A Tata Nano and Young Man: The Life Of Us

Congratulations for your Nano.. I like the car very much, my friend owns it and I get to drive it some time. It is very spacious compared to M800 and tall too.

I am looking to buy nano for me... Can you tell me for how much did you buy it so that I can get idea about value of nano.

Thread Starter #17
An update after a long time. Current odometer reading - 43800 kms.

I was having a busy schedule. Hence, couldn't update regularly. Myself and 3 of my friends did our internship at Ashok Leyland, Chennai from May 2019 to July 2019. Hence, drove the little guy to Chennai. Completed 4k kms in these 2 months. The mileage used to range between 15kmpl and 16kmpl.

I did complete a Chennai - Pondicherry - Chennai trip between 20 and 21st July. Constantly maintained speeds between 80kmph and 90kmph. For a round trip of about 430kms, including the city driving, got an average of 20.5kmpl. While returning, it took around 2 hours to reach Anna Nagar from ECR. Such was the traffic.
While returning home from Chennai to Coimbatore, I had my first solo drive. Started at Chennai at 5.38 am and reached Coimbatore by 3.30 pm. The first stop was at Chengalpattu for breakfast and the next break was at Ulundurpet, followed by another break at Salem. Speeds maintained was constantly between 90kmph and 95kmph. The little guy returned an average of 20kmpl with AC on full time.

While returning Chennai from Pondicherry, had a chance to get into a completely dried lake. There were a gang of bikers, accompanied by a Jaguar F-Pace, a Hyundai Creta and the old Ford Figo. The surface of the lake was around 5 feet below the road with an inclination of approximately 60°. Did a small photoshoot in the lake. The Creta was the first one to leave, but not so easily. The FWD configuration didn't help it and the front wheels were spinning heavily, looking for traction. After 4 attempts, the Creta left. The F-Pace was the next and it left easily without any hiccup. I was about to leave, with the biker gang and the Figo people looking at the Nano curiously. I was obvious that the Nano would just climb and as per my thought, the little guy just made it easily without any sweat. People there were completely surprised of it. The Nano proved its capabilities here.

I have to mention this, the Nano is one lovely car to drive. The all round independent suspension with the non- power steering is the best thing I like in the Nano. It just oozes confidence for a car in its class. Not once I was tired of driving the Nano. Such was the way with which the suspension behaved. While the later Nanos like the Twist and the GenX, have a compilant ride, the pre-twist models are quite stiff, but have an edge in cornering. Also the non-power steering is my choice. My friend has a twist and a GenX, which I have driven comprehensively and to conclude, these ride better than the pre-twist models, but if you want to be behind the wheel, the pre-twist models are to go for.

On highways, expect for the cross winds, which affect the composure a little, there was no problem. The 21 year old me was all happiness, after completing my first solo drive in the Nano. My people at home were surprised to see me and Nano doing it all alone. They were all praise for the little guy.

Gave the little guy a mid-life refresh by debadging the rear, painting the stock alloys to Golden Bronze shade. Got the TATA logo painted black by myself. Also gifted the little guy a dashcam. Ordered the E-Ace dashcam from AliExpress for Rs1.8k, including shipping. In addition to the rear camera, it also has a front facing camera for the in-cabin recording purpose. Have been using it for around a month, and to conclude, it is one VFM choice, with a good quality recording and the features it offers at this price.

Pictures to be followed in the next post. Please share your comments.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN

Last edited:
Thread Starter #18
Some pictures of the little guy. Do share your comments and queries. Am open to both positive and negative feedbacks.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #20
Very nicely maintained Nano, a few questions.
1. Have you changed the tyres? If so what make and configuration.
2. Is your battery OEM?
3. How did the additional fog lights perform, and cost etc.
Regards
Thank You, Nanofreak.
1. Have changed the rear tyres 8k kms back, they are MRF ZEC with the stock size. Will be upgrading the front tyres also to the rear size.
2. The battery is upgraded to 35Ah to handle the 100/90 headlights with relay, the Minda horns and the auxiliary lights.
3. The auxiliary lights costed me 400 a pair. They were installed to act as spot lights and did their job well. But they aren't in working condition thanks to a cycle hit. I'm thinking of upgrading to Neolite auxiliary lights. Will update once I get it installed.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN

Thank You, Nanofreak.
1. Have changed the rear tyres 8k kms back, they are MRF ZEC with the stock size. Will be upgrading the front tyres also to the rear size.
2. The battery is upgraded to 35Ah to handle the 100/90 headlights with relay, the Minda horns and the auxiliary lights.
3. The auxiliary lights costed me 400 a pair. They were installed to act as spot lights and did their job well. But they aren't in working condition thanks to a cycle hit. I'm thinking of upgrading to Neolite auxiliary lights. Will update once I get it installed.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN
The battery is upgraded to 35Ah to handle the 100/90 headlights with relay (Isn't 100W too powerful for the plastic headlights and chrome reflectors? Did the plastic hold without deteriorating or melting?)
I would like to try this on my Nano and Nexon

Thank You, Nanofreak.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN
The battery is upgraded to 35Ah to handle the 100/90 headlights with relay (Isn't 100W too powerful for the plastic headlights and chrome reflectors? Did the plastic hold without deteriorating or melting?)

Thread Starter #22

So far so good, no damage to the reflectors. Have the same setup in our Hyundai i10 for the past 9 years and is still holding well.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN

Top Bottom