A Visit To The "Queen of The Hills (Darjeeling)"

Re: A Visit To the "Queen of The Hills (Darjeeling)"

Mr Rahul I always find your TL very inspiring, with your information from one such TL elsewhere I had taken the trip to Rajgir and Bodhgaya and enjoyed it thoroughly. I am also very tempted to take this tour. Pls keep us informed of your experiences from tours like this.

The picture of father and daughter in the TL is very nice

One more query Sir if hotels do not have parking space in Darjeeling then is there any secured common parking where one can keep his car during the stay

Thread Starter #17

Pls keep us informed of your experiences from tours like this.
Surely. But as you stay at Calcutta, you have surely visited Darjeeling previously. What may I add to enrich your knowledge?

The picture of father and daughter in the TL is very nice
Thanks a lot.

One more query Sir if hotels do not have parking space in Darjeeling then is there any secured common parking where one can keep his car during the stay
You may stay at the WBTDC's hotel, known as the tourist lodge. Several other hotels also have parking space, among them the Alice Villa Hotel is one. Gymkhana Club also has a big parking area. Almost all of the luxury hotels also have adequate car parking space. The hotel where I stayed had barely adequate room for parking a single car on the road. Please remember that most of the water of Darjeeling town is supplied by trucks. They roam throughout the night at high speed, flouting all traffic rules, bringing the water from Sinchal lake area, to supply most of the the hotels. I suspect that most of the drivers in these trucks are often drunk and they will not even bat their eyes to give your car a nasty scratch or a big dent at the middle of night.

Thread Starter #19

very informative and inspiring TL rahul da.nice snaps too.
Thanks for your kind and inspiring words.
Here is a list of top ten tourist places in Darjeeling. But I suggest that you please take local transport or engage any local tour operators for your visit. Honestly speaking, I took my car to visit the rope-way but could not locate a car parking space within one KM of it.

Now some pictures from my side. This is Keventer's restaurant. For many like me a tour of Darjeeling is never complete without a visit there. Please try this hundred year old place for their English breakfast and snacks. It is not expensive either. I recommend that you please try their Meat loaf & eggs, sausages, salami, chicken cutlet, bacon, meat balls, lollipops etc. They also serve good quality Darjeeling tea.
DSC_0140.JPG

Himalayan mountaineering institute and Darjeeling zoo are located on the same compound.
DSC_0150.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

DSC_0152.JPG

Batasia loop is a park as well as an army memorial. It has an excellent garden and you may have a good view of the town from here. Binoculars are also available here for hire.
DSC_0182.JPG

A view of the town from Batasia loop.
DSC_0184.JPG

DSC_0186.JPG

In case you drive here with your own car and find your car dirty, here encircled in red is a decent car washing facility. This place is right on the main road (Hill Cart Road), some hundred meters north of the Batasia loop. You may even leave your car for washing there, enjoy your views and collect your car. They charged Rs 350/- for vacuuming and cleaning my car and I had seen that they used genuine 3M products.
DSC_0185.JPG

Now this is the road to Tiger Hill, which is the highest point in Darjeeling town. The sunrise seen from here is spectacular. It is said that on a clear morning you may even have a look of Mount Everest from here.
DSC_0216.JPG

The toll gate showing the fees.
DSC_0207.JPG

A view of the top, with the communication towers.
DSC_0210.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

And nothing is complete in Darjeeling without a ride in the toy trains of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. Some photos from my side.
DSC_0219.JPG

DSC_0220.JPG

DSC_0223.JPG

DSC_0224.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

Thanks for reading. Any question or comment is most welcome.
Regards,
Rahul

Mr Rahul nice TL. Please tell us something about your journey from Lolay Gaon to Darjeeling, the road condition and the hotel. If possible pls post some pictures of the route. Is it possible to drive your car upto the hotel or there is a separate parking arrangement.

Do you feel cars with low ground clearance like Alto K10 will be able to manage the road condition and the steepness with four persons.

Thanks
Alto k10 is the 1000 cc trusted engine which also powers the estilo and wagon r... its a good engine and can negotiate steeper climbs. I have done steepr routes with 4 pax and luggage in the m800 which is the younger sibling engine to k10. You just need to hav the rev correct and the gears in position even before the bend or the climb comes in

gc would definitely not be a prob.

Rahul -> Good TL. Just that when you say Hill Cart road is an option to Darjeeling, it is not. What i know that it is closed for past several years due to landslide and which is why they built up on the Rohini road.

Where was your wife? You left her back home this time or what? The Keventer's photo was lip smacking. Did you not find a place on the Keventers roof?

Also the Tiger Hill climb is great. But somewhat bothered with the clutter of communication towers that they have built.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #21

Rahul -> Good TL. Just that when you say Hill Cart road is an option to Darjeeling, it is not. What i know that it is closed for past several years due to landslide and which is why they built up on the Rohini road.
Yes. I knew very well that Hill Cart Road was closed since last couple of years. However, so far information is available with me, the authorities are now trying hard to repair the damaged section and there are chances that it may be reopened for traffic before the upcoming Pujas.
Where was your wife? You left her back home this time or what?
She was very much with us. In fact, all the pictures were clicked by her.
The Keventer's photo was lip smacking. Did you not find a place on the Keventers roof?
Did you mean the open terrace? Yes, I am fond of taking a seat there, like most of us do.

@rahul4640,Sir did take any snap of Kanchenjunga? We had a nice view of it during our visit in February from Batasia and not to mention from Tiger Hill. We could not capture all the glory of Kanchenjunga at sunrise from Tiger Hill through our modest camera. If you have such photo please share it and mention the camera & model used to shoot it.

Thread Starter #24

Friends,
With some more photos I shall like to conclude my travelogue. The last day I left Darjeeling at around eight in the morning. Stopped at Siliguri at a place called "Hong Kong Market". It is a place where cheap & counterfeit products are available at throwaway prices. They are usually all fake items. My daughter purchased two cheap wristwatches and my wife got two umbrellas. I was tempted by a Zippo lighter but restrained myself, as it was surely a fake.

After a two hour break at Siliguri drove almost non-stop, reaching Calcutta at around three O'clock in the morning of next day.

Here is a picture of me, just before starting from Darjeeling.
DSC_0230.JPG

Rohini Road, on my way to Siliguri.
DSC_0235.JPG

DSC_0237.JPG

Siliguri-Purnea Highway in the state of West Bengal.
DSC_0244.JPG

Siliguri-Purnea Highway in the state of Bihar.
DSC_0247.JPG

This is actually a four lane crossing. Straight road goes to Purnea town. At right (not visible in the picture) goes the four laned divided expressway to Darbhanga, Muzaffarpur and places beyond. Left goes NH 31 towards Nawada and Jhumritelaiya.
DSC_0248.JPG

The bridge on Ganga river near Bhagalpur. Unfortunately this is the last photo which I have, Falling light prevented my wife from taking any more picture.
DSC_0251.JPG

Thanks for reading. Any question or query is welcome.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas,
Cossipore, North Calcutta.

rahulji

Very interesting and wonderful travelogue and very informative too[clap].

The pictures are excellent.

Trust you had a wonderful holiday with your family and above all a great drive.

What was the temperature up hills?

Thread Starter #26

Very interesting and wonderful travelogue and very informative too[clap]. The pictures are excellent.
Thanks Mr. Ram. As always, you words are always kind and inspiring.

Trust you had a wonderful holiday with your family and above all a great drive. What was the temperature up hills?
Yes, I enjoyed the drive and had a wonderful stay this time. Like my good friend Chandranath has once said somewhere in this forum that Darjeeling was for anytime. And the weather never exceeded 20-22 degrees, the usual for Darjeeling for the month of May.

Rahul da excellent write up i visited Darjeeling seven years back with my wife. Reading you TL all my memories got refreshed I still remember my shopping at Hong Kong market few Diesel Jeans along with some nice bags and shoes I really have a plan to this trip again but this time I will plan to drive from Pune I am sure your TL will be great help for riders from other parts of the country who wish to drive in this part of India

Hi Rahul
Two questions.. I understand that you started about 3 AM, when did you reach Lolegaon? Also what was your average speed?

I also plan to make a similar trip with my wife but would definitely be open to another family (2 cars) because of the security it provides on a long trip.

Hello All,
I am planning for a road trip to Darjeeling and Sikkim in October with family. Need your advice on finalizing my trip plan. Presently below is some rough plan:

Route Plan:
I would start from Kharagpur (my home town) and would travel to Berhampore (Murshidabad). There my sister and brother-in-law would join us.

My first doubt is which road I should take from Berhampore to Siliguri?

I found maximum experts advised to take Dumka-Bhagalpur-Purnia route to avoid NH34 for people travelling from Kolkata. But, considering my situation of travelling through Berhampore which route could be the best option?

Below is the Google map distance for two routes from Berhampore as per my knowledge:
- If travel through NH34 through Farakka-Malda-Raiganj-Dalkhola, its showing 385KM. Any luck of NH34 condition improved?
capture_1.png
- Through Dumka-Bhagalpur-Purnia, its showing 528KM. Will it make sense to take this route instead of NH34, considering would need to travel 140 KM additional (also the time)?
capture_2.png
Travel Time – Planning to start at 5AM keeping target to reach Siliguri by evening. If can’t make it, would stop for night halt depending on the progress.

Complete Trip Plan:
Day1: Kharagpur – Berhampore – Siliguri (if possible).
Day2: Reach Darjeeling and if possible visit some local places.
Day3: local sightseeing at Darjeeling.
Day4: Start from Darjeeling and reach to Gangtok.
Day 5: Nathula, Baba Harbhajan Singh Mandir and Tsango Lake visit.
Day6: Stay at Gangtok. (Open for any suggestion to visit any nearby places).
Day7: Start early morning from Gangtok and reach Berhampore and night stay.
Day8: Berhampore – Kharagpur.

Some Additional Questions:
1. If can’t reach to Siliguri, then any specific place for night stay?
2. I would be driving my Ertiga ZXI. Would it be any issue taking it to Darjeeling and Gangtok?
3. Which road to take from Siliguri to Darjeeling?
4. Is there any permit required to take West Bengal registration car to Darjeeling and Sikkim (Gangtok)?
5. Can I travel by my car to local places in Darjeeling and Gangtok?
6. Which road to take from Darjeeling to Gangtok? Any places to visit on the way?
7. Anything else I am missing, which should be considered?
8. Also welcome any other suggestions or guidance for the trip.

I created a separate post as "Need Advice For a Family Trip To Darjeeling and Gangtok" under 'Travel Itinerary' section regarding this, but did not get any response yet....So, I am posting here again in a hope to get some advice.

Please help with you valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance to all!

Thread Starter #30

Hello All,
I am planning for a road trip to Darjeeling and Sikkim in October with family. Need your advice on finalizing my trip plan. Presently below is some rough plan:

Route Plan:
I would start from Kharagpur (my home town) and would travel to Berhampore (Murshidabad). There my sister and brother-in-law would join us.

My first doubt is which road I should take from Berhampore to Siliguri?

I found maximum experts advised to take Dumka-Bhagalpur-Purnia route to avoid NH34 for people travelling from Kolkata. But, considering my situation of travelling through Berhampore which route could be the best option?

Below is the Google map distance for two routes from Berhampore as per my knowledge:
- If travel through NH34 through Farakka-Malda-Raiganj-Dalkhola, its showing 385KM. Any luck of NH34 condition improved?
View attachment 146807
- Through Dumka-Bhagalpur-Purnia, its showing 528KM. Will it make sense to take this route instead of NH34, considering would need to travel 140 KM additional (also the time)?
View attachment 146808
Travel Time – Planning to start at 5AM keeping target to reach Siliguri by evening. If can’t make it, would stop for night halt depending on the progress.

Complete Trip Plan:
Day1: Kharagpur – Berhampore – Siliguri (if possible).
Day2: Reach Darjeeling and if possible visit some local places.
Day3: local sightseeing at Darjeeling.
Day4: Start from Darjeeling and reach to Gangtok.
Day 5: Nathula, Baba Harbhajan Singh Mandir and Tsango Lake visit.
Day6: Stay at Gangtok. (Open for any suggestion to visit any nearby places).
Day7: Start early morning from Gangtok and reach Berhampore and night stay.
Day8: Berhampore – Kharagpur.

Some Additional Questions:
1. If can’t reach to Siliguri, then any specific place for night stay?
2. I would be driving my Ertiga ZXI. Would it be any issue taking it to Darjeeling and Gangtok?
3. Which road to take from Siliguri to Darjeeling?
4. Is there any permit required to take West Bengal registration car to Darjeeling and Sikkim (Gangtok)?
5. Can I travel by my car to local places in Darjeeling and Gangtok?
6. Which road to take from Darjeeling to Gangtok? Any places to visit on the way?
7. Anything else I am missing, which should be considered?
8. Also welcome any other suggestions or guidance for the trip.

I created a separate post as "Need Advice For a Family Trip To Darjeeling and Gangtok" under 'Travel Itinerary' section regarding this, but did not get any response yet....So, I am posting here again in a hope to get some advice.

Please help with you valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance to all!
I am sorry, as am unable to reply in detail in a single post, as all the answers will be too lengthy. Will you please send me an e-mail instead, or please call me up?

Top Bottom