About To Book My Dream SUV (Thinking Mahindra XUV 500)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello everyone!

Launched somewhere late '11, The beast was Unleashed.
And man! Was I hooked!. It had everything i wanted. It was my dream SUV!!
Yeah I am talking about the XUV 500.

However, Dad said NO! and hence started a long, Painful wait period stretching about 2 years. We always wanted a feature rich SUV since 4~5 years,
Today I see some light as I managed to convince that we need a good SUV for our famliy. So before i empty my wallets, I have come to you friends for a honest opinion and some warnings with respect to how to buy , what to look, what to expect from dealer etc.

Since 2 years, The market has changed and many new products have come to market. Here is my method of ruling out the competition, You are invited to add/Criticize. (<18lac)

Safari Storme- had 2 safaris already, stretching over 13 years. Very few equipment. Muted looks (especially storme treatment). My fav vehicle but simply bored of it now.

Innova- No Taxi please! No looks. Expensive Toyota parts.

Duster- Too small

Captiva- No last row AC? No can do.

Aria- Fine product and friendly Tata service (yeah you read right) But i can't get off that 'Soccer mom' image it seems to have. Muted looks. Electronics issues. Looks a Mix of Tata Marina + Innova

Scorpio- Old product and cramped seats. Just a few lakhs saving from XUV.

So there you have it friends. I always had an eye on XUV and don't want to miss booking it before my dad's mood changes or something. I feel it looks best in white, Big and Handsome; but familiy seems to favor Arctic blue or Purple. Add some more convincing to my list! Any suggestions? I also want to add decals/LED strip to it later on, and white gives best contrast.

I have a few questions in mind, experts please help-
1)I heard that XUV had lots of niggles in initial batch. Alarms going off, GPS not locking, Switches failing, LED lights blowing out etc. Have these been rectified in the recent models? Are there any minor changes in 2013 version?

2)Many users report spongy, Noisy brake feels. Has this been taken care off lately? it is serious!

3)I want to go for better sound system but won't like to disturb the original HU in any way. Does the factory HU have a sub-woofer Out and crossover? Will I Need an amp? How and where to place the woofer, with respect to negligible boot space. I'm not concerned with Watts and show offs. Just good SQ.

4)Zero freebies? Im a little dissapointed here. What can i pinch the dealer for? i'm atleast wanting Floor mats and window film from him! Any tricks to persuade?

I will be Visiting Satpuda motors, Jalgaon tomorrow for test drive and booking on spot. So if theres something i need to know, HURRY UP friends!
The Dealer has quoted me 15.85 Lacs , W8 model, ON road with Insurance. No discounts No Freebies. No Accessories. Waiting 20 days.

Update! Link to the ownership review: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...oo-detailed-review-decals-audio-led-mods.html.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard bhvm and congrats,in advance on your SUV. Please go to this post of mine but I guess you have already decided your dream SUV. XUV is a great vehicle but do test drive other vehicles as well, so that you don't regret later.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/indian-auto-news/11028-tata-storme-vs-mahindra-xuv5oo-one-choose-95.html#post269791
When I bought my Scorpio m-hawk in 2009, the dealer said the 'freebies' on offer was the assurance of the delivery of the vehicle in a month.[;)]

Regarding niggles,please ask the real world XUV owners and you can find a few of their ownership threads here,their links can also be found in the same my post of mine.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/indian-auto-news/11028-tata-storme-vs-mahindra-xuv5oo-one-choose-95.html#post269791

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thanks manoj. Will help.
I have an eye on XUV since 2 years but i am unable to find a concrete info that 2013 models of XUV has fixed all the niggles. The ownership Threads i've read are dated 2011 or early 2012 so I wanted to know how much refinement has the vehicle got from Mahindra. Esp after all these complaints of niggles.

Will keep you posted bro.

Welcome bhvm. You and me are on the same platform. I am also planning for the XUV500 W8, and waiting eagerly to get some owner feedback on the issues it had in past.

I read it here on some thread that the Feb end batch would have these issues fixed. Also Mahindra are calling back some XUV to fix Windows issues so I believe it won't be a big risk to take as Mahindra I Believe has good ASS.

I would also like some real XUV 500 owners to comment out here please.

Hello and Welcome to The Automotive India bhvm buddy and good to know that you have zeroed on XUV.

I am a proud owner of XUV as well and mine is from Oct-2012 batch. Till date it has covered almost 4000 kms and i have come across only one issue and that's the grinding noise while applying brakes until 50 kmph, after that speed there is no noise AND it has not effected the braking ability of the car. Besides this i have no issues or complains.

And since my XUV is from Oct bath and the new batch of pads was released in december, so i went to the Dealer and they will change the pads on my first service.

Now one more thing since you own a Safari and Fortuner as well, don't expect the ride quality of XUV as Safari since it has stiff suspensions but it does not mean that the ride quality is bad. I guess you will understand what i mean.

Next changing the stock speakers please go through this thread. I got mine changed last month and got a AMP fixed under the passenger seat.

I hope these links help you.
1. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...aco-mahindra-xuv-5oo-w8-ownership-review.html
2. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...10874-draco-mahindra-xuv5000-w8-now-iced.html

Thread Starter #6

bhvm

Honoured Member
Welcome bhvm. You and me are on the same platform. I am also planning for the XUV500 W8, and waiting eagerly to get some owner feedback on the issues it had in past.

I read it here on some thread that the Feb end batch would have these issues fixed. Also Mahindra are calling back some XUV to fix Windows issues so I believe it won't be a big risk to take as Mahindra I Believe has good ASS.

I would also like some real XUV 500 owners to comment out here please.
Thanks mate,
After watching some 10 odd videos on Utube (owner and review alike), half dozen threads on TAI, I'll say GO FOR IT!
I have noticed that mahindra is attentive for niggles and is offering prompt replacement for said parts. Some news on Niggle-free version will be icing on the cake!

However, XUV is still better when you read about other cars niggles. Even the mighty fortuner is plagued by the brake issue (I own one). so XUV simply does it for me.

singh890
many thanks for dropping in. Your thread was mighty useful (read that and ALL XUV500 threads on this forum before posting mine). I really liked your hidden LED strip that illuminates front Grille. However what colour is it? Looks little different than Factory parking LEDs. Can i get a Dusk/Dawn pic for the same?

The good old Safari and Fortuner debate.... you can't compare these are different creatures. Safari is THE MOST comfortabe Indian vehicle Not even Merc C class comes close. However, Fortuner feels like a degrade and is not as comfortable as Safari. There are no arm rests on front rows like safari and also the cabin width is less. My mom always teases me that there's nothing like paying double for this fortuner when compared to safari.
XUV, Will get you back after a TD. Keep your eyes peeled!

singh890
many thanks for dropping in. Your thread was mighty useful (read that and ALL XUV500 threads on this forum before posting mine). I really liked your hidden LED strip that illuminates front Grille. However what colour is it? Looks little different than Factory parking LEDs. Can i get a Dusk/Dawn pic for the same?

The good old Safari and Fortuner debate.... you can't compare these are different creatures. Safari is THE MOST comfortabe Indian vehicle Not even Merc C class comes close. However, Fortuner feels like a degrade and is not as comfortable as Safari. There are no arm rests on front rows like safari and also the cabin width is less. My mom always teases me that there's nothing like paying double for this fortuner when compared to safari.
XUV, Will get you back after a TD. Keep your eyes peeled!
XUV is a good SUV and specially if your are gadget freak it has so much to offer .

Regarding the niggles there have been niggles but mahindra is trying all their best to sort them out , incase you are not in hurry I would suggest you to buy the xuv say after may or June , because by then all the xuvs will be comming with some upgraded components and hope fully most of the issues sorted out .

Take the test drive iam sure you will enjoy the perfomance of the xuv .

Thread Starter #8

bhvm

Honoured Member
XUV is a good SUV and specially if your are gadget freak it has so much to offer .

Regarding the niggles there have been niggles but mahindra is trying all their best to sort them out , incase you are not in hurry I would suggest you to buy the xuv say after may or June , because by then all the xuvs will be comming with some upgraded components and hope fully most of the issues sorted out .

Take the test drive iam sure you will enjoy the perfomance of the xuv .
hello there. do you have any idea what component Can be upgraded etc?
I also looked for ssangyong tourismo 2014 which was just launched in Korea. seems better options to be but there is no word on release date and pricing.

hello there. do you have any idea what component Can be upgraded etc?
I also looked for ssangyong tourismo 2014 which was just launched in Korea. seems better options to be but there is no word on release date and pricing.
Mainly new setup of brakes. I requested you with a suggestion to wait because by that time existing users who are getting these updates will be out with their feedback . And new owners who have their cars with them can also give a feedback .
Just for complete peace of mind I said wait , incase you are not ready to wait its all fine to go for it even now . Because the new car will anyway come with new components like brakes , latest infotainment software , and other things which they are replacing under the official recall .

Last edited:
Hi,

I have just bought an XUV (9th Feb) mine is a dec'12 manufactured vehicle. Here is the link for it: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ptimus-tuscan-red-mahindra-xuv5oo-w8-fwd.html

So far I covered around 1400kms on all various terrains like highways, expressways, ghats, broken roads, bumper to bumper traffic etc. and I havent faced anything which can be termed as a niggle or an issue.

I was able to get some freebies along with the pre increase price in January. list of freebies include:

1. reverse camera
2. 3d floor mat
3. side body moulding
4. body cover

I am still running on the old setup of brakes and pedal have to get it replaced whenever I take Optimus to the svc.

I only have one thing to say if you are looking for a 7 seater vehicle with boot space sans the carrier on top then dont buy the xuv otherwise you need not look elsewhere.

Thread Starter #11

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hi,

I have just bought an XUV (9th Feb) mine is a dec'12 manufactured vehicle. Here is the link for it: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ptimus-tuscan-red-mahindra-xuv5oo-w8-fwd.html

So far I covered around 1400kms on all various terrains like highways, expressways, ghats, broken roads, bumper to bumper traffic etc. and I havent faced anything which can be termed as a niggle or an issue.

I was able to get some freebies along with the pre increase price in January. list of freebies include:

1. reverse camera
2. 3d floor mat
3. side body moulding
4. body cover

I am still running on the old setup of brakes and pedal have to get it replaced whenever I take Optimus to the svc.

I only have one thing to say if you are looking for a 7 seater vehicle with boot space sans the carrier on top then dont buy the xuv otherwise you need not look elsewhere.
hello there mate, I have some questions for you.
boy! that's an impressive list of accessories for free. how did you convince him??
is the reverse Cam mahindra genuine?
I guess pre increase because you booked in dec?
may I have some pics of mat and body moulding please?
how's the default music system? bass especially!
thanks.

hello there mate, I have some questions for you.
boy! that's an impressive list of accessories for free. how did you convince him??
is the reverse Cam mahindra genuine?
I guess pre increase because you booked in dec?
may I have some pics of mat and body moulding please?
thanks.
Hi BHVM,

I have no idea how I was able to convince him.

my whole process from first TD to buying took around 2-3 months (various reasons), so may be thats why he was in a hurry to take the booking or not I dont know.

Infact it was only twice or thrice I had mentioned about freebies. once after a TD and once just before handing over the booking cheque. Even I was shocked when the SA agreed after the second time itself.

He himself gave me the list which included
1. Chrome package.
2. Side Body Moulding
3. Floor Mat

I told him to remove the chrome pacakge as I am not a big fan of chrome and instead give me reverse camera. even with floor mat he showed me all the options and asked me to choose one. He also offered me the Ganesh Idol and a bottle of Perfume which I didnt take (faith and health reasons).

I added the Body cover during the day of PDI and my payment cheque.

Will try to get the pics of the 3d mats this weekend, the pic of the side body moulding is there in my ownership thread. here is the direct link of the pic http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...uscan-red-mahindra-xuv5oo-w8-fwd-dsc02081.jpg

Reverse camera is the genuine Mahindra one.

The default music system is good enough for me. I was initially looking for the bass tube but after listening the factory system gave up on it.

I am not much of an audiophile and for me bass is not that important in the car as in the car I like soft music (read Kishore da, Mukesh) only sometimes I switch it to Linkin Park and some classic rock, but that is quite rare.

Got the pre increase price as I had pushed the SA to ask for it. and I got it after 2 weeks of the increase. the car was already with dealer at that time so may be thats the reason.

Last edited:

1. reverse camera
2. 3d floor mat
3. side body moulding
4. body cover
That's a good list of freebies that you got buddy. Back here it's like you take it or leave it, so these people don't let you bargain.

+100 to that.

thanks.
For some it works but for people like me i like bass though i don't blast the hell out of the volume but still like the feel. [;)]

@bhvm :
What are you looking for?? Something for show and its size. Or something for a bit of off roading.
Xuv: if u looking for show. Even AWD version of the xuv cannot be used for off roading because power delivery to all 4 tyres is uneven.
Safari storme: I really doubt whether it's worth 17 lacs for 4wd. Once a Tata vehicle leaves the showroom it's value depreciates by half. I don't know in Indore but definitely here.
Scorpio 4wd is a very capable vehicle. It's cramped for space inside but it's light and very powerful. If u can wait till 2014 the very version will be out.

@gego: XUV is much more then just show man. speaking from experience. The exhilarating feeling it gives while accelerating is simply awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom