Adding a Camera Below Left Rear View Mirror

Thread Starter #1
I am using a rear view camera connected to Worldtech LCD monitor. The monitor also has provision to add one more camera. I have added an additional camera below the left rear view mirror looking forward and the image is viewable in the LCD monitor. This additional camera image can be viewed in V1 where as rear camera view is viewable in V2.
Here are the photos of the actual view from outside the car, driver seat view, image of the scene on the monitor,image of camera mounting. The advantage of using this arrangement is it gives a good view of left corner of the front bumper which is very difficult to visualise even for experienced drivers. Takes the guessing out of the game! [:)]
Hope this helps some more people.

Attachments

Re: Adding a camera below left rear view mirror.

This looks good, you can also try adding another one to the right ORVM so that it completes a Surround View Camera system on your car. [glasses]

I am using a rear view camera connected to Worldtech LCD monitor. The monitor also has provision to add one more camera. I have added an additional camera below the left rear view mirror looking forward and the image is viewable in the LCD monitor. This additional camera image can be viewed in V1 where as rear camera view is viewable in V2.
Here are the photos of the actual view from outside the car, driver seat view, image of the scene on the monitor,image of camera mounting. The advantage of using this arrangement is it gives a good view of left corner of the front bumper which is very difficult to visualise even for experienced drivers. Takes the guessing out of the game! [:)]
Its a very good idea, and very useful too [clap].

But will it not be stolen away when you park the car somewhere unattended? Or it should be hidden somewhere.

You can move the screen towards the left(for sense of proportion) & remove the side mirror(later) & have the cam there,so you can squeeze through traffic better.
Also mite help Merc owners who pay a lakh odd for their mirrors.[:)]

Hey lark is it switched on only in reverse gear,what are its modes of operation..Could you just explain in detail.

Thread Starter #7

This looks good, you can also try adding another one to the right ORVM so that it completes a Surround View Camera system on your car. [glasses]
Good joke ! (I hope you meant it as one.) I can always poke my head out for that angle. [;)]

Thread Starter #8
Hey lark is it switched on only in reverse gear,what are its modes of operation..Could you just explain in detail.
The monitor displays the image of v1/v2/sd as selected normally. If I select v1, i get the front camera image display continuously. When i put it in reverse gear, the image of reverse camera in v2 is displayed. The moment I go to forward gears, the image in V1 is restored. I hope this clarifies your doubt. Thanks for the interest shown in the post.[:)]

Thread Starter #9
Have you thought about pointing the cam to the rear slightly angled out so that it gives a better vision of your blind spot?
I know what you mean. May be something like this.
http://www.unisee.be/unisee-multi-camera-systeem.html

I did not find suitable hardware in the market to implement something like that. You know it is not only about cameras but how you present the information to the driver without overwhelming/confusing him.

Hi lark63,
Can we point the cam rearwards?I mean instead of forward can we use it for looking rearward,in my place lot of bikers who squeeze in from left.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Last edited:
The monitor displays the image of v1/v2/sd as selected normally. If I select v1, i get the front camera image display continuously. When i put it in reverse gear, the image of reverse camera in v2 is displayed. The moment I go to forward gears, the image in V1 is restored. I hope this clarifies your doubt. Thanks for the interest shown in the post.[:)]
@Lark, Great work and fantastic thought. Am sure you will find some suitable camera for this.

Till I read your above post I was thinking that the camera was put in LOVRM facing reverse side. Sorry for the mis-understaning.

Nice setup,
-How much would this whole thing cost?
-If I intend to do it on my new car would there be any warranty issues?because of wiring etc?

This is great in situations like hill travel where the roads are narrow and we need to take the car really close to the edge of the road to give way to some on coming vehicle.

Personally, I would like both the cameras to be installed the left rear view mirror - one facing the front wheel and the other facing the rear. So the display automatically switches the the rear facing camera while reversing. I do not need a conventional rear view camera.

The question is how to conceal these cameras.

Thread Starter #14
Nice setup,
-How much would this whole thing cost?
-If I intend to do it on my new car would there be any warranty issues?because of wiring etc?
It will cost approximately rs. 5000 including the lcd and two cameras. I do not see any warranty issues here. But you have to check with co. I have simply gone ahead and installed it.

Good one :)
I think I will feel it as more usefull when the camera is tilted a bit more downwards since I wanted view closer to the front wheel.

Top Bottom