A Tata Nano and Young Man: The Life Of Us

Thread Starter #1
"Heart speaks out, while the Mind orders"
I decided to follow what my heart speaks and hence, the below.

Greetings to the fellow members out here. The below is an ownership review of our beloved pre-owned TATA Nano. The car has clocked 6k kilometers since the purchase and the odometer now stands at 34100 kilometers.

Introduction:
I am Vaishak Murugesan, a 20 year old Mechanical Engineering student from a reputed college in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. Like every kid, once I reached 18, I asked my parents a bike. After a detailed look at the market, we finally booked a Royal Enfield Classic 350 on January 15, 2017 and the bike was delivered on April 7, 2017. Everything was going fine and I was enjoying my bike. One fine day, due to some insect bite, I had developed a skin allergy. I was advised to stay away from the heat sources, and hence I was advised not to ride two wheelers for quite a sometime. Hence, my parents decided to get me a car for the college rides.

The Search:
Budget not being a constraint, my parents asked me to search for a car of my liking. Myself and my dad test drove quite a few cars like Maruti 800, Maruti Zen, but those vehicles didn't connect to me. Then, one fine day, our FNG friend, who is also our relative, informed us about a 2001 Honda City Vtec. I was excited a lot and myself and my dad turned up to him for a TD. The vehicle had clocked around 110k kilometers. The vehicle was a Chennai registered vehicle with 4 owners. Though the vehicle's history was too old and with multiple hands, the car had a decent exterior and a well maintained interior. The TD went very smooth and myself and my dad came back happy. Went home in the evening, but then I was taken back by my dad's decision. My dad informed that we weren't getting the Honda City, the reason being, it was too old with multiple hands. With a heavy heart, I deleted the Honda City from me.

The Selection:
The search continued for a month and one fine day, my uncle brought home a white colored 2012 TATA Nano Lx Special Edition, which had clocked just 28k kilometers in 6 years. He said that the vehicle is for sale. My dad asked me my opinion. We had a look at the vehicle and we liked it. Within a week, the deal was closed and finally, we brought home our second car, the 2012 TATA Nano Lx Special Edition on July 15, 2018.

About the car:
Name: TATA Nano
Variant: Lx Special Edition
Model: 2012
History: 1st owner with 28k kilometers

The strange issue:
We did a regular service within a week of purchasing the car, so as to ensure that the vehicle is updated to our liking. During the initial days, we felt the suspension throwing us up and down, also the clutch was very hard. Hence changed the suspension as well as the clutch assembly. The car was now running fine, expect for an issue. After the suspension change, a strange noise kind of thing started from the rear right side. Whenever this noise occurred, the car would idle irregularly and also, the car would accelerate on its own, without any accelerator input. These would happen only when the AC is running.The issue persisted for a month and a half, and our FNG couldn't find a solution to this issue. Hence, decided to have a check with the TAFE Service Centre. After a check, the TAFE people said that the vehicle is running fine and no issue would happen. That wasn't the case though. The problem still persisted.

I used to turn the AC on as soon as the vehicle is started. One day, I decided to switch the AC on, after travelling for a kilometer or two. The noise along with the uneven idling vanished. From then, I make sure that I travel some 1 or 2 kilometers before I switch on the AC.

The Good:
The vehicle is performing very well. I enjoy my time with my little TATA. The compact dimensions make it a lot of fun in the city rides. The car used to return around 14 kmpl to 15 kmpl within the city. I wanted some more performance. Hence consulted my FNG and he said that removing the catalytic converter will bring some good low end torque. I decided to go with his words and now with catalytic converter removed, the vehicle is a whole lot of fun to drive. The in-gear acceleration has become strong and the little TATA has become a lot more fun than before. The mileage has also improved. Now, the vehicle consistently returns an average of 16.5 kmpl within the city limits. The mileage stays the same for both with and without AC.

Long Trips:
1. Coimbatore-Gobichettipalaym-Coimbatore - 300 kilometers - Twice
Mileage: 20 kmpl
Speed: 80 kmph to 90 kmph , Occasionally 100 kmph
Occupants: 4
2. Coimbatore-Thirumoorthy Hills-Coimbatore - 240 kilometers - Once
Mileage: 25 kmpl
Speed: 70 kmph to 80 kmph
Occupants: 2

Music System:
The vehicle came with a JVC KDR-436 1 Din music system with AUX, CD, and USB input. It has been replaced with a 1 Din Pioneer music system from our Hyundai i10, as our Hyundai i10's music system is now changed to a touchscreen system. The Pioneer music system has the same features as the JVC system. I also use a FM based bluetooth receiver for the songs as well as the calls.

Modifications / Accessories added:
1. LED parking lights
2.LED number plate lights
3. 100/90W headlights with relay
4. Minda horn
5. Bosch Frameless wiper
6. Number plates of my liking
7. 1 Din Pioneer music system from our Hyundai i10
8. A pair a speakers
9. Reverse Camera
10. 12V socket

Cosmetic Modifications:
1. Black tints
2. Smoked tail lights
3.. Wrapped RVMs and spoiler - Black

Summary:
2. Rear engine, RWD configuration
3. Compact dimensions
4. Spacious for 4 people
5. Enough power for the city as well as the highway
6. Superb handling ( our other car being the Hyundai i10 which has an average handling character )
7. Great feedback from the steering
8. Flat ride
9. The multi-spoke alloys have an understated look

Dislikes:
1. Poor brakes
2. Thin seats
3. 15l fuel tank

Overall, I am very much satisfied with our TATA Nano. It is very much what I wanted, i.e., a TATA, petrol engine, compact and most importantly, the driving feel. This little TATA has an awesome combination of an almost flat ride, sharp handling and a well communicative steering.

Relatives weren't convinced with my decision of getting the TATA Nano.Out of the 10, only 2 of my friends gave thumbs up to my decision of getting the TATA Nano, but then, it is a matter of love and ,my love for this little TATA will never end.

Let me share some pictures of our ride.

Attachments

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Congrats on the tiny devil.
The car looks well maintained but the tints are looking too dark and you may run into issues with cops.
May I know how much you brought it for and how much expense for suspension & Clutch work?
Nano does have a soft corner in my heart.

Thread Starter #3
Thank You bhvm.
Yes, the tints are too dark, but then I liked it. So went with it.
Regarding the price, we paid a lakh for it and spent around 18k on the suspension and clutch assembly.

Regards,
Vaishak Murugesan

Thread Starter #5
Thank You @SiverEyez for the good words. Regarding the price, yes it is a little bit higher than the market value, but then, the vehicle had a clean history. Hence, went with it.

Regards,
Vaishak Murugesan

Vaishak

You've got a car which has been my love for years now. Owing to my better half's no no, I skipped this tiny beauty and went with Santro Xing in 2013, spending 4.36 L when I could have bought this tiny beauty new for just 2.1L on road post offered discounts. I still get chanvce to drive my neighbour friend's LX 2010 manual, and I do enjoy riding it, though alone [clap]

Thread Starter #7
Vaishak

You've got a car which has been my love for years now. Owing to my better half's no no, I skipped this tiny beauty and went with Santro Xing in 2013, spending 4.36 L when I could have bought this tiny beauty new for just 2.1L on road post offered discounts. I still get chanvce to drive my neighbour friend's LX 2010 manual, and I do enjoy riding it, though alone [clap]
Better listen the better-half for the betterment of life . Jokes aside, you can still get this tiny beauty. With great discounts on offer currently, I think you'll end up with a good deal.

Thank You for the good words.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN

Thread Starter #8
Time for some updates.
The little TATA crossed the 35k milestone some 2 weeks back. Last Monday, did the alignment and balancing which costed me Rs.500. Also, the little TATA got hit by a two wheeler. I was taking the free left, during which the two wheeler hit the rear left side. The tail lamp came out slightly and also got a few black marks. The two wheeler guy didn't even care to stop and have a look. Anyway, it happens and everything's for good.

The mileage is about 15kmpl to 15.5 kmpl as usual. Having a busy schedule right now and hence have not gone for a long trip. Have to plan and take the little TATA for a good soul satisfying long trip. The last trip was on 01 - 01 - 2019. Since then, only the college rides as usual.

The odometer reading stands at 35400kms. Will take the little TATA for the scheduled service once he crosses 36000kms.

Have attached some pictures. Will update the thread, once the 36k service is done.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN

Attachments

Time for some updates.
The little TATA crossed the 35k milestone some 2 weeks back. Last Monday, did the alignment and balancing which costed me Rs.500. Also, the little TATA got hit by a two wheeler. I was taking the free left, during which the two wheeler hit the rear left side. The tail lamp came out slightly and also got a few black marks. The two wheeler guy didn't even care to stop and have a look. Anyway, it happens and everything's for good.

The mileage is about 15kmpl to 15.5 kmpl as usual. Having a busy schedule right now and hence have not gone for a long trip. Have to plan and take the little TATA for a good soul satisfying long trip. The last trip was on 01 - 01 - 2019. Since then, only the college rides as usual.

The odometer reading stands at 35400kms. Will take the little TATA for the scheduled service once he crosses 36000kms.

Have attached some pictures. Will update the thread, once the 36k service is done.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN
A well maintained Nano, just do the basics as far as regular maintenance is concerned, change engine oil and filter every 6-8k km, but do get the air filter cleaned regularly as it gets dirty very fast.
Nice alloys.

Thread Starter #12
Nice to read your last update. Does a Nano need a 36k service? I mean what's the service interval ? Every 10k or 12k?
Regarding the 36k service, the vehicle was last serviced at 28k kms, at the time of the purchase. I try to get the service done every 7k to 8k kms. Hence, I'm about to get it serviced at 36k kms.

Thank You,
VaishaK MurugesaN

Nice to know we are in the same group of NANO TECHNICALs. Let's catch up when you visit Chennai
Yes Sir. Its a pleasure to share the space with you. Will definitely ping you when I'm visiting Chennai.

Thank You,
VaishaK MurugesaN

A well maintained Nano, just do the basics as far as regular maintenance is concerned, change engine oil and filter every 6-8k km, but do get the air filter cleaned regularly as it gets dirty very fast.
Nice alloys.
Thank You Sir for the kind words. Will follow your words.
Regarding the alloys, it is a standard fitment for the Special Edition variants. I'm planning to paint it either in the copper shade or the black shade. What's your take on it fellow members?

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN

Thank You Sir for the kind words. Will follow your words.
Regarding the alloys, it is a standard fitment for the Special Edition variants. I'm planning to paint it either in the copper shade or the black shade. What's your take on it fellow members?

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN
Copper will look nice, instead of painting get it wrapped, as once you get bored you can always change the colour.

Top Bottom