A Visit To The "Queen of The Hills (Darjeeling)"

Re: A Visit To the "Queen of The Hills (Darjeeling)"

I am sorry, as am unable to reply in detail in a single post, as all the answers will be too lengthy. Will you please send me an e-mail instead, or please call me up?
Hello Rahul Ji,

Thanks for looking into this. I already emailed you once and also sent another one. Please check, if you received it!

Definitely, I could call you if you could please PM me your contact number. Thanks again for your inputs on this.

Dear Sir. I am visiting Darjeeling on 1st of October from Kolkata and have heard of a route from Asansol to Dumka. Do you have any Idea regarding the same?I heard its worth the extra km as the road is very good. Any input regarding the same will be extremely helpful. [:)]

Thread Starter #35

Thanks for looking into this. I already emailed you once and also sent another one. Please check, if you received it!
I am sorry, although I check my mails several times a day, I am yet to receive your mail.
Definitely, I could call you if you could please PM me your contact number. Thanks again for your inputs on this.
How do I send it to you off-line? I tried but failed. [confused]
I am visiting Darjeeling on 1st of October from Kolkata and have heard of a route from Asansol to Dumka.
Better still, get the Calcutta-Dumka route instead of travelling all the way up to Asansol. Though the stretch lying in Bihar between Dumka and Bhagalpur is not so good, the rest of the route is still OK, even after the monsoon.

Thanks Rahul da for the information.Shall I take the Burdwan Sriniketan Route or Panagarh Darjeeling more Suri route to Dumka? I will be travelling in a Ritz Diesel with 2 adult and one child.

Thread Starter #37

Shall I take the Burdwan Sriniketan Route or Panagarh Darjeeling more Suri route to Dumka?
If you have an on board GPS navigation or do know your route well, I suggest that you take the Bardhaman-Sriniketan-Siuri route. It also has a better road surface. Otherwise take the Panagarh route. That is because IMHO the Panagarh-Siuri route is less confusing.

I am sorry, although I check my mails several times a day, I am yet to receive your mail.

How do I send it to you off-line? I tried but failed. [confused]

Better still, get the Calcutta-Dumka route instead of travelling all the way up to Asansol. Though the stretch lying in Bihar between Dumka and Bhagalpur is not so good, the rest of the route is still OK, even after the monsoon.
Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience. I cross checked and verified that I already activated my email settings to receive email or PM. Please help anyone. Capture.PNG

If you have an on board GPS navigation or do know your route well, I suggest that you take the Bardhaman-Sriniketan-Siuri route. It also has a better road surface. Otherwise take the Panagarh route. That is because IMHO the Panagarh-Siuri route is less confusing.
I have a GPS on Board. Will take the BDW Srinietan Route then.

Thread Starter #41

Visited Darjeeling Last week detail review coming soon.....[:)]
Please also describe the road condition, so that we all may be benefited out of it. Why do not create a separate thread of your own, to describe all in detail?

Thread Starter #42

Gentlemen and friends,
Last week I again for a trip of Darjeeling and Pelling (in Sikkim). Wish to show you some pictures from my trip. Shall be delighted if you like it.

Took the Dumka-Deoghar-Bhagalpur-Purnea route. Planned in such a way (leaving my home in north Calcutta at half past one in the morning) that I could reach Dumka town early in the morning.

The very beautiful Dumka-Deoghar (Baidyanathdham) road.
DSC_0054A.jpg

DSC_0055A.jpg

DSC_0057A.jpg

Stopping for food at a dhaba. Wife and daughter coming out for breakfast.
DSC_0062A.jpg

Leaving Deoghar (Jharkhand).
DSC_0063A.jpg

Some religious procession in Bihar.
DSC_0065A.jpg

DSC_0066A.jpg

DSC_0067A.jpg

Vikramshila Setu (Bridge) over the Ganges at Bhagalpur.
DSC_0070A.jpg

DSC_0072A.jpg

On my way to Siliguri, ultimately reaching my hotel shortly after five. Total driving time 15 hours.
DSC_0074A.jpg

Shall continue shortly. Thanks for viewing.

Rahul Da dis you take TAlit-Ghuskura-Suiri-Massonjore-Dumka route?How is the road condition?

Thread Starter #44

Rahul Da dis you take TAlit-Ghuskura-Suiri-Massonjore-Dumka route?How is the road condition?
Worse. I took an even longer route, via Bardhaman-Guskara-Sriniketan More-Purandarpur-Siuri-Messanjore-Dumka-Deoghar-Katoria-Bhagalpur-Purnia route. The road condition was almost totally good, except between Katoria and Banka. But they were manageable and this stretch is only less than 40 KMs.

Anyway, after a good night of rest we started from Siliguri. The road is very beautidul, as always, going through Mahananda river forest areas.
DSC_0077.JPG

The Sevok railway bridge, which carries the total railway traffic to all the northeastern states. Sorry for the poor picture.
DSC_0081.JPG

Initially our direction was towards Lava (West Bengal) via Kalimpong. But with sudden impulse we changed our direction and decided to visit Pelling (Sikkim). Little did we know about the road condition ahead. From Melli border check-post the total road ahead was broken, unpaved, dusty and with loose gravel.
DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0084.JPG

And bad roads meant BAD roads. I learned from several sources that there was some irregularity detected with the Sikkimese road construction department and consequently the central government has stopped all road development funding, pending proper audit. No idea how much of it is true.
DSC_0087.JPG

Here I am looking at the tyres anxiously. Fortunately my Michelin XM2 tyres were only two months old and they performed flawlessly.
DSC_0090.JPG

The tunnel before Legship town.
DSC_0096.JPG

The last few KMs after Geysing was decent.
DSC_0098.JPG

Reached Hotel Greenland in Upper Pelling. I shall advice all members of this forum not to stay there. Dirty linen, poor lights, squeaking doors made staying unpleasant.
DSC_0108.JPG

But the view from the private balcony was good. sorry it was night with no views.
DSC_0106.JPG

Here is a picture of my wife and daughter sitting at the restaurant opposite to our place of stay. I did not go there and got this picture from the first floor common area, across the road.
DSC_0110.JPG
Thanks for reading this. I shall continue soon.
Regards,
Rahul

@ Rahul da, I love your passion for road travel, been silently going thru your posts, and the in-depth pics.

All the best.

Vinod

Top Bottom