Adding USB Function To a Non-USB Enabled OEM Head Unit

Adding USB Functionality To a Non-USB Enabled OEM Head Unit

Guys,

Today me and my friend had his SX4 kitted with an external USB reader. The install is fairly simple and was done in just 20 odd mins.

The device looks just a little bigger than a cigarette case with below par built quality but boy-oh-boy the sound o/p was just too good(way better than those FM modulator thingies).

Working : The device has 7 wires dangling out of it. The fitter-guy just cut 2 wires saying not required. Then an aux-cable was cut to remove the male pin from one end. The wires were stripped and soldered onto the left-out and right-out of the device. Rest three wires were connected to power source that was taken from the 12-volt socket's terminals. The device was stuck using double tape onto the small empty slot right next to the 12-volt socket.

The o/p from the device was quite amazing and didn't feel lacking in high/low notes. One drawback thought was it does't recognize folders and plays in straight sequence from the usb, but I guess that is OK as all an aux-in can do is play the audio signal received. Overall it was good.

The device costed us 800 bucks including an additional aux-in cable and fitting charges.

Few pics of the install :

2012-03-25 15.46.48.jpg

2012-03-25 15.46.31.jpg

2012-03-25 15.44.12.jpg

2012-03-25 15.49.03.jpg

2012-03-25 15.58.07.jpg

2012-03-25 15.59.13.jpg

2012-03-25 16.03.26.jpg

@mods - please merge if the topic exists.

freakdude.

350Z

Core Team
Re: Adding USB Functionality To a Non-USB Enabled OEM Head Unit

Note: Threads Merged. Thanks for sharing the information. I'm including its link in the opening post.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #65
UPDATE:
I have bought something from Ebay.in . This looks like a normal MP3 to FM modulator. but have an Aux out functionality.This enables it to connect to the Aux in of my player.
Cost INR 395
Just received the package and pictures attached. and hope that this works for me [:D]

Should I give the ebay link? Will that be against forum policies?

Any way adding it, and if against policies please inform me so that I can remove the links.
Branded Car Mp3 FM Modulator,SD & USB Slot to Connect PEN Drive | eBay

Attachments

@freakdude : can you please tell me the shop from where you procured this card device reader thingy ? I too reside in the Delhi-NCR region and could buy the same from there only.

P.S : couldn't use the PM route since i'm a new joinee over here.

Can anyone reading this post please PM "Freakdude" pointing to my above post. I badly need the address of the accessory shop to buy that device. I guess this thread is out of his notice.

@freakdude : can you please tell me the shop from where u procured this card device reader thingy ? I too reside in the Delhi-NCR region and could buy the same from there only.

P.S : couldn't use the PM route since i'm a new joinee over here.
Can anyone reading this post please PM "Freakdude" pointing to my above post. I badly need the address of the accessory shop to buy that device. I guess this thread is out of his notice.
Sorry for late reply buddy, was a bit busy yesterday. I purchased it from Sector-16 car market Noida. Shop name is Car Raunaq. Let me know if you need any more details.

freakdude.

Sorry for late reply buddy, was a bit busy yesterday. I purchased it from Sector-16 car market Noida. Shop name is Car Raunaq. Let me know if you need any more details.

freakdude.
Thanks freakdude for the info. Will get the device asap. One more thing i wanted to know, can we browse to a track directly in that device while playing ? And is it working properly till date ?

Would you recommend a FM modulator or this thing ?

Thanks freakdude for the info. Will get the device asap. One more thing i wanted to know, can we browse to a track directly in that device while playing ? And is it working properly till date ?

Would you recommend a FM modulator or this thing ?
The device is going strong. Any day it is way better than a FM modulator. It doesn't support scrolling, also no song names, just numbers. To reach a song you have to keep NEXT pressed and it scrolls quite fast. An alternative solution is, add numbers to the songs on your usb drive in the same order they are occupying places in the usb drive. This way you know which song is at which number. [:D]

freakdude.

Got the device installed for my Ritz ZXi as well. It's surely a blessing. Cost me Rs.750 including everything i.e Install+Device+Aux. The sound quality is miles ahead of FM Modulator and also, the playback doesn't stops/skips over the potholes unlike the modulator.

@freakdude, now the best part. Got it installed from my neighborhood shop only and didn't have to travel all the way to Noida. I showed him the pic and he said he's stocking it as well. Surely saved a lot of travel time + Petrol expenses in addition to a bargain of Rs.50 :p

Mine is a much cleaner install. The pics are attached.

Now the only drawback i found : When the car is restarted. instead of the moment where i left the song, it gets played from the start. :( The songs sequence is same as it is.

Lastly, can anyone give me a tip : How to play the song which i added last in a USB earlier or say at a custom order ? I don't want an alphabetical arrangement (familiar with drivesort/fatsort).

Attachments

Congrats on the install!! I guess it doesn't flag the song being played and hence it can't restart from the point at which you pause/stop. Regarding the order, the device numerically orders the songs so you have to scroll till end to reach last songs. But what the heck, for 750/- you got a superb add-on, so enjoy it thought it has room for improvement.

freakdude.

Friends,

Came across this amazing gadget through which you can play music from your bluetooth devices wirelessly in car as well as in home. Just connect the speaker source to this device via an aux cable and pair it with your phone and viola, you have a wireless music set-up.
@Mods : Though this device doesn't provide a way to add usb to OEM systems (which this thread is all about) but I still felt it should be here as all those looking to enhance their OEM systems would be coming to this thread.

BLUEDIO AV 890 NIB STEREO BLUETOOTH HEADSET for Samsung iPhone Nokia Blackberry | eBay

freakdude.

Last edited:
Got the device installed for my Ritz ZXi as well. It's surely a blessing. Cost me Rs.750 including everything i.e Install+Device+Aux.
IMHO this device is being over-hyped.
1) If you don't want a remote, you can just get an mp3 player that can be charged via mini-usb and connect it to the aux. Saves all the unwanted wiring and looks more presentable as well. If you want add on memory card, you still get players with that. I own a "sansa clip +" which can be charged via usb, has a memory slot and is smaller than a match box

2) Look at this device and this and lots like these . Less than half the price :) and they seem better finished as well. I have no association with DX, but you if did not know DX is amazing , ships free and always reaches. Bought from them zillion times.

No offense meant. Just my $0.2

Last edited:
The biggest concern if I connect my phone via AUX is I cannot do NEXT/PREVIOUS while driving.

So got this BLUEDIO AV 890. This connects to my phone and has buttons for NEXT/PREVIOUS so now there is no need for me to look at the phone if I want to skip a song.

Simply loving it. But I cannot charge this in my car as it comes with only wall charger. Once charged I can use it for at least 3-4 days with 1 hr/day usage.

Top Bottom