AC refrigerant life

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I have a small doubt.
If i use AC more frequently, will the refrigerant get over soon?
For a normal usage, how long will the refrigerant last?

Thanks

AC refrigerant will last a life time. It does not depend upon the usage. Unless there is a leak, no need to top up the refrigerant. If there is a leak, then the leak has to be identified and then topped up, else it is a waste.

Using the AC regularly will actually benefit the entire AC system and keep the coolant properly compressed. The service manual actually recommends using the AC at least for 5 minutes in a week to have the parts properly lubricated. You have to worry only if you are not using the AC for long.

Note : Using AC often in turn reduces your fuel economy. To be more friendly to the environment, you can use the AC only when if it is required and in appropriate speed setting. Running it in full blast always is not eco friendly

Thread Starter #4
Oh... Thats really nice to hear that...
I thought using a/c would exhaust the refrigerant and avoided using it...

But, when i turn ON a/c the pickup is poor. That is another reason why i avoided a/c.

Anyway, i will try to use it quite often.

Thanks all for your response.
:)

you see vintage acs still functioning today even with gases which are banned, that goes to show it never gets exhausted unless theres a leak.
along with the refrigerant the compressor oil to flows through the pipes with the gas while the ac is on. hence as sai said use the ac at least for 5 minutes once in a week. at least you will know that your ac is working rather than getting stuck in the rains with an ac that does not work. it would be a pain to defog the glass
which car do you have?

Thread Starter #6
I just bought a used maruti 800 6 months back to start my drive.
That's how i am learning things about cars. :D

I would go for a new car in another 6 months and not suffer without basics.
Also i can keep my new car good.

Learning & experimenting is always fun !!!

Top Bottom