Advice Needed: Planning To Ask My Daughter (with LL) To Drive My Verna on 4-Lane NH

Thread Starter #1
Background: My daughter is in 6th Semester, got her LL recently. So far, she has driven our Scooty for about 350 km in regular B'lore traffic. She is Good doing doubles. Recently she has also completed 12 Driving lessons in a Driving School's Esteem, with about 45 - 50 km on typical busy B'lore Roads around 5 PM. Additionally she has done 35 km (80 minutes, but AFTER 10 PM) in my Verna and also a dedicated 30 minutes session on "8 Symbol". She even drove alone for 10 minutes during the 8-Pattern session. She has gone up to 40 kph max and has gone up to the 3rd Gear, so far. I had given her extensive lessons on "Car Basics - looking regularly at the Mirrors, Engine RPM, Clutch, Gears, Wheel Rotation, Engine braking, blah blah".

My Plan: I am planning to go to hometown in my Verna, this week. Thinking of giving my daughter the Car on the 6-Lane NH, after Hosur. I feel doing 50-60 kph on the NH's Left Lane will be ideal to give her more confidence. Depending on situation, the speed and duration will be decided.

My Check List: To execute above Plan, this is my Check List:

1. Sticking an L-Board.... DONE. (Note: I bought few "Red color L-Letter stickers, with minor White margin" from a shop near RTO Office. As Verna's rear glass is slanted too much, sticking it on the Glass resulted in "lesser visibility". I stuck it on the right side of my White color Verna's Boot (near where Verna is written). Catches attention nicely.
  2. I feel that it is not required to stick one 'up Front' especially for drives on the 4 / 6 Lane NHs. Is it OK ?
  3. Refresher on "basic vehicle control switches" and ensure they are within her reach.
  4. I will sit in the front passenger seat and adjust the IVRM towards me.
  5. Keep the "Car's Hazard Warning Lights Switched ON" in the evening. Is this advisable ???
  6. Ensuring all relevant papers are in the Car.
  7. The Driving School asks ALL students to remove Foot wear during lessons. She's been driving Esteem and Verna bare footed. I'm going to ask her to wear Sport Shoes. Any comments ?

Help needed from TAI Members:

1. Is my Plan OK ?
  2. Kindly suggest improvements in the Check List.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Advice needed : Planning to ask my Daugher (with LL) to drive my Verna on 4-Lane

As long as she keeps it to the Left (or middle lane with constant speed) lane (except for overtaking occasionally) & knows where her rear view mirrors are, she should do fine. Highway driving gives a lot of confidence & the driver sets up an unconscious understanding of the car's behavior.

IRVM toward you, why? You should be aiding the driver. It should be adjusted for her.

Hazard Lights - Definitely NO.

Footwear - Whatever she is comfortable with. I wouldn't pressurize her by asking her to wear something.

The only situation that I (& you) will be worrying when slow moving lorries occupy all three lanes!! Just ask her to be following them slowly at a safe distance, a way will emerge very very soon!

If I were you, I would be teaching her 'anticipation skills'. Anticipation is a key skill when driving on highways, IMO.

Last edited:
Re: Advice needed : Planning to ask my Daugher (with LL) to drive my Verna on 4-Lane

Hello Vijay_968,
Check-list 5) Not Advisable, its better to let her drive in Day-light only.
CL 7) Sports shoes are really comfortable for driving, its my personal opinion.

Let her drive for a few kms initially and let her reach top gear/speeds around 70kmph as you will be on the 6 lane NH, see her confidence, and then you can let her drive further.
Slow driving can also be dangerous on a 6 lane NH, so maintain a healthy speed.

Thread Starter #4

As long as she keeps it to the Left (or middle lane with constant speed) lane (except for overtaking occasionally) & knows where her rear view mirrors are, she should do fine...
IRVM toward you, why? ...
Hazard Lights - Definitely NO.
The only situation that I (& you) will be worrying when slow moving lorries occupy all three lanes!! Just ask her to be following them slowly at a safe distance, a way will emerge very very soon!
If I were you, I would be teaching her 'anticipation skills'. Anticipation is a key skill when driving on highways, IMO.

Hello Vijay_968,
Check-list 5) Not Advisable, its better to let her drive in Day-light only.
CL 7) Sports shoes are really comfortable for driving, its my personal opinion.

Let her drive for a few kms initially and let her reach top gear/speeds around 70kmph as you will be on the 6 lane NH, see her confidence, and then you can let her drive further.
Slow driving can also be dangerous on a 6 lane NH, so maintain a healthy speed.

WOW ... Thank you, CasualSurfer and SilverEyez. I highly appreciate your inputs. CL#5 scratched immediately.

IRVM -- it will be toward me, because once seat belts are on, it is difficult for the front passenger to check the rear, in Verna. As my Chottu will already have both OVRMs, I too can keep an eye on the rear. It will be for the initial period. When her confidence goes up, it will be towards her.

Slow moving lorries --- Thank you. This situation WILL come and we will be extra careful.

"Anticipation skills' --- it is extremely relevant. I have been guiding her to spot the Morons on City Traffic, so far. It will be extended for ID-ing Morons on Highways. For this, I will need the IVRM too.

70 kph / Slow driving can also be dangerous on a 6 lane NH, so maintain a healthy speed - She will be very happy that you recommended this. She's been waiting to hit 60 kph and I've been holding her back. Now the limit is raised to 70 kph. Depending on her comfort level the limit will be changed.

Once again, thank you guys.

Excellent initiative @vijay, from a doting father to his daughter.

You have covered most of the anxious parts nicely.

My views :
1. Teach her to use the outer RVM judicially, especially the left side, as we have idiotic Bike riders especially seeing a girl driving to overtake from left, never close the ORVMs for any reason.
2. Always maintain atleast 2 car's distance from the vehicle ahead.
3. Let her get used to the inner RVM use, you can always crane your neck to see all clear before the overtake maneuver.

Rest all as others have advised.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #6

... My views :
1. Teach her to use the outer RVM judicially, especially the left side, as we have idiotic Bike riders especially seeing a girl driving to overtake from left, never close the ORVMs for any reason.
2. Always maintain atleast 2 car's distance from the vehicle ahead.
3. Let her get used to the inner RVM use, you can always crane your neck to see all clear before the overtake maneuver...
Thank you, very much, Mr.Vinod. If my Chottu learns driving, I too will stand to benefit, especially on those regular one-day trips [;)] Your 1st two points are spot ON. The 1st one needs special appreciation.

About IRVM, I will keep it for some time and hand it over to her, once we both are comfortable on the NH. Thanks again.

BTW, it is bit awkward to drive a long car with an "L Sticker" in the Boot; I myself am getting extra glances from two wheeler drivers. Today morning, my colleagues had a great time, 'making fun of me' [lol] But, sitting beside me, daughter was not comfortable with such glances. I told her to ignore such glances, pretend look ahead and "avoid eye contact".

PS: Many "accident videos in YouTube" are a great source on "how an accident could have been avoided". I discuss these with my Chottu. I would recommend ALL beginners to watch these videos.

Last edited:

Just tell her to be a defensive driver.
Ask her to practice using the handbrake on an incline.

An important lesson (IMO): Make her feel the vibrations of ABS pedal, when pressed hard; and how brakes will behave when the engine stalls while moving!

Reversing a car is an art, let her practice on her own. [:)]

Thread Starter #8

Just tell her to be a defensive driver.
Ask her to practice using the handbrake on an incline.

An important lesson (IMO): Make her feel the vibrations of ABS pedal, when pressed hard; and how brakes will behave when the engine stalls while moving!

Reversing a car is an art, let her practice on her own. [:)]
ABS... I forgot ... Thanks to your reminder, I explained ABS to her. Shown a few videos too. Couldn't give a Demo, but now she knows what to expect.

Thanks to the good instructor, she uses Handbrake judiciously.

She's also able to reverse the Verna on straights. "Three point U-Turn" and parallel parking will happen in due course.

Once again, thanks for your valuable inputs.

Thread Starter #9
Re: Advice Needed: Planning To Ask My Daughter (with LL) To Drive My Verna on 4-Lane

Yesterday my daughter did about 35 km in my Car on the 4-Lane NH44. In the 1st phase, she did about 15 km from Dharmapuri to Thoppur Toll Plaza. She started maintaing 40 kph and slowly reached 80 kph. She was able to overtake slower vehicles and even drive through Thoppur Toll Plaza.

As Ghat section started, I took over and handed car to her later. She did another 20 km till Salem, but dropped max speed to 70 kph, in fadding light. Highlight of this Phase was the way she was dodging thro "Barricades on the NH" and the ease with which she got through Salem Toll Plaza.

On the Salem By-pass road, she was bit overwhelmed and I had to take over the car at a Signal. As day light was gone by the time we left Salem, she didn't drive further. This stint had given her lot of confidence.

@ CasualSurfer, SilverEyez, Mr.Vinod & SachinOnTop --- BIG Thanks to ALL of You.. This wouldn't have happened without encouragement and advice from YOU, Guys.

Re: Advice Needed: Planning To Ask My Daughter (with LL) To Drive My Verna on 4-Lane

Congratulations Vijay sir,
now you can relax and plan a long RoadTrip as you have an able Co-Driver with you who can share the driving responsibilities too.
Great to know that she maintained 70kmph and also touched 80kmph, let her drive more often so that she is in the flow.

Congratulations sir! It is indeed a very big step for any child. I am sure she is very proud of you.

Congratulating you both as an enthusiast as well as a great parent.I do suggest her to start using footwear (loose sandals,slippers,fancy heels maybe avoided compulsorily),its better to learn with footwear.
First of all ask herself to find a suitable best driving position in your Verna .Adjust mirrors,and other parameters to her requirements.
Stick to left ,nothing to worry , trust me ,she will be happy with her highway experience

Thread Starter #14

This particular trip was for about 1,400 km in little over 4 calendar days and involved some 300 plus km on State Highways. As the schedule was very tight, my daughter didn't get chance to drive on the SHs.

Yesterday, our return leg from hometown was supposed to start at 2PM, but some minor activities held us up and we started 4 hours behind schedule; 6 PM was poor timing, indeed. My daughter drove hardly for 10km around 60 kph speeds. Traffic on the Madurai-Dindigul stretch was on the higher side yesterday and she was not comfortable driving with Lights ON on the NH44. I thought she was getting stressed, and I took over for the remaining 400 km.

As we drove on, traffic became less and she felt the urge to Drive. But, just then we saw a hatchback involved in a minor accident. My daughter gave up the idea. Girls !!!

Overall she has got 45 - 50 km driving experience on the 4-Lane NH. I would have preferred more km, but it is OK for time being.

bhvm

Honoured Member

Wow An interesting thread and looks like Im late to the party. I had the same dillemma when I taught my wife and sister to drive. We used to go on deserted road at 6 AM. when light was plenty but no traffic.

I taught them all, Speed breakers, Inclines, uphill starts, getting out of ditches etc.

4. Keep all RVMs towards driver. Open the navigator vanity mirror and adjust/hold it so you can see rear view yourself. In most of my cars I could do it to keep tab.

5. No. This will simply increase confusion.

Good luck!

Top Bottom