Reverse Gear Position in the Alto (in Verna, one has to depress a button on the Gear lever and move towards 1st Gear). My Wife said, she made a STRAIGHT LINE reversing; the School said, that the Inspector (or whoever it was) was impressed and ignored her struggle with the Reverse Gear slotting.

The physical DL is yet to arrive (by Post - she was told), but we got a soft-copy of DL on her mobile thro' the mParivahan App.

She still makes mistakes; like taking narrow margins on the left, driving with hand brakes ON kabhi kabhi [frustration] or going from 3rd to 4th instead of 2nd etc.

Today, we are starting on a 500 km long drive to TN, to attend a Family function. My daughter is eagerly looking for it. I am targeting her to drive a minimum 200 km during this journey, including night time driving. Hopefully she might clock more kms. Thank you for reading. Special thanks to all the well wishers.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member

congrats & good luck.
practice makes perfect, the more the merrier.

After 12 odd driving classes, my Chottu couldn't allot time for anymore driving classes, due to her College work load. After I got little confidence in her abilities, I allowed her to drive my Verna during day times for nearby short distances. Voila, she liked it a LOT; "the amount of pulling power the engine has, to move the car from complete STOP, just by gradually releasing the Clutch" did the trick. There were multiple in-town trips and She grew in confidence. I stopped bothering about MY rearward view. She is handling all on her own.

She booked her driving test (Yelahanka RTO) in the 3rd week of April. It so happened I had to go out of Station on the very same day. She and her Mom went to RTO on the Scooty Pep+, in my absence. The Driving School brought an Alto, and she cleared the DL Test, for both 2W and Car. Having driven a larger car helped her to drive the Alto, though she struggled with the Reverse Gear Position in the Alto (in Verna, one has to depress a button on the Gear lever and move towards 1st Gear). My Wife said, she made a STRAIGHT LINE reversing; the School said, that the Inspector (or whoever it was) was impressed and ignored her struggle with the Reverse Gear slotting.

The physical DL is yet to arrive (by Post - she was told), but we got a soft-copy of DL on her mobile thro' the mParivahan App.

She still makes mistakes; like taking narrow margins on the left, driving with hand brakes ON kabhi kabhi [frustration] or going from 3rd to 4th instead of 2nd etc.

Today, we are starting on a 500 km long drive to TN, to attend a Family function. My daughter is eagerly looking for it. I am targeting her to drive a minimum 200 km during this journey, including night time driving. Hopefully she might clock more kms. Thank you for reading. Special thanks to all the well wishers.
Congratulations and Happy Journey to you Vijay sir,
you have been a Perfect and Brave DAD[clap]
The more she drives, the more she perfects it.
Now you can sit and enjoy the beautiful views on your roadtrip[;)]

Congrats vijay, your perseverance paid off, well done.

Now let the father daughter duo team enjoy the maiden long drive.

All the best.

Regards
Vinod

Congratulations Vijay !!
What else will be the happy moment to see our own children's driving our own cars along with us the way we want to drive it. Happy miles ahead !!

Thread Starter #25

Mini update; we started at 2:50 pm on Friday, it started sizzling and I didn't give the wheels till rains stopped. She could drive for about 25 km, when it rained in SHEETS !!! Rains continued till we reached Salem, and I decided to do the driving. After Salem also I continued, as it was night time driving. Hope, the plan (minimum 200km drive) comes through today. Rest is in God's hands.

Congratulations Vijay !!
What else will be the happy moment to see our own children's driving our own cars along with us the way we want to drive it. Happy miles ahead !!
Thinking i was asleep, my daughter complained to my Wife, "Dad is too strict (on the Highway)"...

Thread Starter #27

Update:

Yesterday, my daughter drove non stop for 2 Hours and 120 km, on the SH-42 and NH-44. I gave her the wheels, after crossing Thiruthangal (near Sivakasi). She started gingerly on the 20 odd km long "dual lane, single carriageway" SH, letting all bikers and mini trucks pass. After some time, she managed to overtake a truck and gave me a triumphant smile. Later she managed to overtake two trucks at one go and we did a High Five [;)] She limited the average speed to 60 kph, learnt to wait patiently before overtaking and also on "Babying the Car" over bad patches.

Once on the NH-44, it took her about 20 kms, to feel relaxed and climb up to 80 kph; the max she touched during the entire trip was a tad above 100 kph, while overtaking. A little past Dindigul, it started raining and I took over, all the way till my home at Bangalore.

But, she managed to gain adequate experience, including "smooth but QUICK lane changes", "Yielding", "GLIDING in and out of barricades", "holding car steady while going past larger vehicles", "changing gears by the Sound of Engine", "Leg-OFF / Leg-ON Throttle concept on Curves", "SWINGING past four vehicles in one overtaking maneuver" etc. Though, at times, she forgot that there is a 6th Gear in the Car.

There was ONE particular funny period. She went past an Alto, driven by 'what she called an Uncle' ... Ahem... uncle was of my age :-) Experienced Uncle on a less powerful Car and a beginner on a powerful Car. THE RACE STARTED. They kept overtaking each other multiple times, over the next 20 odd km and I was laughing like a Nut [lol].

More experiences and longer drives await my sweet daughter, during our next trips. Will keep posting. Ciao, till then. Thanks for reading, friends.

Yesterday, my daughter drove non stop for 2 Hours and 120 km, on the SH-42 and NH-44. I gave her the wheels, after crossing Thiruthangal (near Sivakasi). She started gingerly on the 20 odd km long "dual lane, single carriageway" SH, letting all bikers and mini trucks pass. After some time, she managed to overtake a truck and gave me a triumphant smile.
Fantastic to see kids grow, learn & accomplish. That smile which brought you the inner peace!
Though, at times, she forgot that there is a 6th Gear in the Car.
After a few years, she will be only in 5/6!
More experiences and longer drives await my sweet daughter, during our next trips.
More travellogues! More appreciation for nature. More photos, at least (drive & camera is way too difficult!)

Thread Starter #29
Update: 285 km drive with one halt

Last Sunday we went to Namakkal Town in TN, about 285 km away. From B'lore to Namakkal, my daughter drove and had her FIRST driving experience thro the Ghats (near Thoppur Toll Plaza). She quickly figured out the "Speed - steering response - Braking" combination required at ghats and did it quite comfortably.

Collage Mod.jpg

Overall she made about 5-6 "judgmental errors", specially while letting others pass or while overtaking others. She's now comfortable in cruising at 100 kph and is able to maintain 120 kph on free stretches. She completed this 285 km long trip with JUST ONE PIT STOP. On the return drive, I took over. Her first "500 km drive in a single day" can wait.

bhvm

Honoured Member

Congrats on the achievement.
Till first 10k Kms, I kept the psychological speed limits at strictly 80 Kmph on highway and 60 on open city roads. This is very important for safety. The car covers plenty distance at 120 in just an eyeflash.

New learners do not have the subconscious man-machine fusion to drive like we experienced folks have. They do not respond well in emergency.

Top Bottom