A118C Car Dashcam - Review

Nice share [clap].
Touch wood, I have not run into corrupt files on my cam/card yet. I noticed the latest version of this software is dated Oct-2014, but still did the job [:)].

Thread Starter #17
Nice share [clap].
Touch wood, I have not run into corrupt files on my cam/card yet. I noticed the latest version of this software is dated Oct-2014, but still did the job [:)].
My memory card had bad sectors or errors because when connected to PC, Windows asked to "Scan and fix". I think its happening when I insert the card to my Android TV box to view videos. I do eject before unplugging but may its not actually ejecting. That is causing errors.

Anyway, Windows fixed the errors and I have fully formatted it. Hope there will be no problems hereafter.

I have tried several video repair softwares, some couldn't even read the corrupted file and some fixed partially. Registrator Viewer is the only software worked for me.

Last edited:
Speaking of software, is there a freeware/OSS that allows us to merge the individual clips, in case an interesting piece falls into two separate files?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i use vlc player for cropping(without downgrading quality) plus merging.

for merging.
media > open multiple files > select 2 files and add them > click convert ( drop down menu where play is written as default) > start.

Thread Starter #20
Speaking of software, is there a freeware/OSS that allows us to merge the individual clips, in case an interesting piece falls into two separate files?
You can do that in Registrator Viewer. Open the video files to be merged, Select all the video files in the list box and click "save whole group" (Either by right clicking or click shortcut button in tools bar). In "cutting" child window, set the save path and click start.

There are many more options like, sorting, exclude audio, speed, meta data, subtitle, cropping and etc.

Registrator Viewer is made by Russian developers and they use translates so some words are incorrect.

Thread Starter #23
Hello Friends,

Today I have received the hard-wire for my dashcam. Took almost 2 months! Still no improvement in transit. [sleep]

Anyway, the adapter is very small just like matchbox and wire length is about 2 meters from adapter to USB connector and input cable is less then 1 meter. Built quality of adapter casing feels flimsy and I doubt its durability under continuous usage. Yet I haven't tested the adapter but I will do so soon and provide details here as well as guide to hard-wiring.

Adapter Ratings: Input - 12-30v DC, Output - 5v 2.1a DC
Cost: 2.54 USD
Product listing: Link
Snapshot of Hard-wire and Fuse tap:

Dashcam_Hardwire_Mini-USB.jpg

As of fuse tap, I got that within a month and its good too. Here is the link to the listing but the seller has raised the price now. I got it for 1.50 USD.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #24
Installation Instructions [Hardwire Method]​

This method is used when you want to make direct and permanent power connection to the dashcam. Kindly note; this diy requires knowledge and experience in electronics, if you are not familiar, please get help from expert who knows how to do it.

Things required for installation -

Dashcam_hardwire.jpg
Hardwire kit - You can find this in ebay.com and Aliexpress. Costs around 2.5 USD and above. There are two different types of USB connectors (i.e Mini and Micro) so make sure you get the correct one that suits your dashcam USB port. Most of dashcams have Mini USB but some are Micro. Also check the design of the USB connector because some are 90 degree bent. Amperes of 1.5A or 2A is sufficient and voltage from 12v-24v standard.

Car_fuse_tap.jpg
Fuse tap - This is used to tap positive voltage from fuse box and negative is taken from bolts near fuse box. So that the installation would be easy, safe and also reversible anytime. Costs around 1 USD and above. There are different sizes of fuses taps. Buy the correct one that fits in your car fuse box. Honda City uses micro aka low profile fuses. Some cars use mini fuses and some large aka standard.

Car_blade_fuses.jpg
Extra fuses - Usually one or more fuse come with fuse tap but if not, you have to buy one. Fuse tap consists of two fuse slots, one for existing connection (i.e acc. fuse) and the other for tapped connection (i.e Dashcam in this case). Again, make sure you buy correct size fuses. Acc. fuse amps is normally 15A and for dashcam you can use 10A or 15A.

Soldering iron, lead and paste - Incase hardware has no cable lug.
Insulation tape, shrink tube, cable tie, cable clips
Large plastic pry tool - To pop panels.

Lets start the installation -

Step 1. Soldering joints

Note: If your hardwire has cable lug on the input wires then you don't need to solder. Just connect them, insulate and skip to step 2.

Hardwire_soldering.jpg
The hardwire input cable has two wires. One is positive (Red color) which needs to be soldered with fuse tap wire and another is negative (black color) that should be extended to connect to a bolt near fuse box. Make sure you insert shrink tube on the wires before soldering the joints, so you can seal the them later.

Hardwire_negative.jpg
Remove any bolt near fuse box that is screwed to metal and solder the negative wire around it. You can also use cable lug.

Hardwire_insulation_tape.jpg
Once done, use insulation tape to tie the wires. Now you have finished the soldering work and hardwire is ready to install.

Step 2. Removing driver side glove box and firewall panel

Driver_side_glove_box_001.jpg
In the Honda City 3rd gen, the fuse box is hidden behind driver side glove box.

Driver_side_glove_box_002.jpg
Driver_side_glove_box_003.jpg
To remove glove box, push/pull on both sides (upwards) and it will pop out. Take out the glove box and keep aside. Reinstalling is little difficult so watch how you remove it so you can reverse the process easily.

Driver_side_firewall.jpg
Firewall panel which is above ABC pedals also needs to removed so that there is easy access to fuse box and to unscrew a bolt for negative connection. The panel has two locks, one is knob that needs to twisted to unlock and another is metal clip that can be released by slowing pulling the panel downwards.

Step 3. Routing the output power cable

Ok lets route the hardwire. Insert the output cable in the corner of dashboard and take it out from the top (Use rope or wire to tie and pull). There is a existing wire going through A-pillar, route the power cable along with it. You don't have to take out whole cable, just a enough length from A-pillar to roof liner to dashcam. Excess cable can be tied inside the dashboard/glove box.

Step X. Placement of the dashboard camera and removing A-Pillar panel

Please check installation for Plug & Go Method in my previous post because here I would skip these steps.

Step 4. Affixing hardwire adapter, connecting fuse tap and fastening negative wire

Hardwire_double_side_tape.jpg Hardwire_installation_001.jpg
Stick 3m double sided tape to the adapter of hardwire and affix the same near fuse box. Make sure it doesn't interrupt with other parts.

Hardwire_installation_002.jpg
Locate accessories fuse and remove it using fuse puller. Use the same fuse and install it in fuse tap. Install another fuse (10A or 15A) for dashcam connection in the fuse tap. Once done, put the fuse tap into accessories fuse holder location and make sure it is secure. Next screw the negative connection bolt or cable lug and tie the excess wire to nearby metal holes or rod.

Step 5. Testing the dashcam and finishing the work.

Do a quick test of dashcam to see if it is working and do reverse steps to refit A-pillar panel, door rubber beading, glove box and firewall panel. Make sure the power cable doesn't crush when you refit the A-Pillar panel or glove box.

You have successfully installed the dashcam via hardwire. Congrats and enjoy it. [clap]

Hope my guide was easy to understand and if you need any details, feel free to ask.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Nice work there bro! Off late I am missing videos sporadically in my memory card. Not sure if the 12V connector goes loose or micro SD card misbehaves or worst case the dash cam itself is messy. I will order the components over this weekend to get started.

Thread Starter #27
Nice work there bro! Off late I am missing videos sporadically in my memory card. Not sure if the 12V connector goes loose or micro SD card misbehaves or worst case the dash cam itself is messy. I will order the components over this weekend to get started.
It must be loose power plug and I faced this problem lately. The power plug has metal clips on both sides to keep the plug pressed in well enough, so that the center metal pin gets contact.

Now after prolonged usage, the metal clips become week so they cannot hold the plug in place and spring in center metal pin, pushes the plug out. Did you see power led going off or dim?

I have seen many people facing such issue, especially with USB chargers and they have tried different solutions but none are not effective.

Good choice. I hope you will get the items soon. [:)]

Last edited:
Now after prolonged usage, the metal clips become week so they cannot hold the plug in place and spring in center metal pin, pushes the plug out. Did you see power led going off or dim?
Thanks for pointing out similar issues from other dashcam users. Your's is a logical explanation because:
- I never had this issue in the initial few months, the spring would have been stiffer and held tight.
- The 12V plug is very flimsy, the LED goes off at times even when fully inserted and rotated to certain degree.
Can't wait to receive the Aliexpress order, I will share my experience once I get to install it.

Thread Starter #29
Strontium 32gb MicroSD with OTG Card Reader - Quick Review

Strontium 32gb MicroSD with OTG Card Reader - Quick Review​
Strontium_32gb_MicroSD_OTG_Header.jpg

Hello,

Finally I have bought Strontium 32gb MicroSD with OTG Card Reader for Rs. 699/- on Amazon Great Indian Sale. [:D]

Existing 16gb card used to fill up every week and I had to copy important ones to PC otherwise dashcam would rewrite. I also needed a OTG card reader to view recorded videos on the spot.

Today evening I have received the card, packed in bubble tamper proof bag. Luckily its intact in transit. Quality and finishing of OTG card reader good but the connectors are open. Wish it had cap on both ends or slide to close. There are many Chinese card readers available locally but not durable. I have thrown lot of dead card readers and ended up buying Kingston Mobilelite G4, which is a high performance and durable card reader. I use it to copy files from my DSLR but it has only USB connector.

I would highly recommend this product, especially for those who have dashcam. However, normal price is too high on most online stores so you have to wait for festival sales or watch for best offers.

Product Snapshots:

Strontium_32gb_MicroSD_OTG_001.jpg
Strontium_32gb_MicroSD_OTG_002.jpg
Strontium_32gb_MicroSD_OTG_003.jpg
Strontium_32gb_MicroSD_OTG_004.jpg

Benchmark Report:
Strontium_32gb_MicroSD_Benchmark.jpg

As you can see, the read speeds are not as stated when plugged into Strontium OTG Card Reader but the same card performs greater in Kingston Mobilelite M4. It could be difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0. Looking forward to USB 3.0 OTG Card Readers. [:)]

Thanks...
Best Regards

Re: Strontium 32gb MicroSD with OTG Card Reader - Quick Review

Finally I have bought Strontium 32gb MicroSD with OTG Card Reader for Rs. 699/- on Amazon Great Indian Sale.
That's a steal deal! These things never drop below 800 mark. Strontium has earned my trust with their prompt replacement of a gone-kaput card few months ago.

Existing 16gb card used to fill up every week and I had to copy important ones to PC otherwise dashcam would rewrite. I also needed a OTG card reader to view recorded videos on the spot.
How is the read speed over OTG? Does it read without lags? I tried with my Strontium USB reader connected to another no-name USB to OTG but it doesn't even start playback [lol]. Thankfully, my phone has a card slot in case I have to play the recordings on the spot.

Last edited:

Top Bottom