Adding USB Function To a Non-USB Enabled OEM Head Unit

Thread Starter #1
I'm buying a wagonR Vxi BSiV(delivery this Sunday!), There is an OE Player in that. But there is no usb port. I need some device to be connected to the players aux in which have a 3.5 audio adaptor with usb port on the other side.

Ps: Wagon R website have that under the accessory list.. couldn't see else where.. any solutions available..

(I don't know the OE make of new WR Vxi)

Note: Refer to this post for more information: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...n-usb-enabled-oem-head-unit-5.html#post146775

Last edited by a moderator:
re: Add USB functionality in OE HU of Wagon R VXi

Hi Vishnum,

The USB function of the music system can be used only after connecting a USB adapter that plugs into your OE HU for USB support. AFAIK it isnt easily available as an aftermarket accessory. So while taking the delivery of your car, make sure you take the USB adapter from your dealer.

re: Add USB functionality in OE HU of Wagon R VXi

First Congrats for Wagon R. I too own new Wagon R Vxi.
The OE make of HU is Nippon. There is provision for USB adapter at the back of the HU. It is now available with the dealers but at Rs. 4990. After hearing the price I dropped the idea of buying this adapter.

Currently I am using Aux in cable for playing songs from my phone. But only problem with this setup is I have to do next/prev on phone which sometimes feels cumbersome.

If you find any after market solution for USB adapter let me know.

Thread Starter #5
Re: Add USB functionality in OE HU of Wagon R VXi

The USB function of the music system can be used only after connecting a USB adapter that plugs into your OE HU for USB support
@Akash: thanks for the info. in marutiwagonr.com, under the accessory list there is a unit available to convert from aux in to usb, which is a simple wire(dealer said its a long one and damages the pendrive when traveling in bumpy roads)

If you find any after market solution for USB adapter let me know.
@ sandeep; Sure dear. I will PM you if i find some useful tips on that. [thumbsup]

Is this the same HU which comes with DZire VDi/ZDi or Swift ZXi?
@gears: Not sure dear. As sandeep said its a nippon HU, which is integrated in to the dash.(pss.. nice , clean and smooth to look at..)

where to get usb adapter for oe HU OF WAGON R

I want a USB adapter for nippon oe HU of wagon r maruti's original adapter is very costly any other ones available with good quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #8

UPdate: Haven't found a set up suited for WR ICE. I settled for a USB to FM modulator(Ebay- Costs me Rs.220). Sound Quality is pathetic, and usb stick touches my Knee if I didnt keep it in an angle! Planning to throw that away and get as many CD written as possible!

If Some body have any idea, Please update..

Hi Vishnu,

I am too searching for the USB option as OE adapter is too costly for me. Currently I am using my mobile phone through Aux-in cable. If you are so desperate for USB then buy it from MASS for Rs 4990/- or if you think this is too costly then change the HU. There are some decent HU available in the market which will cost you lesser than the adapter.

As I reduced my usage of Waggi nowadays, so I am not that desperate for adapter. One thing for sure I am not going to buy it at current price, instead I'll change HU.

Changing the HU is a better option IMO. Instead of buying that adapter for 5k and listening to the same HU you can buy a new HU instead which will offer better sound quality and also all the functions you are looking for.

Thread Starter #11

Hi Vishnu,

I am too searching for the USB option as OE adapter is too costly for me. Currently I am using my mobile phone through Aux-in cable. If you are so desperate for USB then buy it from MASS for Rs 4990/- or if you think this is too costly then change the HU. There are some decent HU available in the market which will cost you lesser than the adapter.

As I reduced my usage of Waggi nowadays, so I am not that desperate for adapter. One thing for sure I am not going to buy it at current price, instead I'll change HU.
SK, I remember that you have a vxi. If that is the case, won't you be spoiling your dash by installing another HU? That is the problem dear, can't spoil the looks and need functionality. [frustration]

SK, I remember that you have a vxi. If that is the case, won't you be spoiling your dash by installing another HU? That is the problem dear, can't spoil the looks and need functionality. [frustration]
You have numerous options when it comes to HUs which look better then the OE unit and offer better SQ. And if you wish to have the OE feel, get a 2DIN HU which will merge well with the dash.

Thread Starter #13

get a 2DIN HU which will merge well with the dash.
Thanks akash, Any recommendations?
Like change the HU only and change the whole unit...

Please give any models that would go with the dash as you said!

Last edited:

Please give any models that would go with the dash as you said!
You may go from any model depending upon the budget. There are many 2DIN HU available in market of various brands like Pioneer, JBL, JVC, Kenwood. Tell us your budget and our ICE gurus will help you out.

Thread Starter #15

You may go from any model depending upon the budget. There are many 2DIN HU available in market of various brands like Pioneer, JBL, JVC, Kenwood. Tell us your budget and our ICE gurus will help you out.
15 - 20K that is the max extensible budget!

Top Bottom