A Reality Check: How Many of Us Actually Wear Seat Belts?

Do you wear your seat belt?

• Total voters
The reason I buckle up is because it's been a habit since childhood. Every time I sat at the front, I had to buckle up.
And when I began to drive, I always used the seat belts and now it is more of a comfort thing. I don't feel comfy without it. Even for very short distance, I buckle up without even thinking about it. Happens automatically when I sit to drive.

Yeah, sure is a good thing. You don't lose anything. It helps you to be in total control over the car anytime.
For people, it isn't 'cool' to buckle up. I use to get that a lot. Like 'why do you use the seat belt, no cops around ', 'what, are you scared? '
I don't get it! :/

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I have voted YES. I always buckle the seat belt the moment I sit in the front seat not because fear of Police but I made it as a practice.!!!

We had an accident yesterday, even though it was a low speed collision, the impact could have had a devastating effect. My wife and i were wearing seat belts which saved us from injuries.
So always buckle up and drive...

in B2b and crawling traffic, i do not wear. but at regular speeds of above 40 i wear seatbealts. i do not take my safari to place with heavy traffic, i will either in my duke or karizma or bicycle.

I always buckle up. In fact, I have a habit of wearing seat belt even when the car is parked. When getting in the car, the first thing I do is reach for the seatbelt, even before turning on the key. I remembered an incident. While auditioning ICE in some cars last year, I buckled up even before putting the key in the keyhole and other people reminded me that "You are not driving" but I have got used to it now. It is a strange but good thing. Some habits die hard. [lol]

For those who can not make their mind to wear seatbelts, I strongly and seriously suggest going through the 'Accidents in India' thread of the forum. It proved very useful for convincing my relatives, friends and family members to wear seat belts.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
in B2b and crawling traffic, i do not wear. but at regular speeds of above 40 i wear seatbealts. i do not take my safari to place with heavy traffic, i will either in my duke or karizma or bicycle.
it's always recommended to buckle up in heavy traffic too. who knows when conditions suddenly change?
BTW I'm impressed you use an bicycle too.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

Research shows that in case of a head-on collision, a person sitting on the rear seat without a seat belt increases the chance of fatalities by 50%. Not only does the rear passenger, as police recall, bear the maximum brunt of a crash, but they are also catapulted forward, hitting the person on the front seat into an exploding air bag. The use of rear seat belts reduces these risks by 73%, say experts, who also point out that children are likely to be 92% safer if they use rear seat belts.
Link

Regards

Akash

I always wore seat belt. It was just a habit since driving with my dad. Many years ago, my dad usually modify his cars for speed, and he always drilled it in us (my siblings and I) to always wear seat belt. A lot of person says seat belt are nuisance, I am the absolute opposite, Not having on a seat belt is a nuisance. The only problem I usually have are dirty seat belts which means if I am taking public transportation, most time I sit around the back.

I always wear seat belt and now a days I used to insist co-passenger to wear seat belt. Started this as a habit in my first car, Chevy Beat, there was a warning for seat belt reminder for driver and I never want to have a red indicator on MID though I was not so cautious about safety when I bought the car(Yes, that is a base version without ABS/Airbags)

Voted for YES.

We buckle up before cranking the engine. Though rear passengers only buckle on highway drives.

I buckle up as soon as I'm comfortable on the seat... I play around a lot with the height adjusters too.... It took me years to convince my parents to wear seatbelts on long drives,
As they occupy the rear seats 90% of the time..
My dad though, i need to still prompt him to wear seatbelts on the front seat... He'll quickly buckle up When i remind him of cops(he hates them cops to the core)..[lol]

Last month, our family took delivery of the Tucson, and on the way back my grandmother was all excited about the 6 airbags... When I abrupted saying that no airbag would work unless you guys wear your seatbelts...
The very next day there was a death in the family and we had to hit the highway.. and all 5 passengers had buckled up!

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
yes. a lot of people don't know about the link between airbags & seatbelt. a group of college goers met a serious accident in Ford ecosport. the Kids got thrown out of the car and got serious fractures all around. his parents were fuming why the airbags didn't work and all.

when I told airbags are deactive without proper seat belts, he went silent.

yes. a lot of people don't know about the link between airbags & seatbelt. a group of college goers met a serious accident in Ford ecosport. the Kids got thrown out of the car and got serious fractures all around. his parents were fuming why the airbags didn't work and all.

when I told airbags are deactive without proper seat belts, he went silent.
i thought these are two independent mechanism.in FIAT you have option to deactivate the Airbags.Is it specific to FORD ?

Top Bottom