A Weekend Trip To Baranti (Purulia, West Bengal) During Monsoon.

Thread Starter #17
Rahul Da what will be the total distance from kolkata to Baranti?
I guess it is approximately 265 KM each way. But please do not go through Asansol town, it is often very crowded and congested. Stick to NH-2 till you bypass Asansol and then reach the Chowringhee More crossing for turning left then to reach Niyamatpur (for your way to Dishergarh). If I remember correctly, this Chowringhee More is to be the first traffic signal after paying toll at Asansol toll plaza.

Thread Starter #19
Rahul Da one more question how one can book the hotel from kolkata?any number or address?
Just take the following link and scroll to the bottom. I mentioned it in my first post but I shall again post it here. Let me tell you that the facilities are basic. Please do not expect much. There are no A/C or TV in the rooms. But the room was tidy, airy, spacious and had an attached sparkling clean western style bathroom. And we had no complaint about the food either. I must also say that the accommodation there was incredibly cheap too (less than a thousand rupees a day for two persons sharing the same room, inclusive of all meals).

I am going to visit Baranti on 02.01.2013 by my new Alto. We ll be staying there for three nights. Will you please make a plan for us where to visit? How is the road?

Sir, I want to visit Baranti on 2nd january' 2013 by my new alto. I ll be staying there for 3 nights. Please arrange our tour program and please tell me how is the entire road condition. Is it safe if we start at 5 A.M?

Thread Starter #22
I want to visit Baranti on 2nd january' 2013 by my new alto.
Nice. You are most welcome. I think that the winter is the perfect time to pay a visit there.
I ll be staying there for 3 nights. Please arrange our tour program and please tell me how is the entire road condition.
I think I had put the relevant link in my earlier post somewhere in this thread. Please have a look. In case you are unable to locate it, please let me know.
Is it safe if we start at 5 A.M?
That will indeed be better. You may even avoid the dreaded traffic jam at Panagarh that way, although I feel that the situation has even improved a bit there. And although NH-2 has deteriorated over last few years, specially after Panagarh, still it is in fare shape. Do not enter Asansol town as it may be too crowded. Drive straight past the Asansol toll plaza and the road to Niyamatpur comes on your left at the first traffic signal, merely a few KMs away. You may also see the direction here.

Nice. You are most welcome. I think that the winter is the perfect time to pay a visit there.

I think I had put the relevant link in my earlier post somewhere in this thread. Please have a look. In case you are unable to locate it, please let me know.
That will indeed be better. You may even avoid the dreaded traffic jam at Panagarh that way, although I feel that the situation has even improved a bit there. And although NH-2 has deteriorated over last few years, specially after Panagarh, still it is in fare shape. Do not enter Asansol town as it may be too crowded. Drive straight past the Asansol toll plaza and the road to Niyamatpur comes on your left at the first traffic signal, merely a few KMs away. You may also see the direction here.
Thank you sir for your valuable reply. I visited Asansol by car in the month of September this year. After toll plaza at the first crossing most probably left hand side , there is Ramakrishna Mission.
Anyways, I have read all your post yesterday. They are awesome. Even I stay nearby to you. In Baranagar. Today's Newspaper (365) there is also an article on baranti.

Last October, after Durgapuja I traveled to Tarapith - Masanjore - Shantiniketan by my new Alto LXI. Towards Tarapith from Panagarh the road is in very poor condition. so, while returning from Masanjore, turning right from seorakuri we reached seuri. Then I took left turn to Bolpur road. Visiting Santiniketan we took the road through Guskara. the road directed us to Talit crossing on Durgapur Expressway. truly speaking the road was mind blowing. I heard from a tea stall that since the residence of our President Sri Pranav Mukherjee is in this area, the road condition is too good.

Nice pictures of rural Bengal. I had been to Garpanchkot and Joy Chandi Pahar but was not aware of Baranti would like to visit in case I revisit the place. Have u visited the Forest Rest House at Garpanchkot nice place for a week end very close to Sarbari More
Thanks for your TL and pictures

Thread Starter #27
I had been to Garpanchkot and Joy Chandi Pahar but was not aware of Baranti would like to visit in case I revisit the place.
But let me inform you that Baranti does not have decent accommodation. You will not even find an AC room there. My room even lacked a TV set. But on the positive side my room had a nice and clean bathroom and the food was good.
Have u visited the Forest Rest House at Garpanchkot nice place for a week end very close to Sarbari More
Yes. I stopped there when I was coming from Purulia and was going to see Panchet reservoir. But I did not stay there.

Rahul da im a big fan of your touring, in addition your write ups are very informative and tend not to ramble. if you could give us a heads up im sure there are quite a few of us from kolkata that would definitely want to drive along with you as more often than not its make s a lot of sense to go in a group as oposed to driving by ones self.

dear mr. rahul,
i have planned a trip to baranti from the 1st of october till 4th of oct this year. there are few queries which i am putting in.
1) i drive a 2010 indica dls. is the road good enough for a small car?
2) have booked at aronnok resort. do u have any idea abt that place?
3) are there plenty of insects around? my 3 and 1/2 yr old daughter is a bit scared of insects.
4) which are the places i must surely visit in these 3 days?
5) is the food cooked spicy and hot? my daughter cannot handle that.

thanx again for the great writing.

Thread Starter #30
i have planned a trip to baranti from the 1st of october till 4th of oct this year. there are few queries which i am putting in.
It is always a pleasure to help you, Sir.
1) i drive a 2010 indica dls. is the road good enough for a small car?
Possibly not at all, though it is quite sometime since when I visited it last. Am not sure about the present condition of the roads. But please take NH-2 and stick to it. Do not enter Asansol.
2) have booked at aronnok resort. do u have any idea abt that place?
Sorry no idea. But I expect it to be a decent one.
3) are there plenty of insects around? my 3 and 1/2 yr old daughter is a bit scared of insects.
Sorry again no idea. But you may keep the windows shut after the sunset to avoid those insects.
4) which are the places i must surely visit in these 3 days?
Plenty of places are there. Visit Panchet dam, Maithon reservoir, Ayodhya Hill, Garpanchakot ruins and forest. Even Biharinath Hills (the highest point in south Bengal) is not very far.
5) is the food cooked spicy and hot? my daughter cannot handle that.
I guess not. The place where I stayed offered normal home-like food. Please request the staffs at the kitchen to serve you non-spicy food and I think they will oblige.

Top Bottom