Adding CNG Kit to Zen MPFI - Help Required

Thread Starter #1
I own Zen 2006 MPFI
My daily running is around 60 km and monthly comes around 1500+ kms (including outing)
So 18,000 km per year.Zen returns me average 15 kmpl (with ac on always)
so total petrol required for 1 year will be 18000/15 = 1200 Ltrs approx
Cost for 1200 Ltr petrol = 1200 * 68.20 = Rs 81,840 [frustration]

Now I am seriously looking for alternative fuel options to save money.
I am thinking for CNG kit

CNG cost in pune is 37.90 and I know that CNG car gives Approx 20+ Mileage
so total cng required for 1 year will be 18000/20 = 900 kg approx
Cost for 900 Kg cng = 900 * 37.90 = Rs 34,110

Total saving I will have = 81,840 - 34,110 = Rs 47,730 [cry]

Those who have experience with CNG please help/suggest.

350Z

Core Team
Yes. It’s definitely worth to install CNG if you are planning to keep the car for a long term. The conversion should roughly cost somewhere Rs.35,000 onwards. Just make sure to go for an approved kit and get the endorsement procedure done at RTO accordingly.

Drive Safe,
350Z

get lavato or tamato(i think i spelled right? sorry for wrong spelling) kit only rest kit are crap nothing more then pain . with 12KG cylinder it should cost you around 25-26k also don't forget to get advancer installed and no need to installed lamda it will make your car like turtle

surfer according to your estimation it will take one year to break even. does cng increase the mileage of your vehicle? iam not sure. but the mileage comes down when you are using lpg- i can vouch for it. i had used it in the past.it only gives you 8o % of the mileage of petrol for a kg of lpg. the installers of the gas kit will promise you heaven prior to insallation.in fact one of my friends who also installed a gas kit, on my enquiry regarding his cars mileage, replied is it the mileage before or after the installation of the gas kit that i was asking him?[lol]

Hi Surfer, good decision !! better late than loosing fair amount of hard earned money on liquid gold (read petrol). I have Esteem 2005 model (I guess same engine that of Zen) and I got CNG fitted in October 2009 and trust me till now I think why I delayed it for so long from 2005 to 2009.

I was in Pune for around 8-9 months and the problem is availability of CNG pump (mine was around 8 kms one way - Kharadi to Hadapsar) [frustration]. If you are going 16 km (both ways) then CNG consumed in just filling process is high in itself (even the pressure is less on most of the pumps so Kg filled is less). The availability of the pump should either be near to your house or on your daily route to actually reap maximum benefit out of this.

Just check that as otherwise CNG filling will be a pain and instead of investing around 25-30K on CNG kit you will avoid going to CNG pumps. During my 8-9 months of stay in Pune 80% of the time I drove on petrol inspite of CNG kit fitted in my car :stupid:

@ Smooth rider - do not know about LPG but in case of CNG the mileage increases. My Esteem till today gives mileage of around 18 km/kg in city (without A/C) and above 21 km/kg on highways. The highest recorded mileage - 24 km/kg.

Thread Starter #8
I have Esteem 2005 model (I guess same engine that of Zen) and I got CNG fitted in October 2009 and trust me till now I think why I delayed it for so long from 2005 to 2009
Thanks ashinhere you have boosted my confidence now. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

I was in Pune for around 8-9 months and the problem is availability of CNG pump (mine was around 8 kms one way - Kharadi to Hadapsar)
I know this. But I stay in Hadapsar and now there are 2 pumps very much near my home [:D] Also there are many CNG filling station in whole city.

do not know about LPG but in case of CNG the mileage increases.
LPG offers same mileage like petrol only advantage is it is 38 Rs/kg and initial kit installation cost is less approx 18k

Yes cng/lpg definitely will help reduce the running cost, but just make sure that you will have to be on your toes to check the engine oil level quite frequently, no matter what the company or any other guys recommend, but make sure the oil levels are really leveled because the lubrication which petrol gives to the engine has now to be compensated with increased engine oil consumption.Just check the levels and you will be happy as a clam for the rest of your vehicle's lifetime.

Top Bottom